PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams release leading tackler LB Pisa Tinoisamoa - A must for a Pats looksie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pisa would be a smaller version of Ted Johnson as Reiss said , Even though that may be true and he is not big, I think this kid would make a fine Patriot,especially if his heart is bigger than his body and from what I heard about him,thats the case.

This could be a very nice complement.

The Patriots are not looking for a starting MLB. They are looking for top depth at ILB opposite Mayo. While Tiniosamoa may not be Ray Lewis, he may be affordable and a very good rotational player.

The Pats could use a fourth ILB, with Mayo, aging Bruschi, and young udfa Guyton. A six-year vet would be a perfect complement.

Pisa would be a smaller version of Ted Johnson as Reiss said , Even though that may be true and he is not big, I think this kid would make a fine Patriot,especially if his heart is bigger than his body and from what I heard about him,thats the case.

Why would you want a smaller version of Ted Johnson? That sounded so bizarre, I figured I'd look it up.

You might want to reread, if this was your source.

While Tinoisamoa is not a Ted Johnson-like run-stuffer who will play downhill and shed blocks, and might be a bit undersized for what the Patriots generally look for (6-1, 240) in their 3-4 defense, he is athletic and has been productive.

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I'd rather have D. Brooks.

Pats analogue: Don Davis.

Safety-LB tweener would be another matter, Kirwan mentioned safety too. Still doesn't make him a fit for our usual ILB, which some were projecting him as.

Don provided value at LB and S in a pinch.

Davis was special insofar as he was willing to pass up starting opportunities elsewhere in the league to be a ST demon for the Pats, which is where his major contributions were I felt.

Davis was special insofar as he was willing to pass up starting opportunities elsewhere in the league to be a ST demon for the Pats, which is where his major contributions were I felt.

I highly doubt that. What starting opportunities did he pass up?

Pisa Tinoisamoa - 6-1 240

Ted Bruschi - 6-1 247
Jerod Mayo - 6-1 242
Gary Guyton - 6-3 242
Eric Alexander - 6-2 240

Don Davis - 6-1 235

The size thing doesn't seem to be outrageously out of range. I don't know, maybe if he gained two or three pounds it would be better.

Ted Bruschi - 6-1 247
Jerod Mayo - 6-1 242
Gary Guyton - 6-3 242
Eric Alexander - 6-2 240

Don Davis - 6-1 235

The size thing doesn't seem to be outrageously out of range. I don't know, maybe if he gained two or three pounds it would be better.

Hehe, but then at 248 he'd be oversized... small window to keep Patsfans happy...:D

Last edited:

Ted Bruschi - 6-1 247
Jerod Mayo - 6-1 242
Gary Guyton - 6-3 242
Eric Alexander - 6-2 240

Don Davis - 6-1 235

I don't think it's the size per se. It's the totally different style of play. Small linebackers who's strength is running from side to pursue in a 4-3 have to completely change their habits to fit into the patriots 3-4 which emphasizes maintaining discipline and not pursuing.

If I'm wrong, the x and o guys are welcome to beast me over the head. Actually Mayo is a conversion project in that regard. He seems to have the will to do it, and I'm certainly not against it since we haven't done a great job of finding talented great "fits" at inside LB for the last 8 years.

Wow you guys are good and on the ball to really have the full breakdown of whether a guy fits here much fatser than Reiss,

....who points out that Belichick was interested in him enough out of college to have him in for a pre-draft visit and suggests that Tinoisamoa "would shoot to the top of the LB list and that if the Patriots were serious about adding a veteran at that spot after losing rookie Tyrone McKenzie to a season-ending knee injury, it would make sense that Tinoisamoa would be on their radar."

You'd think that after all these years covering the team Reiss would have learned something.

Reiss had Cassel as a preseason cut last year which he was adament about. Reiss is not perfect. And predraft visits to players by any coach or GM doesn't tell you much because many of them are smokescreens.

I will still stick with Scout Inc.'s assessment only because they are the only assessment I have seen so far by someone who actually had broken down film on the guy. Their assessment could be wrong, but they have more knowledge of the guy than Reiss does.

I don't think it's the size per se. It's the totally different style of play. Small linebackers who's strength is running from side to pursue in a 4-3 have to completely change their habits to fit into the patriots 3-4 which emphasizes maintaining discipline and not pursuing.

If I'm wrong, the x and o guys are welcome to beast me over the head. Actually Mayo is a conversion project in that regard. He seems to have the will to do it, and I'm certainly not against it since we haven't done a great job of finding talented great "fits" at inside LB for the last 8 years.

I agree. I didn't even know his size when I made myopinion on him. From what I read his playing style just seems to fit in a system that relies on speed and ahtleticism more than instinct, football, intelligence, and discipline (although I admit I didn't see anything written much about the first two).

From what I see about the guy, he looks to be more suited for a 4-3 defense probably a Tampa 2. That style of defense will allow him to roam the center of the field and make plays.

Hey with my track record though, the guy could be signed by the Pats by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are good and on the ball to really have the full breakdown of whether a guy fits here much fatser than Reiss,

....who points out that Belichick was interested in him enough out of college to have him in for a pre-draft visit and suggests that Tinoisamoa "would shoot to the top of the LB list and that if the Patriots were serious about adding a veteran at that spot after losing rookie Tyrone McKenzie to a season-ending knee injury, it would make sense that Tinoisamoa would be on their radar."

You'd think that after all these years covering the team Reiss would have learned something.

Reiss is a reporter. That doesnt mean he has a better opinion of a player fitting or not fitting the system than an informed fan.
Tinoisomoa is SMALL LB. You can put up whatever weight listing you want, but the fact is he plays like a 225 lb LB that has value in a 43 system running away from blocking schemes. If BB were interested in would probably be as a safety, as this play has the size of a small LB or big S.
I dont know how a PAt fan can watch this team play defense and not understand that a small LB who's strength is speed and weakness is taking on blockers could ever fit.

We are obviously THIN at ILB, and there are simply not enough bodies for TC or the season, esp considering injuries. But let's face it, none of us knows as much as Bill. And even he thought Monty Beisel, Duane Starks and Deltha O'Neal were the answers. It is not impossible but unlikely he will pluck a gem from somebody else's castoffs. We will just have to make due with marginal personnel at ILB until he drafts or develops somebody, and I don't see that happening this year.

We are obviously THIN at ILB, and there are simply not enough bodies for TC or the season, esp considering injuries. But let's face it, none of us knows as much as Bill. And even he thought Monty Beisel, Duane Starks and Deltha O'Neal were the answers. It is not impossible but unlikely he will pluck a gem from somebody else's castoffs. We will just have to make due with marginal personnel at ILB until he drafts or develops somebody, and I don't see that happening this year.

Marginal personnel at ILB?
I disagree.
The DROY-Jerod Mayo-Gary Guyton and Tedy Bruschi are locks plus Tank Williams floating in some cases.....we have talented players and will prob. bring in another cat for the ILB.

Marginal personnel at ILB?
I disagree.
The DROY-Jerod Mayo-Gary Guyton and Tedy Bruschi are locks plus Tank Williams floating in some cases.....we have talented players and will prob. bring in another cat for the ILB.

Bruschi--and I love the guy--was never an all pro and he is a shadow of what he was, Guyton is a marginal FA, and Williams is a safety.

Reiss is a reporter. That doesnt mean he has a better opinion of a player fitting or not fitting the system than an informed fan.
Tinoisomoa is SMALL LB. You can put up whatever weight listing you want, but the fact is he plays like a 225 lb LB that has value in a 43 system running away from blocking schemes. If BB were interested in would probably be as a safety, as this play has the size of a small LB or big S.
I dont know how a PAt fan can watch this team play defense and not understand that a small LB who's strength is speed and weakness is taking on blockers could ever fit.

So there's no chance of Belichick mixing in some 4-3 allignments this season - especially if the available personnel suggested doing so would be wise? Good to know.

If that's the case I agree that there should be no interest in Tinoisamoa.

Let's just chalk this speculation of the Patriots current (and past?) interest in Tinoisamoa up to another Mediot not knowing what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore