PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders cut LB Aaron Curry - worth taking a look, or signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he can't make it on Oakland's defense, why would you think he would be an upgrade here? Oakland is dead last in points allowed this season with over 32 points a game.

Oakland Raiders part ways with Aaron Curry - NFL.com

I wonder if he can be used as a sub-package cover LB or something.

He's still having knee problems. I could see BB taking another flyer and signing him on the cheap in hopes of getting him in better condition moving forward, but there's not much Curry's going to do this season. He's only played in 2 games so far, they were the last two, and he couldn't get it done. The stem cell therapy they tried doesn't seem to have worked.

His NFL career may already be over.

Oakland's personnel decisions have been ruthless of late.

If he can't make it on Oakland's defense, why would you think he would be an upgrade here? Oakland is dead last in points allowed this season with over 32 points a game.
I guess the same reason why they picked up Hooman/Salas when the Rams were dead last in points scored last season.

I guess the same reason why they picked up Hooman/Salas when the Rams were dead last in points scored last season.

Several differences:

• The Rams' had some of the worst QBs playing for them in 2011. Bradford was hurt for a large portion of the year and Kellen Clemens and AJ Feeley started in his place. Offenses are driven by the QB.
  • McDaniels was the OC of the Rams last year. They know the Pats' offense and McDaniels know their capabilities. Curry doesn't come from the Pats' system and will need to learn on the fly. It is ok for a guy with talent like Talib, but not for a bust like Curry.
  • Salas is a second year player with some upside. Curry is a fourth year bust who will be on his third team in two years if he is picked up.

I don't know why anyone would want a situational pass rusher who has had 5.5 sacks in his 3 1/2 year career anyway. Heck, Aaron Maybin had that many sacks last year. And I wouldn't want him on the Pats' either.

Oakland's personnel decisions have been ruthless of late.

If their personnel decisions are ruthless, it is a huge upgrade from their personnel decisions the last decade which have been asinine.

I still don't get how the media spun the Carson Palmer trade as anything but one of the worst trades in NFL history. A first and second rounder for a broken down QB is highway robbery. Yes, Palmer is on pace for what will look like a respectable season on the stats sheet (he has had a few late game blowout stat padding), but the reality is there are at least a dozen QBs playing better than him.

If their personnel decisions are ruthless, it is a huge upgrade from their personnel decisions the last decade which have been asinine.

I still don't get how the media spun the Carson Palmer trade as anything but one of the worst trades in NFL history. A first and second rounder for a broken down QB is highway robbery. Yes, Palmer is on pace for what will look like a respectable season on the stats sheet (he has had a few late game blowout stat padding), but the reality is there are at least a dozen QBs playing better than him.
I agree with you on most of the points Rob and yes, the Palmer trade was questionable but he at bare minimum gives them an opportunity to win games. Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowksi, Kyle Boller, JaMarcus Russell and Charlie Frye have been a collection of their recent starters.

More pressing for the Raiders is how pathetic their D has played. They should be much better than they have been, similar to the Chiefs.

I don't think Curry offers much in coverage. He's only had success rushing the passer and staying around the LOS in the NFL so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes