PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Danny Woodhead gone, signs with Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just Come out and say it, nobody has any faith in a white running back. I ho.estly believe that is a problem with alot of people. Some are going crazy over Demps, when he has Nothing on Woodhead. Where is the logic there? If Vereen doesn't have brains, what is there to gain?

Let's just Come out and say it, nobody has any faith in a white running back. I ho.estly believe that is a problem with alot of people. Some are going crazy over Demps, when he has Nothing on Woodhead. Where is the logic there? If Vereen doesn't have brains, what is there to gain?

the-people-s-eyebrow-o.gif

:confused: What? Who says Vereen isn't as intelligent as Woodhead in terms of football smarts. It isn't rocket science. And if it is he has Matt Patrica to help him out.

I don't agree it has to do with race (maybe there is a little of that) but I think everyone's on Vereens jock primarily because he was relatively high drafted. People think "we'll of course Vereen had to be better, he's a high draft pick".

In reality, the numbers in every single way support Woodhead. Just my take.

People/society in general look at many factors of an individual and make snap, visceral judgements. Race-skin color-ethnicity along with weight, height, sex, attractiveness, accent, social status, company among a host of other things are on that list. Look into just about any internet forum and you will see this to varying yet frequently wide spread degree (the anonymity of the internet breeds some of the less savory aspects of the human condition where emotions rule actions). I suggest, though, it isn't worth any of your consideration time. I'm sure players get comments about them or opinions on their X given for non football reasons frequently. It really is one of those 'it just is what it is' things. Very fortunately, what people on an internet forum opine about a player based on anything but metrics has damn near close to zero meaning to BB. DW's production level and, probably more important, his dollar to production value is what matters to BB.

Regarding that, DW no longer being a Patriot is a logical outcome. That part has little to nothing to do with his skin color, it has everything to do with production to dollar value. DW's contract with the Chargers pays him something around 1.75 million per year for 2 years. Vereen probably costs half that. Given that cap room is a premium, given that our stable of RBs looks pretty good, given that Vereen has shown flashes of having a big upside, BB could afford to let DW go. It's unfortunate as he was reliable and there could(?) be a time this season that we miss him but, again, the bottom line calculations that need to be done by NFL teams made DW expendable to us -- much like BJGE of last year. Personally I am glad he, and BJGE, landed on their feet. Solid, Patriot type players like these two are the kind of players I root for....

Hope things work out OK for Woodhead, not too good, but better than this.

Running back Ryan Mathews lent credence to speculation that the San Diego Chargers' 2012 collapse was the result of a lax locker room.
Mathews said in an NFL Network interview the team grew "complacent" last season. Former head coach Norv Turner's ability -- or inability -- to motivate players was a common criticism in his six years at the helm in San Diego.
Veterans including Donald Butler took umbrage with Mathews' sentiment. Per U-T San Diego, Butler said the third-year running back Mathews did not speak for all Chargers.
The Chargers struggled mightily in various facets throughout 2012, and few quite like the run game. San Diego ranked No. 27 in the National Football League with just 91.3 yards per game. Mathews gained 707 yards and scored only one touchdown.
Perhaps complacency impacted some Bolts more than others, but a priority in the organization's offseason of change must be removing any complacent attitudes from the locker room.
Y! SPORTS

I don't agree it has to do with race (maybe there is a little of that) but I think everyone's on Vereens jock primarily because he was relatively high drafted. People think "we'll of course Vereen had to be better, he's a high draft pick".

In reality, the numbers in every single way support Woodhead. Just my take.

Vereen was a 2nd round investment. If Woodhead is playing, he makes the 2nd round pick not as valuable.

I really like Woodhead, but, it's Vereen's time now. Hopefully he makes the most of his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes