PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is a team that struggled with the winless Chiefs?? There are ups and downs all over the place. They played a tough game in San Diego and were impressive and pummeled the Browns. (But what team will not pummel them this year..or at this time.??)
It should be a good game, but please no more trolls with Raven poop. We all know that the trolls talk so much BEFORE and when they lose, they go running away.

How good is a team that struggled with the winless Chiefs?? There are ups and downs all over the place. They played a tough game in San Diego and were impressive and pummeled the Browns. (But what team will not pummel them this year..or at this time.??)
It should be a good game, but please no more trolls with Raven poop. We all know that the trolls talk so much BEFORE and when they lose, they go running away.

The Ravens posters have been FAR AND AWAY the best opposing team posters over the past few years.

I give these folks credit. They have been analytical and upfront. They haven't been doing too much smack talking. We can disagree, etc. but they have been giving some great, pointed arguments.

Yup, both teams were 11-5.

Who knows what the Patriots would have done if they hadn't been the first team to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs since 1990. They won 5 out of their last 6 (only loss coming against the eventual SB Champs). They were the hottest team in the NFL down the stretch. The second string QB (who did NOT practice with the first string receivers for an entire training camp) was then beginning to mesh. Who knows what they could have done in the playoffs.

BTW, the other "fact" was that the NYJets threw their last game against the Phins (literally, Mr. Favre). MANY things worked into the tie breaker loss for the Pats.

But that was last year.

This week counts.

As I said, AT THIS TIME, the Ravens are the top echelon in the NFL. They have every reason to believe they can be victorious this Sunday.

I'm dating myself but I see many parallels to what theses 2007-2009 Pats are doing to the 1990-1992 49ers...

Year 1 (Pats 2007/ 49ers 1990)
-Both teams had crazy-good offenses
-Both teams had outstanding QBs
-Both teams lost to a Giants team that they were supposed to beat (did in the regular season) in a very ugly way to end their season.

Following Season (49ers 1991 Pats 2008)
-Both teams lost their starting QB (Montana was hurt in 1990 NFCCC and gave way to Young in 1991. Young got hurt and in came Steve Bono)
-Both teams finished with winning records, on hot-streaks to close out the regular seaason and out of the playoffs.

Season #3 (1992 49ers/ 2009 Pats)
-Both teams start 2-1 and played the Jets and Bills in first 3 games of the year.

Thought it was interesting...

Last edited:
I prefer to lose this one , and win the AFC Championship Game. ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully the running game has another good game. I don't like Brady dropping back 30-35 times a game.

It's BJGE time baby! I hope Taylor, Faulk and him can give TB a rest

Hopefully the running game has another good game. I don't like Brady dropping back 30-35 times a game.

The Ravens run D is very tough, better this year than last, now that top run-stuffer DT Kelly Gregg has returned after missing all of last season.

rushing yards per game: 51.0 (#1 in the NFL)
Yards per carry: 2.5 ypc (#2)

yards per game: 81.4 (#3)
ypc: 3.6 (#5)

yards per game: 79.3 (#2)
ypc: 2.8 (#1)

yards per game: 75.9 (#2)
ypc: 3.3 (#2)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pretty much abandon the run, except for some draws from the shotgun, spread out the Ravens D and pass all day long like San Diego did. The Chargers ran the ball just 6 times in the 3rd quarter, then twice in the 4th (including the ill-fated final Sproles run of the game). That's one of the reasons Welker's health is so important -- if he plays, the Pats can really use the short passing game as their ball control offense.

Last edited:

Even in the last game, almost fully balanced Brady dropped back like 42 times... lol

I too hope the run game has more success than most, as I like the pressure being off Brady's shoulders alone right now. But with as stout the D that they have, I'd not be surprised if NE's run game isn't as successful.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

In our biggest running game, Brady threw 42 times. Against one of the best run defenses in the NFL, I expect to see Brady throw 50+ times.

I think the PATS run game is decent and can do damage on other teams. I don't think it will happen against Baltimore. Even with Rex Ryans schemes in NY he can't match us man for man except in corner play. The Ravens defense had 1 bad game and that was in SD, guess who won that game though? It's funny how a number of PATS fans are saying how bad we played, what was the score and WHO came home from the west coast with a W? Ravens fans on the other hand are judging your team from a loss to a defense that is darn near exact to what we do minus a few blitzes. Did I you forget that Baltimore has a superior Offense then the JETS? A superior offense to the Bills and a marginally better offense then the Falcons.

Let me give you the SD game plan from when they faced us ( since you guys have pointed it out many times) Philip, throw the ball down the field as far as you can away from Ed Reed. That was it. They knew they couldn't run. Our CB's were not pressing like they should have and communication was a little sketchy. These issues have been addressed and we will show that on Sunday.

To be honest, I've see many times where Tom has really been afraid to plant on that front foot and launch the ball. I don't think the game plan for the Pats will be to go deep, I think screens/draws and passes to the flat are what Bil/Tom is will be calling. Toms accuracy is much less crucial closer to the line of scrimmage. Do you think he wants to throw deep balls when Ed Reed is over the top as a spy on Moss? I don't really think so, not at this time.

There is nothing that scares me about the NE defense, the pass rush is almost non existent and the secondary hasn't been able to generate many turnovers. We also need to consider that our receivers know Leigh Bodden well, remember he played in our division>? It should not be forgotten that Wilfork will not be 100 percent , if he plays at all. Matt Birk has faced plenty of big NT's (after all he is a Pro Bowler) so even if he does play, he will be equalized. Who from the outside can bring the heat? AD has been primarily used as an inside backer due to the injuries you guys have had. I feel very confident that Gaither and Oher will dominate your Dline.

I still think this will be a close game, Tom Brady is a prolific passer and has an extreme understanding of coverage and packages. Wes Welker could really be a tough task for the Ravens, so look for him to be in the slot more often then not.. If he plays of course. You certainly can't forget the "human highlight" of Randy Moss either, he generally makes most CB's look like children. I just think the the Ravens Dline will be able to win the battle in the trenches and dictate what Tom can and can not do. It should be a great game!

I think the PATS run game is decent and can do damage on other teams. I don't think it will happen against Baltimore. Even with Rex Ryans schemes in NY he can't match us man for man except in corner play. The Ravens defense had 1 bad game and that was in SD, guess who won that game though? It's funny how a number of PATS fans are saying how bad we played, what was the score and WHO came home from the west coast with a W? Ravens fans on the other hand are judging your team from a loss to a defense that is darn near exact to what we do minus a few blitzes. Did I you forget that Baltimore has a superior Offense then the JETS? A superior offense to the Bills and a marginally better offense then the Falcons.

Let me give you the SD game plan from when they faced us ( since you guys have pointed it out many times) Philip, throw the ball down the field as far as you can away from Ed Reed. That was it. They knew they couldn't run. Our CB's were not pressing like they should have and communication was a little sketchy. These issues have been addressed and we will show that on Sunday.

To be honest, I've see many times where Tom has really been afraid to plant on that front foot and launch the ball. I don't think the game plan for the Pats will be to go deep, I think screens/draws and passes to the flat are what Bil/Tom is will be calling. Toms accuracy is much less crucial closer to the line of scrimmage. Do you think he wants to throw deep balls when Ed Reed is over the top as a spy on Moss? I don't really think so, not at this time.

There is nothing that scares me about the NE defense, the pass rush is almost non existent and the secondary hasn't been able to generate many turnovers. We also need to consider that our receivers know Leigh Bodden well, remember he played in our division>? It should not be forgotten that Wilfork will not be 100 percent , if he plays at all. Matt Birk has faced plenty of big NT's (after all he is a Pro Bowler) so even if he does play, he will be equalized. Who from the outside can bring the heat? AD has been primarily used as an inside backer due to the injuries you guys have had. I feel very confident that Gaither and Oher will dominate your Dline.

I still think this will be a close game, Tom Brady is a prolific passer and has an extreme understanding of coverage and packages. Wes Welker could really be a tough task for the Ravens, so look for him to be in the slot more often then not.. If he plays of course. You certainly can't forget the "human highlight" of Randy Moss either, he generally makes most CB's look like children. I just think the the Ravens Dline will be able to win the battle in the trenches and dictate what Tom can and can not do. It should be a great game!

Dude, you are taking this discussion personally. Let me spell it out:

Pats and Ravens are most likely the top two teams in the AFC.

At optimal level, the Pats are the better team. I would add they would be notably better.

The Ravens are much closer to optimal now than the Pats.

We don't know where Brady is exactly right now

We do know Mayo is not playing.

We don't know the status of Wilfork/Welker.

Therefore, the status of the Pats four best players is uncertain.

The win over Atlanta is more impressive than the Ravens three victories

The loss to the Jets was disheartening because frankly they pretty much suck.

The run defense point makes no sense based on this year. KC/Cleveland suck. San Diego running? let's see, "Hey, since we are completing bomb after bomb, let's run the ball". Even Norv isn't that dumb....

Actually, he is with that 4th down play.

The Ravens are premier ball hawks. That scares me more than anything.

San Diego has been terrible in the red zone against everybody. We have been terrible in the red zone against everybody

I would take Flacco first of the young QB's. However, review Ryan's performance.

Perhaps better insight can be found over at patriotsdaily.com. There is an article about pre Sunday Atlanta/ post Sunday Atlanta and where we are with the Ravens.

Again, the Ravens are an elite team and nobody here would doubt the Ravens can win and win handily.

Dude, you are taking this discussion personally. Let me spell it out:

Pats and Ravens are most likely the top two teams in the AFC.

At optimal level, the Pats are the better team. I would add they would be notably better.

The Ravens are much closer to optimal now than the Pats.

We don't know where Brady is exactly right now

We do know Mayo is not playing.

We don't know the status of Wilfork/Welker.

Therefore, the status of the Pats four best players is uncertain.

The win over Atlanta is more impressive than the Ravens three victories

The loss to the Jets was disheartening because frankly they pretty much suck.

The run defense point makes no sense based on this year. KC/Cleveland suck. San Diego running? let's see, "Hey, since we are completing bomb after bomb, let's run the ball". Even Norv isn't that dumb....

Actually, he is with that 4th down play.

The Ravens are premier ball hawks. That scares me more than anything.

San Diego has been terrible in the red zone against everybody. We have been terrible in the red zone against everybody

I would take Flacco first of the young QB's. However, review Ryan's performance.

Perhaps better insight can be found over at patriotsdaily.com. There is an article about pre Sunday Atlanta/ post Sunday Atlanta and where we are with the Ravens.

Again, the Ravens are an elite team and nobody here would doubt the Ravens can win and win handily.

I wasn't taking it personal at all, it's my view of things. We will see who the better teams is for this week coming up and at the end of the season too. Who knows what can happen between now and then.

Last edited:
I agree it's going to be a benchmark test for us as a team, on both sides of the ball.

Ravens are one of the most complete teams we'll be facing.

disagree...it's way too early to say a game is a benchmark..."Indy, Jets and Saints in a row" in November...yeah that will be a benchmark

Well if you want to start throwing win records around... Brady is 15-2 in his last 17 road games. :)

NOW WHAT!!!

J/K man...I think Balty is gonna whip us. :(

Now, now, dogz, don't confuse the poor guy with the facts...

Just joined to have a few exchanges with all you Pats fans.

In terms of stopponing our running game, if you do, well you deserve all the credit. I would suggest that our 3 very healthy running backs with the addition of an O-Line that is also huge and healthy will certainly earn you a prize if you can hold them. This is one of the best lines the Ravens have ever had. Flacco and the RB's have been successful because of this group. I have been watching football for 45 years and have never seen a rookie like Michael Oher (RT). The guy is a beast, 300+lbs and built like a LB. Birk in the center is a great anchor and helps with line calls.

I really think that if the Ravens are real this year it will be because of the line play, Flacco and the real ace in the hole, Cam Cameron. The Defensive line is solid and deep, so are the LB's. We will see if the secondary steps up over the next few weeks.

Should be a great test for both teams.

nice post, one of several from some very knowledgeable Ravens fans.

to your final comment "test for both teams," I would say that I agree, but I think it's going to be so for a different reason in each case. And, both reasons center on the ability to win a championship.

for the pats, we're running fast to get the new D aligned (not bad so far, with only 50 points conceded) and give Tommy time to become Tommy again (which he hasn't yet done despite passing for the second highest total yards in the league to date). so, for the pats i think this is more a gauge of progress for a team that knows how to win championships but needs to show it has all the pieces to contend for another one (IMHO, they do, but they haven't yet fallen in place). Beating you guys this Sunday would say they are well on their way again.

for the ravens, after losing to the Steelers last year during the regular season and in the AFCCG and after going eight years between trips to that game, it's soon going to be "no excuses" time. you have a veteran defense in place and a phenom rookie QB now in his second year (remember that TB won a ring in his first year as starter, his second in the league). so coming to Foxboro and beating the Pats, even if the team is still finding its legs, is important. victories in Foxboro by opposing teams are hard-earned, especially outside the division.

After enjoying the Pats success since 2001, I've studied how damn hard it is to climb the mountain in the Conference to get to the Championship game and then to win that game and finally to go to and win the SB. In this decade, you guys have climbed that mountain twice (the Pats have climbed it a phenomenal five times), getting to the SB and winning it all once (I was pulling for you to beat the Steelers last year, if only to keep them from getting three rings ahead of us, which they now are). I guess what I'm trying to say is that it takes a special kind of team to keep coming back to the top of that mountain and I think that this Ravens team is going to show us whether it is.

I'm extremely confident about the Pats winning this game. Why? John Clayton thinks the Ravens have had the best 3-0 start in football. And, my left "you know what" rhymes with but knows more about football than Keeper Of The Crypt. Their big wins over KC and Cleve really impressed him. Guess the Jets and Saints wins over quality teams don't count.

The Ravens posters have been FAR AND AWAY the best opposing team posters over the past few years.

I give these folks credit. They have been analytical and upfront. They haven't been doing too much smack talking. We can disagree, etc. but they have been giving some great, pointed arguments.

Agreed, I like Ravens fans. The good ones are right up there with the good colts fans, and they don't seem to have all the trolls that the Colts fans do (at least that come here, anyways).

Also, Baltimore's ground game is much, much better than Atlanta IMO. If the Pats can stop them, then I'm ready to gladly eat crow re: my concerns going into the season. There aren't many teams that run better than they do.

Last edited:
I like Ravens fans too... but I could never eat a whole one.

Just eat half and save the rest for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes