PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predicted 07 Roster - January 25-07 (re-post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to sound like a jerk here, but how long have all of you followed the Patriots under Belichick? Since he's been here, right? How many times has he drafted a linebacker on the first day? Never, unless I am forgetting someone. They will not invest a lot in a guy who most likely will have trouble grasping the system, let alone two guys in the same draft. I know they need a linebacker, but I just don't think they will invest first day picks on a linebacker, let alone two.

Belichick has invested in the Team in many places. Startring at the lines, and secondary. As a Gaints DC, three great LBs were drafted while he was there. It is time, there simply are no other needs. Draft a CB high? Ok, we can use ONE. Draft a Safety? Why? We have eight and can keep only 5 or 6. LBs are needed and he will draft them and also sign vet ex-straters to play in front of them while they learn.

I think David Harris is a great fit at LB, and I am not sure why you had taken him off of the board after you had him there (to the original poster). I think the addition of him and either Woodley, Burgess, Posluzsny, or Willis would really solidify the LB core. In two years, these players would be solid contributers. I agree with signing Seau for another year so he can be the stop gap there. These kids might even be able to contribute in the second half of next season.

Overall the team is pretty strong based solely on the players signed on the roster. Especially on offense where we really have all the players in place from 06 (may lose a TE Graham and a WR Brown).

On defense there are a lot of holes to fill. I may use the term solid, but not strong. The LB unit, S and CBs listed are a little scary, and very thin.
CB:
- At CB there is no number 1 corner and big questions at 3 (Wilson), 4 (Gay), 5 (Williams - Who?), I guess Spann can be listed at #6
- if Samuels leaves at least 2 players will have to brought in from outside the organization, maybe 1 FA and 1 draftee
S - I think we need an upgrade at FS, Atrell "deep voice" Hawkins is an ok backup
- I would rather see Wilson back at FS instead of CB, this makes the CBs even thinner
LB
- ILB looks very weak, even with Bruschi returning we need a starter and some depth to backup, both these players will likely come from outside (again FA and draftee)
- OLB - pretty solid, depth can be added with TBC, other FA or draft, not an urgent need

LB 5 - Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Alexander, Woods
CB 4 - Hobbs, Gay, Wilson, Williams
S 3 - Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders

Chad Scott - Is he signed for 2007?
Cap page doesn't list him - http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html
Free agency page lists him as an UFA after 2007 - http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html

Chad Scott is signed through 2007.

Yates was a starter when healthy. I see no reason not to sign Mruc and Baker for depth.

Other than Randall Gay, I don't think the Pats will make tender

offers to any of their other RFAs. They would have to invest a mininum

of $850,000 per player. Baker, Mruczkowski, and Yates do not figure

to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes