PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about BB's press conferences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey Pats fans, I have a question...

Here in Dallas, one of our biggest concerns when we hear Wade Phillips in his PCs is that when we're on a roll, he'll blurt out comments over how he's satisfied to be in the playoffs, and act like how proud he is of himself and his team, etc. I mean sometimes you get the feeling that this man is either overtly relaxed, or gets too overconfident. Do you also remember if Wade was like this in Buffalo?

Just curious - when the Pats are on a roll, what is BB's demeanor like during his PCs? Does he say much? Does he show his focus et al?

Just wondering, that's all.

He is what he is.

Last edited:
BB was born focused.

Think Jack Webb in Dragnet.

The only time I've ever seen him "on a roll" or blubbery in a PC was the Bruschi retirement announcement.

It was like, as a child, walking in on your parents "in bed". I couldn't sleep for days.

Last edited:

Here in Dallas, one of our biggest concerns when we hear Wade Phillips in his PCs is that when we're on a roll, he'll blurt out comments over how he's satisfied to be in the playoffs, and act like how proud he is of himself and his team, etc. I mean sometimes you get the feeling that this man is either overtly relaxed, or gets too overconfident. Do you also remember if Wade was like this in Buffalo?

Just curious - when the Pats are on a roll, what is BB's demeanor like during his PCs? Does he say much? Does he show his focus et al?

BB is the same whether we've won or lost, qualified for the Playoffs or not - he's the same.

Focused, balanced, thinking about the next game only.

"one game season" "what happened last week means nothing" "the (insert name of opponent) are an excellent team in all phases our hardest test yet" "we have not proved anything yet" "we all need to do better players need to play better and coaches need to coach better" "it is what it is" "I'm just trying to coach the patriots, you would have to ask (insert name)"

BB is the same whether we've won or lost, qualified for the Playoffs or not - he's the same.

BB is more effusive in wins (if at all possible)....Hes a "one-word-wonder" with losses.

BB was born focused.

Think Jack Webb in Dragnet.

For a split second I thought it said, "Think Jack Webb in Drag...." Nearly spit out my coffee all over my PC.

Actually, you can tell a lot about BB in his post-game press conferences.

When he's really ticked off, he will say "we" a lot. "We have to do a better job all round -- we have to execute better, tackle better, coach better." He never singles out an individual or even a unit and always includes the coaching.

When he's pleased, he'll say "that was a real good win for our team today". And he always comes across as pleased with a win, however many negatives there are -- and that, I think, is genuine. When the Patriots scraped a win by one point at home against Buffalo in the opening game, he was positive in the presser. You can be sure, though, that there were some frank words about failings the next day. But I think that would also be the case if they beat the Colts by two touchdowns.

It's very deliberate -- he's not about using instincts and charisma to create atmosphere and manipulate people, but the low-key predictability makes him a good boss to work for. You know exactly where you stand with him and he never gives the media ammunition to make life more difficult for a player (contrast the way he's been dealing with Adalius and the Andy Reid/T.O. show).

I think after a win, he allows himself 1 smile a week....

The delivery is pretty much the same every week. You have to listen to the words regardless of the demeanor and have some historical sense to perceive much of a difference. When he says, "I'm really pleased about the way the team played today," he means it. Even if he looks like he just woke up from a nap when he says it.

The one exception is when a reporter asks a question about some feature of the upcoming game that makes Belichick nostalgic. Like, if you ask him about his old days working in a closet looping tape for the Colts for Ted Marchibroda or mention some feature of the old tunnels underneath Giants stadium, you may find yourself on the end of a 5 minute, twinkle-in-the-eye discourse that will even venture into areas about his current team that he never otherwise ordinarily goes. Otherwise, though, it's the same old/same old.

I think trying to analyze everything Wade Phillips does or doesn't do is sort of cruel almost. The bottom line is that you have a very proud and accomplished franchise that hasn't really won a game of significance in over a decade despite some close calls and teams that should have. That is what it is. And no matter what Phillips says or doesn't, he can't change that until they win a playoff game. They likely are going to get one in their big shiny new stadium within a very short period of time, and they either are going to win or not win, regardless of what he says. If they win, the hemming and hawing about what he said or didn't say disappears. If they don't? Well, what can you say? It is what it is.

Last edited:
i wasn't going to post this but now it was brought up.i was watching the most recent press onference the day after jacksonville game.and there is a moment about half way in where he reminds me of that guy from no country for old men. "don't put it in your pocket... then it becomes another coin... which it is" it was pretty funny

Well said ... I almost never listen to his pc's anymore ... I love his WEEI interviews they are great.

BB is never too high, never too low. He'll use the same stock responses. After a win, it's "good to get a win against a good team, but we have to face another one next week." After a loss, it's "we got outplayed and out-coached; they made the plays and we didn't; we'll need to play better next week."

He never reveals injury or other inside information. He never singles out a particular unit or player after a loss. He expects the same out of his players and 99% of the time he gets it.

There's a weekly in-house show called "Patriots All-Access" that has locker room video after each game. After a win, the locker room is always buzzing and celebrating, and it's always BB who will quiet them down and remind them of what is still to come. Very focused.

After losses, he's usually very succinct and let's his body language speak for him. The worst I think I've ever seen him was after the Giants loss in the Super Bowl, understandably. He could barely get out a word to Chris Myers with his lip trembling. This game means everything to Bill and that loss was absolutely devastating to him.

Last edited:

The Buffalo radio guys still play Wade's press conferences for laughs sometimes. He was off the hinge up here.

Every time I watch a Wade Philips press conference after a loss, he's saying the better team didn't win, etc.

That alone would bother me from a fan standpoind.

No offense, but the Cowboys seem like a very talented and energetic team handcuffed by a head coach who is none of those things. Not that a team should necessarily emulate its head coach's personality, but the guy just doesn't seem like he has what it takes to get it done.

I have to disagree with the people who are saying he's the same week in and week out. There's a definite difference between when the Pats win and lose... namely how Bill answers questions. After a loss, he is very short and often times answers with some biting sarcasm. After wins he is smiles and gives answers in greater detail.

After a loss this season, I believe it was to the Broncos, the following exchange was made. Hilarious.

Reporter: What happened on that delay of game penalty for you guys in the second quarter?

Belichick: We didn't get the ball snapped in time.

:D

The way I have interpreted this is that BB hates the rules of the NFL regarding the press, remember last year a new reporter in the Boston Area where he keeps his rings.. he said in a box.

In reality most of the questions are idiotic and an attempt to trip him up, rather than gather info.. he does not give much and neither do his players..

There is not question of his disdain for rules he considers stupid, having to wear official NFL apparel on the sidelines, injury reports and having to meet with the press..

A much better source of info on what he is thinking is the weekly WEEI interview on the "Big Show", you can find that on WEEI.COM.. he is more comfortable there and while he does not disclose everything, he is more forthcoming in that setting..

The Buffalo radio guys still play Wade's press conferences for laughs sometimes. He was off the hinge up here.

When your dad is Bum Phillips, you would have to be unhinged.

Like father, like son.

" Why does my wife go to road games ? "

" Because she's too ugly to kiss goodbye.".....Bum Phillips

Attachments

• bum.jpg
    bum.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
In addition to the very good summary that most of the posters here have given of what you can expect from a Belichick presser, I'd add that a handful of times per season, a reporter will ask Bill a question that seems to pique his interest and he will deliver a mini dissertation.

An example of this was when he was asked about balancing injuries with mid week preparation and how you have to figure out how to simulate what you want to simulate with what you've got on hand, even if the injured players might be back for the game on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes