PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams release leading tackler LB Pisa Tinoisamoa - A must for a Pats looksie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Earlier today, some veteran inside linebacker options on the free-agent market were listed here.

Now, with the Rams releasing Pisa Tinoisamoa today, he would shoot to the top of the list.

While Tinoisamoa is not a Ted Johnson-like run-stuffer who will play downhill and shed blocks, and might be a bit undersized for what the Patriots generally look for (6-1, 240) in their 3-4 defense, he is athletic and has been productive.

Yes: that is the only question worth asking here: Why was he cut? When we have a honest answer, we'll know whether or not to take a look at him.

Now, with the Rams releasing Pisa Tinoisamoa today, he would shoot to the top of the list.

Reiss must have gotten him confused with Marvin Harrison...
th_thcoffee.gif

I still think you have this guy way overrated. The guy had 104 tackles last year and missed significant time the previous two years (7 games in 2007 and 5 games in 2006). He has no tackles for losses for his career. Only one year did he have over 95 tackles. He had 10 sacks and 7 INTs in 6 years. I don't see people beating down his door to sign him.

Sports Illustrated has him with 28 STFs over his career, which is apparently the new term for TFLs. Bruschi only has 31.5 over his career, by comparison.

To be fair, completely different systems. The majority of TFLs in the Patriots system are made by defensive linemen or outside linebackers (though Vrabel only has 24 over his career).

The Rams have a crap defense anyway. So why do we need their garbage ? There's a reason this guy got cut this early. Most likely he doesn't fit in with their scheme or just has bad technique.

I don't think you can dismiss anyone because of the quality of the team they got cut from. Not saying Bodden or this guy are going to be pro-bowlers, but if BB sees something he likes I hope he doesn't refuse to pull the trigger because it was the Rams who cut him. Part of the reason the Rams and Lions stink recently is because of poor personnel decisions.

The Rams have a crap defense anyway. So why do we need their garbage ? There's a reason this guy got cut this early. Most likely he doesn't fit in with their scheme or just has bad technique.

Once again ...

Bodden was signed here from the 0-16 Lions ... I guess that means we need the Lions garbage then ?

Yes: that is the only question worth asking here: Why was he cut? When we have a honest answer, we'll know whether or not to take a look at him.

I am going to guess problems seeing eyeto eye with the Rams HC - Why else?,I don't think it was a cap move.

I am going to guess problems seeing eyeto eye with the Rams HC - Why else?,I don't think it was a cap move.

Did the Rams run a 3-4 last year? Might be that Spags is looking to recreate his success with the Giants and wants to build a dominant pass rushing line. Perhaps this guy doesn't match what he sees a LB should be responsible for.

Lots of possibilities, probably never get a straight answer.

Did the Rams run a 3-4 last year? Might be that Spags is looking to recreate his success with the Giants and wants to build a dominant pass rushing line. Perhaps this guy doesn't match what he sees a LB should be responsible for.

Lots of possibilities, probably never get a straight answer.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius was just talking seconds ago about this guy and he said the Pats are the obvious favorite when mentioned of who is to be interested in him, but Pat said this guy would be better off as a FS and he says Pisa has been often injured and that the Rams are trying to get bigger defensively which is probably the reason for the decision to release him - I trust Pats analysis,he is pretty good at it.

Sports Illustrated has him with 28 STFs over his career, which is apparently the new term for TFLs. Bruschi only has 31.5 over his career, by comparison.

To be fair, completely different systems. The majority of TFLs in the Patriots system are made by defensive linemen or outside linebackers (though Vrabel only has 24 over his career).

I admit I don't know much about the guy either way, but it is strange that there would be such a descrepancy. I know assisted tackles change from service to service cause some services give credit for an assist if you jump on the pile after a play went down. I have never heard of a discrepancy for STFs though.

From what I can see of the guy, he still looks like a 4-3 MLB more than a 3-4 ILB. I still don't know if I would even take a pass at him.

Bruschi is listed at 247, Tinoisamoa at 235. The other two are either in the Hall-of-Fame or on the borderline. Tinoisamoa just got cut while in his prime by one of the worst teams in the league. You should stop posting.

With much respect to you PT, people seem to get way too bent out of shape here for no reason whatsoever. As much as some don't like it, posters will continue to suggest cut players, ridiculous trades, etc--I chalk it up to just being part of the boards. Certain people will agree with the scenarios, certain people won't.

For whatever reason, most likely due to boredom in the offseason, people are really crossing a line in regards to putting each other down, stirring sh!t, calling them names, saying their stupid, and just arguing for no particular reason in general.

It becomes kind of beat, not to mention, quite immature. I know you have a lot to offer here, because I've read and agreed with a lot of your posts.

Maybe we can start to act like we have something in common here a little more,--which is that we all love this football team. It's still supposed to be a place to share different views and opinions, regardless of whether we always agree or not. A lot of posters have taken the general 'fun' of coming to learn more, relax, and exchange ideas.

No disrespect intended, in all seriousness. Just a thought.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius was just talking seconds ago about this guy and he said the Pats are the obvious favorite when mentioned of who is to be interested in him, but Pat said this guy would be better off as a FS and he says Pisa has been often injured and that the Rams are trying to get bigger defensively which is probably the reason for the decision to release him - I trust Pats analysis,he is pretty good at it.

Sounds reasonable. Also sounds like size and injury concerns would be the chief reasons the Pats would not be interested, but who knows.

I checked an old article I wrote at my previous job, with the MetroWest Daily News and Milford Daily News, and the Patriots did have Tinoisamoa in for a pre-draft visit in 2002 (see third section of article ... and be kind to overlook my misspelling of Dan Koppen's name).
-Reiss.

I wouldn't mind signing him up for a 1 year deal :cool:

With much respect to you PT, people seem to get way too bent out of shape here for no reason whatsoever. As much as some don't like it, posters will continue to suggest cut players, ridiculous trades, etc--I chalk it up to just being part of the boards. Certain people will agree with the scenarios, certain people won't.

For whatever reason, most likely due to boredom in the offseason, people are really crossing a line in regards to putting each other down, stirring sh!t, calling them names, saying their stupid, and just arguing for no particular reason in general.

It becomes kind of beat, not to mention, quite immature. I know you have a lot to offer here, because I've read and agreed with a lot of your posts.

Maybe we can start to act like we have something in common here a little more,--which is that we all love this football team. It's still supposed to be a place to share different views and opinions, regardless of whether we always agree or not. A lot of posters have taken the general 'fun' of coming to learn more, relax, and exchange ideas.

No disrespect intended, in all seriousness. Just a thought.

Not only was it an attack instead of a response, it was pure stupidity and he did not back it up - Both Pisa and Bodden are in the league for the same length of time and Bodden was picked up by the Pats from the worst team in the league,maybe the worst team EVER and not to mention that the Lions were ranked 32nd bottom tier in pass defense in 2008,but with homersville guys like Primetime they don't think before they post even though he was fully aware that Bodden came from an even worse team than the Rams and overall his career although a different position from Pisa was not exactly much better statswise but because BB decided to take a big risk its a different story ... sorry but reality says otherwise.

BB could pick up anyone as a FA and most members here would say its a good move - The jury will be out until Bodden shows it was a fluke and that he was overwhelmed in Detroit's beat up secondary last year.

Last edited:
This guy's a perfect fit in New England. Just his nickname would make him a legend in the Boston area.....................................

Wicked Pisa :D:D:D

Is this guy a special teams standout ? I agree with most posters on this board that the Pats will pick up at least one more ILB, but whoever sticks will probably be a good special teams player.

I think he projects as another Will in the 3-4... Weakside...

For which we have Mayo, Guyton, and Alexander - perhaps others.

I just don't see him as a 3-4 Mike (strong side) that would handle guards on a regular basis, nor do I think that it would be beneficial to turn Mayo into a Mike in order to get Pisa snaps in at Will.

Will is the playmaker... and the Mike holds the point of attack.
And Mayo in his first year has show a lot of promise as a Will.

I think you are overstating his value. Scout Inc. take on him makes him sound like a bad fit for the Pats' 3-4 two gap style:

Pisa Tinoisamoa Stats, News, Photos - St. Louis Rams - ESPN

If he really has a weakness at shedding blocks, he is not a good fit for the Pats. An ILB for the a two-gap 3-4 MUST be able to shed blocks and take on guards. Based on this one review, it looks to be his biggest weakness.

He might not be a good fit as an SILB, which is what the Pats really need. But he might be good in a coverage LB role. The same role that Phifer played so well for the Pats for a few seasons. My question is, why did the Rams cut him? Are there health issues, attitude issues, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes