PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders' pick scenarios - significant movement still possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Carolina pick is just begging to be traded for a 1st next year. Maybe with a 3rd or 4th thrown in for this year.

That Carolina pick is just begging to be traded for a 1st next year. Maybe with a 3rd or 4th thrown in for this year.

If #3 gets traded, it will be for a 1st next year and a late 2nd this year.. Or, the Pats could trade back a times, picking up picks this year and next.. Depending on what they are looking for..

People need to remember that with a rookie cap, moving up may be more attractive to Belichick than trading down. He trades down now because rookies even later in the first round make more money than they are worth unless they are a very good pick in terms of a player contributing right away. With a rookie cap, that might be different.

Don't be surprised if Belichick packages the Raiders' pick to move up.

People need to remember that with a rookie cap, moving up may be more attractive to Belichick than trading down. He trades down now because rookies even later in the first round make more money than they are worth unless they are a very good pick in terms of a player contributing right away. With a rookie cap, that might be different.

The rookie cap might not go into effect until 2012

OK so it's confirmed. Raiders pick will either be #16 or #17.

If the Jags win it will be #16, so just another reason to root for them today.

And the Jags are off to a quick 10-point deficit...

There's gonna be some talent in this draft.Does anyone know if the raiders hold the tie-breaker with the chargers or the jags if they all finish 8-8?

I'm wondering how much his philosphy will change if this new rookie cap is put into place

Will he continue to add depth to the team or go 4 play makers.. is this a deep draft?

The draft is not just about getting the best players. You also need to take stock of your current team. Right now, the Pats are pretty stock with good players. Priority goes to OL and DL. A pass rusher if it's good value and a safety.

QB - check ( +1 for development )
WR - check (maybe + 1 for development)
RB - check (need 1 or FA)
OL - need at every position (This is priority)
TE - check

DL - check (maybe + 1)
MLB - check (maybe + 1)
OLB - need 1 stud
CB - check (maybe need 1 for depth)
S - need 1 stud

Punter - check
Kicker - check
LS - need
ST - check

So we can't just spend all our picks. We'll trade some for next year.

Last edited:
The draft is not just about getting the best players. You also need to take stock of your current team. Right now, the Pats are pretty stock with good players. Priority goes to OL and DL. A pass rusher if it's good value and a safety.

QB - check ( +1 for development )
WR - check (maybe + 1 for development)
RB - check (need 1 or FA)
OL - need at every position (This is priority)
TE - check

DL - check (maybe + 1)
MLB - check (maybe + 1)
OLB - need 1 stud
CB - check (maybe need 1 for depth)
S - need 1 stud

Punter - check
Kicker - check
LS - need
ST - check

So we can't just spend all our picks. We'll trade some for next year.

S, LS??? No.

1. OL
2. OLB
3. 3-4 DT

They need a DE in the worse way.They need to beef up in the defensive line.

Damn the Chiefs. Choking against the Raiders.

This is clear proof of my Scott Pioli Draft Conspiracy Theory. The last few drafts by the Patriots sans Pioli are clearly eroding the memory of his contributions to the Patriots Dynasty. Wanting to get even, Pioli instructs former Patriot Matt Cassell (who suffers from Tom Brady-inferiority Syndrom) to take a dive in week 17, knowing that his team is already in the playoffs. As a result the Raiders win, pushing back the Patriots 1st round pick thru Oakland, back several spots.

The rookie cap might not go into effect until 2012

I'd be surprise. It is one thing the owners want very badly that has little impact on the players who will be voting on the deal. In fact, it frees up money to pay veterans, given that the deal has historically been built around the % of revenue going to player payroll.

If the cap is in effect prior to the draft, it will be very interesting to see how if impacts the Pats draft philosophy.

That's what I said. OL, DL, OLB. And then a Safety and LS.

And that is what doesn't make sense to me. You say we need a stud at the safety position and that we need a long snapper. I don't see it.

Last edited:
Draft strategy will be very hard to predict until it's clearer which of Light, Mankins, and Neal is coming back.

We don't NEED anybody at QB.
We don't NEED anybody at WR or TE.
We don't NEED to spend a significant pick at RB.
We don't NEED anybody at K, P, or LS.

And we don't NEED to spend any picks on defense at all. The current defense has played well toward the end of the season, with Bodden and Ty Warren on IR and other guys dinged up, and nobody except arguably Meriweather in the "Oops, time to start grooming his replacement" camp.

OL might or might not be a major area of NEED, and whether or not it is will have a huge ripple effect on the rest of the draft strategy.

In essence, this is a 14-2 team, with the only area in major need of refresh apparently being the OL.

I disagree.We need a young DE up front.We can take an OL with later on.

eh, too bad.
That pick looked like a #5-6 six weeks ago.
Sounds like worst case outcome today, and it drops from #12 possible to #17.

We'll look longingly at some of those DE's and OLB's at 12-16.

Kids like Bailey, Heyward, Watt, Crick, will be available at 17 i think.

eh, too bad.
That pick looked like a #5-6 six weeks ago.
Sounds like worst case outcome today, and it drops from #12 possible to #17.

We'll look longingly at some of those DE's and OLB's at 12-16.

+1 and it makes losing Seymour somewhat questionable IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back