PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is clear, a lot of you guy are seriously underrating our running attack and offensive line.

It is not just the backs ( all 3 of them) but the Oline as well who I would put up there with anyone in the league right now. They are that good. We actually have one of the best graded out right guards from 2007 Marshall Yanda as our 6th guy because another guy who came in for him when he got injured is playing so well and they cant justify sitting him. It is like an embarrassment of riches up front from the left tackle to the right.

You guys have no idea how strong we are there, and to think you are going to shut down our running attack is just laughable with or without Wilfork.

There is no more stacking the box and cheating a safety down near the line because if you do that Flacco will pick you apart. Again, it all goes back to the balance we have on offense now with a QB. I really hope the Pats underestimate that facet of our game like you guys are.

We mauled people last year with a backup at RG and without a stud at RT like we have now, and no Ray Rice for the better part of the year. Now we have an absolute beast in Oher on the right side and ALL of our backs healthy and fresh. All three guys do different things and will keep the defense off balance.

Wow, you guys sound unstoppable. We obviously don't stand a chance against such an "embarrasment of riches". First you will pound the ball down our throat with your studly OL, then Flacco is going to pick us apart. Not to mention what your defense will do to poor Tom Brady.

I think we should just concede the game, rather than get embarrassed.

Wow, you guys sound unstoppable. We obviously don't stand a chance against such an "embarrasment of riches". First you will pound the ball down our throat with your studly OL, then Flacco is going to pick us apart. Not to mention what your defense will do to poor Tom Brady.

Honestly.

This mentality that every single player at every single position on our team is elite will be embarrassing if we lose.

"Heap can't be stopped, Mason will run circles around your CBs, our running game can't be stopped, Flacco will pick you apart, our front seven is elite, but our CBs MAY have some trouble."

Honestly.

This mentality that every single player at every single position on our team is elite will be embarrassing if we lose.

"Heap can't be stopped, Mason will run circles around your CBs, our running game can't be stopped, Flacco will pick you apart, our front seven is elite, but our CBs MAY have some trouble."

You have a fine team, and it will be a great game. Your team is too good to need hyperbole to justify it.

Sounds like you are the one using the hyperbole and not me. I never said "concede the game" I said our running game and Oline are dominant and you guys are underrating them.....which some of you are.

Tell me how many yards you expect the Pats defense to give up on the ground.

Sounds like you are the one using the hyperbole and not me. I never said "concede the game" I said our running game and Oline are dominant and you guys are underrating them.....which some of you are.

Tell me how many yards you expect the Pats defense to give up on the ground.

A lot depends on whether Wilfork plays. Assuming he does or that we are able to adequately cover for him, I expect the Ravens to get around 300 total yards, give our take a little (280-320) - probably 80-100 rushing and 200-220 passing.

sounds like you are the one using the hyperbole and not me. I never said "concede the game" i said our running game and oline are dominant and you guys are underrating them.....which some of you are.

Tell me how many yards you expect the pats defense to give up on the ground.

I'm just glad that the Ravens are playing the PATS now as opposed to 4-5 weeks from now. Though, I know NE can come on strong at any time, they are probably a little more vulnerable right now (especailly with injuries and a recovering Brady)

Were "Ripe for the picking" lol. I hope week start to peak around January/February. The Ravens IMO are the best team in the AFC right now.

Were "Ripe for the picking" lol. I hope week start to peak around January/February. The Ravens IMO are the best team in the AFC right now.

I could'nt agree with this statement more. We are still finding our way Offense and Defense. As long as they keep getting better week in week out, I'll take my chances in January. On any one's field.

A lot depends on whether Wilfork plays. Assuming he does or that we are able to adequately cover for him, I expect the Ravens to get around 300 total yards, give our take a little (280-320) - probably 80-100 rushing and 200-220 passing.

Ravens are averaging 141 yds on the ground per game since the start of last year.

Most of that was done with little or no threat of the pass, no Ray Rice and with a fullback as the featured back.

Patriots have allowed an average of 105 yds with Wilfork since the beginning of last year.

If Wilfork plays, 100 might be possible. Maybe.

Last edited:
If the Patriots stick with the run as much as they did last week (even more, preferably, but hey), if Brady plays efficiently (250 yards and 2 touchdowns are overkill; just don't turn the ball over), if the offense actually scores a couple of TDs in the red zone, and if the defense plays as well as it did last week, then the Patriots have extremely good chances (read: 70%) of winning. The Brady part may be a tall order, but I feel that it's really too hard to predict this early. But if he isn't markedly by week five, or six at the very latest, I'll be whining.

The only major qualm I currently have with our defense is the INT column. I was expecting them to be a turnover-happy squad this year. That's a bit disappointing, but hopefully it can be chalked up to gelling.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and we could really use Wilfork.

EDIT2: And Moss and Welker. I assume Moss will be in, but the back thing is still a pain to read. I really-really-really wanna see Welker and Edelman side by side in the slots. Oh, man, that day will be sexy.

Last edited:
So basically the Ravens are only weak at CB, and absolutely superb at every other position.

Well, Brady is certainly more proven then Joe Flacco without question. So if we were just going on accolades, Brady is light years ahead. I have watched every PATS game this year and can tell you Tom Brady does not generally miss on the throws that he has since coming back from injury. He has been shakey in his mechanics, not plating his feet and not stepping up in the pocket, which sounds good for the Ravens but lets be real...It's just rust and it may just come off this week!

Last edited:
And Quaterback/ 1 wideout. Exactly.

The wide receivers are average, and the corners are suspect. Kicker is unproven.

If anyone can point out any other areas of concern do tell.

Linebackers? nope.
Offensive line? nope
Defensive line? stacked
Safety? 2 pretty good ones
Running back? Child please.
Tight end? nope.
Quarterback? nope.

It is the deepest and most talented Ravens team since the 2000 Super Bowl year. I said the same thing in preseason right here on this board. That was before they played one meaningful game, so its not like the first 3 have skewed my view.

It looks like your search feature is not working so I can't link the thread or I would.

Been fun, got to go for the night. Might be back later but will probably be a bit intoxicated if I return.:eek:

Can't wait until Sunday, these next 3 days are going to be torture. I wish they would just lace 'em up right now and play and get it over with.

I miss Kyle Boller. :(

I've noticed a few comments since yesterday from my fellow Pats fans that just seem, well, dumb. :eek:

The Ravens are a very good team. They have a very dangerous running game. I wouldnt have said that during preseason, but now that i've watched Willis run, it's clear he's back in the groove.

Now we Pats fans are feeling confident because we discovered recently that our defense can actually do a good job against the run. The fact that our D is good at anything is a surprise ;) So, while i do feel confident that we'll fair well against the Ravens run game, it's foolish to say we'll shut it down.

The key to winning this game is simple. No stupid mistakes on defense (roughing the passer) , and the offense needs to be more efficient. Enough with the poor throws, and dropped balls. To win this game, the Pats need to avoid costly mistakes. The Ravens are very good, and hopefully we'll be better.

Last edited:
This is the only "team" of the 32 in the league that I don't care about one way or the other. I feel embarrassed almost when I watch them play anywhere, because I feel strongly about the serious nature of murder and how it is dealt with in our society.

Joe Blow gets in a bar fight after a few beers, things get out of hand and somebody ends up dead, HE gets TWENTY years to life.

Number 52 , however, gets involved in the same type of incident and he gets an "aw shucks, don't do it again" and goes back to his MULTIMILLION DOLLAR job playing a kid's game, while the entire Ravens organization turns a blind eye and welcomes him back with open arms. That organization must be souless, and it is obviously GUTLESS.

I probably won't watch this game and certainly would NEVER attend ANY game in which #52 is a starting performer.

I've noticed a few comments since yesterday from my fellow Pats fans that just seem, well, dumb. :eek:

The Ravens are a very good team. They have a very dangerous running game. I wouldnt have said that during preseason, but now that i've watched Willis run, it's clear he's back in the groove.

Now we Pats fans are feeling confident because we discovered recently that our defense can actually do a good job against the run. The fact that our D is good at anything is a surprise ;) So, while i do feel confident that we'll fair well against the Ravens run game, it's foolish to say we'll shut it down.

The key to winning this game is simple. No stupid mistakes on defense (roughing the passer) , and the offense needs to be more efficient. Enough with the poor throws, and dropped balls. To win this game, the Pats need to avoid costly mistakes. The Ravens are very good, and hopefully we'll be better.

I'm curious which comments those are. Since you haven't specified, I'll reiterate my point of view, foolish or not.

Personally, I've said that we need to "stop" or "contain" the Ravens run game. The Ravens clearly have a very good running game. McGahee has been much more effective this year. Ray Rice worries me most of Baltimore's offensive weapons - we tend to be vulnerable to guys like Rice, Leon Washington and Fred Jackson more than to guys like McGahee, and we need to tackle well to contain him. And don't forget that FB Le'Ron McClain was their leading rusher last year.

Wilfork's status is my biggest concern against the running game. If he is healthy or if we can effectively replace him then I can see us holding the Ravens to somewhere around our 88 YPG average. Anything in the 80-100 range would be acceptable to me. If the Ravens rush for more like their 156 YPG average then I think we may be in trouble.

What gives me the most confidence is that I think BB will focus on containing their running game, and he is usually pretty good at taking away something when he focuses on it. I don't expect to "shut down" an attack as dangerous as the Ravens', and think talk of that is foolish. But I think they can be contained.

I'm curious which comments those are. Since you haven't specified, I'll reiterate my point of view, foolish or not.

Personally, I've said that we need to "stop" or "contain" the Ravens run game. The Ravens clearly have a very good running game. McGahee has been much more effective this year. Ray Rice worries me most of Baltimore's offensive weapons - we tend to be vulnerable to guys like Rice, Leon Washington and Fred Jackson more than to guys like McGahee, and we need to tackle well to contain him. And don't forget that FB Le'Ron McClain was their leading rusher last year.

Wilfork's status is my biggest concern against the running game. If he is healthy or if we can effectively replace him then I can see us holding the Ravens to somewhere around our 88 YPG average. Anything in the 80-100 range would be acceptable to me. If the Ravens rush for more like their 156 YPG average then I think we may be in trouble.

What gives me the most confidence is that I think BB will focus on containing their running game, and he is usually pretty good at taking away something when he focuses on it. I don't expect to "shut down" an attack as dangerous as the Ravens', and think talk of that is foolish. But I think they can be contained.

Absolutely.

It was just a couple that implied we would shut them down, and that their offense wasnt THAT good. The majority of people are saying what you're saying, and i would agree. I think the gameplan against their offense will be very similar to the one against the Falcons. Contain the run, shadow the TE, and maybe even get the elusive INT :D

This is the only "team" of the 32 in the league that I don't care about one way or the other. I feel embarrassed almost when I watch them play anywhere, because I feel strongly about the serious nature of murder and how it is dealt with in our society.

Joe Blow gets in a bar fight after a few beers, things get out of hand and somebody ends up dead, HE gets TWENTY years to life.

Number 52 , however, gets involved in the same type of incident and he gets an "aw shucks, don't do it again" and goes back to his MULTIMILLION DOLLAR job playing a kid's game, while the entire Ravens organization turns a blind eye and welcomes him back with open arms. That organization must be souless, and it is obviously GUTLESS.

I probably won't watch this game and certainly would NEVER attend ANY game in which #52 is a starting performer.

It seems pretty obvious to me you know NOTHING about the Ray Lewis case. I think it's blatant ignorance on your behlf to even act like this. In case you didn't know, innocent until proven guilty. Was Ray Lewis proven guilty? Fault the legal system if he was in fact guilty. It's also VERY clear that you have NO idea of the program John Harbaugh is running. He is a NO NON-SENSE, CLEAN, Religious man with EXPECTATIONS HIGH IN MORALITY, THE LIKES OF WHICH WE NEVER HAD WITH BILLICK.

For you to say the "organization must be souless and it is obviously GUTLESS" is a very strong thing to say about a team that welcomed back a man PROVEN INNOCENT. Futhermore, your analogy about Joe Blow is horribley WRONG. "NORMAL" People are proven innocent every day for murder, some may be guilty... but BLAME THE LEGAL SYSTEM. ON THE REVERSE, how many people have been incarcerated wrongfully? DNA evidence has overturned LOTS of cases. In your example you basically showed proof of your mythical "Joe Blow" did indeed have a hand in taking a life. Ray, was NEVER proven to have done anything.

Last edited:
The wide receivers are average, and the corners are suspect. Kicker is unproven.

If anyone can point out any other areas of concern do tell.

Linebackers? nope.
Offensive line? nope
Defensive line? stacked
Safety? 2 pretty good ones
Running back? Child please.
Tight end? nope.
Quarterback? nope.

It is the deepest and most talented Ravens team since the 2000 Super Bowl year. I said the same thing in preseason right here on this board. That was before they played one meaningful game, so its not like the first 3 have skewed my view.

It looks like your search feature is not working so I can't link the thread or I would.

Been fun, got to go for the night. Might be back later but will probably be a bit intoxicated if I return.:eek:

Can't wait until Sunday, these next 3 days are going to be torture. I wish they would just lace 'em up right now and play and get it over with.

Should be a great game.

And Harbaugh is a first class coach. In fact, I read yesterday that, when asked, Belichick recommended him to Steve Bisciotti two years ago.

Last edited:
This is what Peter Schrager (from foxsports.com) has to say :

Baltimore at New England: Talk about a colossal showdown. Baltimore's offense (430.3 yards per game) ranks No. 1 in the AFC and No. 2 in the NFL, while the defense (282.7) is fourth and seventh. New England ranks No. 3 in the AFC and No. 5 in the NFL in offense (395.0) and third in the conference and sixth in the league in defense (262.3). Crazy stat of the week? Both Joe Flacco and Tom Brady won 14 of their first 19 starts. Too soon to compare the two quarterbacks? I don't think so. Flacco is for real, folks. Give me the new-look, high-flyin', offensive-minded Ravens on the road in a tight one Sunday.
The pick: Ravens 27, Patriots 26
NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes