PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Qb 2 & qb 3???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet he's played more meaningful minutes than Whitehurst or Henson.

Sure. But those two have (or in Henson's case had) more raw physical ability and were more effective in college so they had more trade value than Hoyer has now.

Last edited:
Sure. But those two have (or in Henson's case had) more raw physical ability and were more effective in college so they had more trade value than Hoyer has now.

...because being an effective college QB means they'll be effective in the pros? :rolleyes:

If my job depends on justifying a QB pick to the owner I think I'd have a stronger case by getting the guy who demonstrated the abilty to play in the NFL instead of no NFL experience but college success.

Oh, and for the record, Cam newton will BUST.

How has Hoyer progressed?

All his 7 completions last season came in the last Miami game. His 47% completion percentage is worse than Mark Sanchez. For 2010, Hoyer threw 1 TD and 1 INT.

Hoyer has never started an regular season NFL game and won it.

It's pretty hard to draw conclusions from such small sample sizes, and any conclusions are hardly definitive. The 47% comes from a sample size of 15 passes. It's two passes away from being 60% or 33%. So while it wasn't great, it's not career-defining either.

If we actually look at the breakdown though, we see 2 of those were in the Cleveland game, where he played poorly. He went 0 for 2 and an INT. But if you watched that game, you know that NOBODY on the Pats sideline performed well, from coaches to players to our GOAT HOF QB.

The only other time he attempted passes, he was pretty solid against Miami, 7 of 13 for 122 yards and 1 TD, and a QBR of 111.7 while playing with the backup WRs, as Branch and Welker sat this one out.

Judging by completion percentage, one might say 2009 was better than 2010. But if you watched him play, he was much more confident in the huddle, and got rid of the ball quicker, which meant fewer sacks. In 2009, he only played in 2 pre-season games and was sacked 4 times, in addition to being sacked twice against Houston in the season finale, which works out to 6 sacks in parts of 3 games. In 2010, he took 4 sacks in 4 pre-season games, and none in the regular season.

Like most back-ups, Hoyer's best opportunities are in the pre-season. In 2009, he completed 65.9% of his passes for over 8 YPA, 1 TD, and 0 INTs. Though his completion percentage dropped a bit, he proved it wasn't a fluke in 2010 by completing 56% of his passes for over 8.2 YPA, 3 TDs and 1 INT.

As for Hoyer never starting a regular season NFL game and winning it, that's true. But again (and again, and again, and again), neither did Charlie Whitehurst. Neither did Drew Henson. Neither did Matt Hasselbeck. So that particular criteria is irrelevant.

Last edited:

So did Pat White. He had a much better college career than Hoyer and was drafted in the second round. Is he a better QB prospect right now?

And are you sure about Charlie Whitehurst's college career? The guy completed less than 51% of his passes his first season as a starter, throwing 7 TDs vs. 17 INTs. He made a big jump in his completion percentage the next year, all the way up to 67%, but still only threw 11 TDs vs. 10 INTs.

We can argue back and forth and I don't think it'll change much. But I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a huge portion of your belief is based on a prospect's draft status from two years ago. KOC was a 3rd-rounder, and BB chose to keep Hoyer over him. Brohm was a 2nd-rounder, and the Packers chose to keep 7th-rounder Flynn over him. I'm just glad our FO doesn't take draft position into account when deciding a player's true value.

We can argue back and forth and I don't think it'll change much. But I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a huge portion of your belief is based on a prospect's draft status from two years ago. KOC was a 3rd-rounder, and BB chose to keep Hoyer over him. Brohm was a 2nd-rounder, and the Packers chose to keep 7th-rounder Flynn over him. I'm just glad our FO doesn't take draft position into account when deciding a player's true value.

I never said that a huge part of Hoyers' "true value" is based on his draft status. His true value is how good he is. He's presumably a much better player than his draft status indicates--he is at least a decent player or else BB wouldn't have kept him as the number two QB. The Pats know quite a bit about his true value because they watch him practice 60 hours a week so they can make an informed decision about whether he's better than KOC.

The question is what is his "trade value" (i.e. what he's worth to another team) to teams that don't see him practice 60 hours a week. Those teams have to rely on the information he has-his combine workouts, some mop-up duty in live games, some decent pre-season games, and his college career including his senior year when he threw 9 tds and 9 ints and a 51% completion rating as a senior.

Put it this way. Brady, Hoyer, Mallett and Crompton all get hit by a truck tomorrow. What would you trade for Chase Daniel and Curtis Painter, who on paper are almost identical to Hoyer?

Hoyers value is based, not on his ability, but on what the other 31 GMs think of him and are willing to pay.

They hardly know him. He has hardly played and never played in big situations.

Unless they have the power of psychic projection for an undrafted player, how could they set a value on him?

...because being an effective college QB means they'll be effective in the pros? :rolleyes:

If my job depends on justifying a QB pick to the owner I think I'd have a stronger case by getting the guy who demonstrated the abilty to play in the NFL instead of no NFL experience but college success.

I agree with you on this; I think guys like Hoyer are probably undervalued. Unless I can draft Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning I just trade for a young backup like Hoyer who's been in the league 2-4 years and played in a similar offensive system to the one I want to run, pick up a Kitna type crafty veteran to help him out, and add another late round pick or undrafted free agent as my third quarterback.

However, that's not how NFL teams usually operate. I suspect it's because teams want to be able to sell tickets and it's much easier to sell teams on the potential of Cam Newton than it is to sell them on Hoyer and Painter.

I agree with you on this; I think guys like Hoyer are probably undervalued. Unless I can draft Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning I just trade for a young backup like Hoyer who's been in the league 2-4 years and played in a similar offensive system to the one I want to run, pick up a Kitna type crafty veteran to help him out, and add another late round pick or undrafted free agent as my third quarterback.

However, that's not how NFL teams usually operate. I suspect it's because teams want to be able to sell tickets and it's much easier to sell teams on the potential of Cam Newton than it is to sell them on Hoyer and Painter.

I know many people think that but I don't think watching Cam Newton suck is going to sell many tickets, I'd much rather come out to see Brian Hoyer have an efficient but unspectacular game that leads my team to a victory than to watch Cam Newton make a few dynamic plays in a loss, and I doubt I'm alone on that one.

The thinking at the time was that they were dumping Vrabel no matter what but making sure he went out of the AFC East (instead of cutting him and letting him go to the Dolphins, Bills or Jets, all of whom were looking for 3-4 OLBs) was worth taking 34 instead of 33.
Thats silly. Detroit would have taken him too, and the fact that he wasnt wanted here any more eliminates the overly misused fallacy that we get rid of a guy but care if he stays in the division.

Hoyers value is based, not on his ability, but on what the other 31 GMs think of him and are willing to pay.

They hardly know him. He has hardly played and never played in big situations.

Unless they have the power of psychic projection for an undrafted player, how could they set a value on him?

It doesn't really matter what 30 GMs think so long as 1 believes he's worth a pick. GMs make projections all the time for players, and sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.

I'm not suggesting that a GM should trade a 3rd or 4th for Hoyer. I'm not even suggesting it's likely going to happen. I'm simply saying teams have done it in the past for QBs who have done less than Hoyer. That is all.

I never said that a huge part of Hoyers' "true value" is based on his draft status. His true value is how good he is. He's presumably a much better player than his draft status indicates--he is at least a decent player or else BB wouldn't have kept him as the number two QB. The Pats know quite a bit about his true value because they watch him practice 60 hours a week so they can make an informed decision about whether he's better than KOC.

The question is what is his "trade value" (i.e. what he's worth to another team) to teams that don't see him practice 60 hours a week. Those teams have to rely on the information he has-his combine workouts, some mop-up duty in live games, some decent pre-season games, and his college career including his senior year when he threw 9 tds and 9 ints and a 51% completion rating as a senior.

Put it this way. Brady, Hoyer, Mallett and Crompton all get hit by a truck tomorrow. What would you trade for Chase Daniel and Curtis Painter, who on paper are almost identical to Hoyer?

The undrafted thing keeps coming up so I think it does factor into evaluations. If he had been drafted in the 3rd despite atrocious college stats, like Whitehurst, would you think he had more trade value?

As for what his value actually is, like I mentioned above, a lot of it is projection and guessing and sometimes a leap of faith. I'm not saying there's a guaranteed 2 or 3 out there either. But teams do reach for QBs.

Yes, Hoyer had a rough senior season. But it's still on par with the best season Whitehurst could manage. I'd take Hoyer's 4 years over Whitehurst's 2. In terms of college performance, pre-season performance, limited playing time, Hoyer holds the edge in all.

As for your hypothetical, I think Painter's inclusion is puzzling. He's been absolutely terrible whenever he plays, even in the pre-season. Maybe you mentioned him because he had a mediocre college career like Hoyer, but since the draft, he's been pretty terrible.

As for Daniel, I haven't watched him a ton but I could see someone trading a mid-round pick for him. It's a projection, maybe even a crazy guess, but he was very accurate in university, he's performed well in the pre-season, he's learned under Drew Brees the past two seasons, and he's probably better than the type of QB I could get in the draft in the 4th round.

If you look at the rookie QBs drafted in the mid-rounds (3 to 5), most don't amount to anything. A quick look at QBs taken in this range from the 5-year period of 2004 to 2008 shows 23 total draft picks, 1 starter, and 4 or 5 decent back-ups. If you can get a guy who has several years experience, has proven they can make a roster, and still has the potential to grow, that's well worth the pick.

Bottom line is if you think the guy is capable of being a starter, he's worth a decent pick.

It doesn't really matter what 30 GMs think so long as 1 believes he's worth a pick. GMs make projections all the time for players, and sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.

I'm not suggesting that a GM should trade a 3rd or 4th for Hoyer. I'm not even suggesting it's likely going to happen. I'm simply saying teams have done it in the past for QBs who have done less than Hoyer. That is all.

The undrafted thing keeps coming up so I think it does factor into evaluations. If he had been drafted in the 3rd despite atrocious college stats, like Whitehurst, would you think he had more trade value?

As for what his value actually is, like I mentioned above, a lot of it is projection and guessing and sometimes a leap of faith. I'm not saying there's a guaranteed 2 or 3 out there either. But teams do reach for QBs.

Yes, Hoyer had a rough senior season. But it's still on par with the best season Whitehurst could manage. I'd take Hoyer's 4 years over Whitehurst's 2. In terms of college performance, pre-season performance, limited playing time, Hoyer holds the edge in all.

As for your hypothetical, I think Painter's inclusion is puzzling. He's been absolutely terrible whenever he plays, even in the pre-season. Maybe you mentioned him because he had a mediocre college career like Hoyer, but since the draft, he's been pretty terrible.

As for Daniel, I haven't watched him a ton but I could see someone trading a mid-round pick for him. It's a projection, maybe even a crazy guess, but he was very accurate in university, he's performed well in the pre-season, he's learned under Drew Brees the past two seasons, and he's probably better than the type of QB I could get in the draft in the 4th round.

If you look at the rookie QBs drafted in the mid-rounds (3 to 5), most don't amount to anything. A quick look at QBs taken in this range from the 5-year period of 2004 to 2008 shows 23 total draft picks, 1 starter, and 4 or 5 decent back-ups. If you can get a guy who has several years experience, has proven they can make a roster, and still has the potential to grow, that's well worth the pick.

Bottom line is if you think the guy is capable of being a starter, he's worth a decent pick.

Why would a gm spend a 2nd or 3rd for a player when he has no competition?

The gm would still be competing against the value the patriots have for him.

It really depends on if the GM wants the player or not. Don't forget that the GM isn't just bidding against other teams, but also with the team with the player they want. Even if we could establish a market value, it doesn't mean the team would be willing to trade an asset for that.

For the hell of it, let's say Hoyer is worth a 7th-rounder since that's what you've mentioned in previous posts. Would you trade him for a 7th-round pick? Probably not. Even if that's what the market valued him at, having a decent back-up with several years of familiarity in your system is worth much more than that.

So what about a 6th? Would you risk it for that? Probably not worth it, especially since it's doubtful you could find a comparable QB prospect with that pick. What about a 5th? Now the offer is above market value, but is it worth it? It wouldn't be for me. I'd rather have the experienced back-up. So a team that wanted Hoyer would have to overpay to make me want to move him.

On the one hand, that can seem like a rip-off, and no team would ever do that. But it's all about what they project that player to be. They wouldn't offer a 3rd or 4th for a guy they thought would be a back-up. But if they felt he could start, that would be well worth it for them.

Edit: Or you could just narrow it down to a simple single sentence like moosekill did. I wish I did that :rofl:

Last edited:
The gm would still be competing against the value the patriots have for him.

Aren't we assuming he's tradeable because we're keeping the other guy? That would mean other teams know we're going to cut him eventually.

Obviously, if he beats out Mallet and we want to keep him as Brady's successor, we wouldn't trade him anyway.

Which coach has seen enough of him performing to offer a 2-3?

Aren't we assuming he's tradeable because we're keeping the other guy? That would mean other teams know we're going to cut him eventually.

Obviously, if he beats out Mallet and we want to keep him as Brady's successor, we wouldn't trade him anyway.

Which coach has seen enough of him performing to offer a 2-3?

Why would a cut be guaranteed? Even if Mallett were to win the back-up job, most teams carry 3 QBs. BB has even carried 4 in the past.

I don't know who's seen what of him, but it's not as if he's a complete unknown. ESPN had a camera on him during the draft, and several teams contacted him when he became an UDFA before he signed with the Patriots.

He had a very solid junior season which should have put him on every team's radar. Many teams may have downgraded him after his senior season struggles, but two years as Brady's back-up with the BB seal of approval should add a bit to his stock.

He has a lot more going for him than Whitehurst did at the time of his trade. Every team that loses out on Kevin Kolb should at least investigate whether Hoyer could be a decent alternative for a 3rd or 4th.

Exactly, Hoyer at most is a 3rd. Most likely a 4th. If a few teams were interested then somebody could get desperate but I don't see it with Kolb still available. The Jesus Whitehurst trade was just plain stupid and not sure why it happened. Guess anything's possible though.

Last edited:

We're going in circles at this point so just a few short points.

*Your info about Whitehurst is off. He was a 3 and a half year starter who was great as a sophomore, he threw for about 9600 yards in college--3500 more than Hoyer.

* Draft status doesn't matter in and of itself, it matters because it says something about what people thought a guy's NFL potential was at a point in time. If a player improves the draft info becomes obsolete but you can only tell that if the guy actually plays.

* Hoyer's preseason and mop-up duty are close to meaningless. NFL teams aren't going to trade for him based on 42 regular season and 101 preseason passes.

* Painter, Hoyer and Daniel are comparable because they are limited athletes who haven't played enough minutes to judge them fairly but who have earned NFL backup jobs on good teams.

*Teams trade for guys like Rob Johnson/Whitehurst/Henson/Kolb in large part because they have physical attribtues that a guy like Hoyer doesn't have.

Hoyer's a good enough player but nobody's going to think he's worth a three or a four until he sees actual action.

Last edited:
This has gotten silly now. I tend to over value what the Pats end up getting in trades. My best guess is we could get a 4th for Hoyer. I hope we could get a 1st rounder, but I really doubt it.

However, the premise for this whole thread is foolish. Beyond Brady, we have no idea if either Hoyer or Mallett could start effectively for the Patriots. We also have no idea at all what we could get for Hoyer, if we decided to trade him. To state that we have three starters and we could get a 2nd for one of them is, once again, foolish.

This has gotten silly now. I tend to over value what the Pats end up getting in trades. My best guess is we could get a 4th for Hoyer. I hope we could get a 1st rounder, but I really doubt it.

However, the premise for this whole thread is foolish. Beyond Brady, we have no idea if either Hoyer or Mallett could start effectively for the Patriots. We also have no idea at all what we could get for Hoyer, if we decided to trade him. To state that we have three starters and we could get a 2nd for one of them is, once again, foolish.

QB is where it starts. I don't wanna here the Cassel comparrison and how he was a full yr player.

Patriots would have taken anybody's 2... when u have 2 franchise paid QB's on roster you cannot afford to wait to find the best offer.

Hoyer is not a 1 hit wonder. The only way he plays is if there is a blow out. I dare not speak the other.

Hoyer is surely a 2 for a QB needy team. If not a 2 then a slam dunk 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3