PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams release leading tackler LB Pisa Tinoisamoa - A must for a Pats looksie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are overstating his value. Scout Inc. take on him makes him sound like a bad fit for the Pats' 3-4 two gap style:

Actually, highlighting his good points mskes it more apparent he's for a different system.

He plays with very good lateral quickness and can change directions quickly. He has speed to the sideline with burst to close. He lacks overall strength to play stout, but can be aggressive on entry into blocks.

Yup, not what we need. We need guys who can take on blockers.

Last edited:
I think he projects as another Will in the 3-4... Weakside...

For which we have Mayo, Guyton, and Alexander - perhaps others.

I just don't see him as a 3-4 Mike (strong side) that would handle guards on a regular basis, nor do I think that it would be beneficial to turn Mayo into a Mike in order to get Pisa snaps in at Will.

Will is the playmaker... and the Mike holds the point of attack.
And Mayo in his first year has show a lot of promise as a Will.

I understand what you are saying and as a fan I enjoy the classic run stuffer strong side linebackers. But, I think recently the Patriots philosophy has changed a little in as much as I don't think they want linebackers who are a complete liability in coverage, even on the early downs. I think that is why they have stayed away from replacing Ted Johnson. Of course I am sure they want someone who can both hold the point of attack and is athletic enough to drop back, but I don't expect any of those players will be hitting the market at this time. Whoever they get at this point is depth, which is why I think special teams will be important.

Reiss must have gotten him confused with Marvin Harrison

Or Plaxico?

I can't think Tinoisamoa is going to be all that expensive to sign... I can see the potential for a "prove it" type deal with incentives for the Patriots, which would be a win win for both parties. I don't view a $2 million player as preventing us from moving forward with Taylor either.

Last edited:

Ok, you got me. What we need are more Monty Beisels. And that worked out so well. Beisel isn't the athlete Tinoisamoa is, but he wasn't that far behind. Beisel would get engulfed by blockers and RBs would get through holes and not even get touched until they hit the secondary.

Hey, I am all for a LB who allow gaping holes so the opposing RB can get 5-10 yards every time they run towards his gap assignment. Isn't that what bend-don't-break is all about.

The Pats won three Super Bowls and got another and an AFC Championship without a lot of speed and agility inside. Guys like Bruschi, Phifer, Seau, and Ted Johnson didn't have a lot speed. They had great instincts and were able to read and react quickly as well as being able to manage their gaps which means that they were able to shed blocks.

Sounds like Tinoisamoa would be great in a Tampa 2 defense over the Pats' defense. That is where they rely on speed and agility over power and instincts.

There are many players that just dpnt fit every system, and Tinoisamoa is one that just wont fit ours.
His career has been about using speed and agility to avoid blockers in a one gap system. Here he would be taking on blockers in a 2gap system, and it not only doesnt fit what we want, but it doenst make sense for him either.
Someone posted that Kirwan said he was cut because the Rams wanted bigger LBs. Our LB requirement is we want big LBs moreso than anyone. Kirwan said we would be interested in him as a safety, isnt that evidence that he doesnt fit what we would want at LB?
He is a small fast LB and we are a team that utilizes large, strong LBs.
There is just no way he fits our system.
I don't dispute he could be good in the right system, but he would get eaten alive playing our 2gap 34. Its simply a fact.

He might not be a good fit as an SILB, which is what the Pats really need. But he might be good in a coverage LB role. The same role that Phifer played so well for the Pats for a few seasons. My question is, why did the Rams cut him? Are there health issues, attitude issues, etc?

I thought I said somewhere else in this thread that I thought if the Pats were interested in him he would be a passing down ILB, but if not, I agree with you. He might be a good addition as a role player, but he would not see the field on first down and a lot of second downs. Gap control is key on first downs.

There are definitely health issues since he has missed 12 games in the last three years. I don't know what other issues there might be. Could be his cap #.

Ok, you got me. What we need are more Monty Beisels. And that worked out so well. Beisel isn't the athlete Tinoisamoa is, but he wasn't that far behind. Beisel would get engulfed by blockers and RBs would get through holes and not even get touched until they hit the secondary.

Hey, I am all for a LB who allow gaping holes so the opposing RB can get 5-10 yards every time they run towards his gap assignment. Isn't that what bend-don't-break is all about.

The Pats won three Super Bowls and got another and an AFC Championship without a lot of speed and agility inside. Guys like Bruschi, Phifer, Seau, and Ted Johnson didn't have a lot speed. They had great instincts and were able to read and react quickly as well as being able to manage their gaps which means that they were able to shed blocks.

Sounds like Tinoisamoa would be great in a Tampa 2 defense over the Pats' defense. That is where they rely on speed and agility over power and instincts.

Are you assuming sarcasm? He is a typical college linebacker that is all wrong for us. You seem to be arguing with someone besides me.

We use 4 linebackers, they don't need side to side speed, that's exactly my point. We need big, smart disciplined linebackers.

Usually, I'm being sarcastic and no one gets it. I was reinforcing what you said, and you thought it was sarcasm, I guess.:D

Are you assuming sarcasm? He is a typical college linebacker that is all wrong for us. You seem to be arguing with someone besides me.

We use 4 linebackers, they don't need side to side speed, that's exactly my point. We need big, smart disciplined linebackers.

Usually, I'm being sarcastic and no one gets it. I was reinforcing what you said, and you thought it was sarcasm, I guess.:D

Sorry about that. I thought you were being sarcastic so I decided to up the sarcasm to "Ludicrious Speed".

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I thought you were being sarcastic so I decided to up the sarcasm to "Ludicrious Speed". Sorry about that.

I think it's me. I had 2 people thinking i was disagreeing. Just highlighting the fact that his "best attributes" are exactly what we don't look for, little fast LBs running from side to side. Our system is based on discipline and need those that can take on linemen. I guess it was confusing the way I presented it.

Hell, you all know Monty Biesel was always one of my favorites.:rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
This guy's a perfect fit in New England. Just his nickname would make him a legend in the Boston area.....................................

Wicked Pisa :D:D:D

:youtheman:

Bruschi is listed at 247, Tinoisamoa at 235. The other two are either in the Hall-of-Fame or on the borderline. Tinoisamoa just got cut while in his prime by one of the worst teams in the league. You should stop posting.
So doesnt it stand to figure that St louis makes bad mistakes?

Bruschi is listed at 247, Tinoisamoa at 235. The other two are either in the Hall-of-Fame or on the borderline. Tinoisamoa just got cut while in his prime by one of the worst teams in the league. You should stop posting.

You should stop posting and go grow up and learn some manners. Jeez, who are you Pioli's gardener?

everybody stop posting!

There are many players that just dpnt fit every system, and Tinoisamoa is one that just wont fit ours.
His career has been about using speed and agility to avoid blockers in a one gap system. Here he would be taking on blockers in a 2gap system, and it not only doesnt fit what we want, but it doenst make sense for him either.
Someone posted that Kirwan said he was cut because the Rams wanted bigger LBs. Our LB requirement is we want big LBs moreso than anyone. Kirwan said we would be interested in him as a safety, isnt that evidence that he doesnt fit what we would want at LB?
He is a small fast LB and we are a team that utilizes large, strong LBs.
There is just no way he fits our system.
I don't dispute he could be good in the right system, but he would get eaten alive playing our 2gap 34. Its simply a fact.

Wow you guys are good and on the ball to really have the full breakdown of whether a guy fits here much fatser than Reiss,

....who points out that Belichick was interested in him enough out of college to have him in for a pre-draft visit and suggests that Tinoisamoa "would shoot to the top of the LB list and that if the Patriots were serious about adding a veteran at that spot after losing rookie Tyrone McKenzie to a season-ending knee injury, it would make sense that Tinoisamoa would be on their radar."

You'd think that after all these years covering the team Reiss would have learned something.

Wow you guys are good and on the ball to really have the full breakdown of whether a guy fits here much fatser than Reiss,

....who points out that Belichick was interested in him enough out of college to have him in for a pre-draft visit and suggests that Tinoisamoa "would shoot to the top of the LB list and that if the Patriots were serious about adding a veteran at that spot after losing rookie Tyrone McKenzie to a season-ending knee injury, it would make sense that Tinoisamoa would be on their radar."

You'd think that after all these years covering the team Reiss would have learned something.

Joe, you and I have got it! Mike Reiss should stop posting! :singing::singing::singing:

Pats analogue: Don Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes