PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predicted 07 Roster - January 25-07 (re-post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the year that Marquise Hill is finally cut. As for six defensive lineman, the Patriots can add one to two on the practice squad in case of injury. The Patriots rarely dress six defensive lineman on the "game day 45 man squad" anyway. During the 2004 NFL season, didn't Belichick at one time have 10 to 12 linebackers on the 53 man roster?

If I'm not mistaken according to the amended CBA, Santonio Thomas has another year of eligibility on the practice squad (three years maximum).

Provided that the Pats have 53 on their roster at all times.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/roster_wrinkle.html

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Napolean Harris is signed by the Minnesota Vikings thru 2008.

http://www.ianwhetstone.com/football/MINCap.xls

I have been confused by this, different sites have different ideas. Maybe he has a player option or something.

Throw in a veteran FA of your liking, maybe Fletcher or KAWIKA MITCHELL http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/kawika_mitchell/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamFantasyNews?categoryId=67053
Napoleon Harris - #58 - Linebacker - 6'2" - 255lbs
News: Vikings GM Rick Spielman says he's not given up on re-signing middle linebacker Napoleon Harris, an impending free agent.
Impact: "Harris had a great year, and we'd love to keep him here," Spielman said. It would be a major surprise if Harris returns Minnesota, where Chad Greenway appears likely to be starting in the middle next season. (Sat. Jan 6, 2007)

I have been confused by this, different sites have different ideas. Maybe he has a player option or something.

Throw in a veteran FA of your liking, maybe Fletcher or KAWIKA MITCHELL http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/kawika_mitchell/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamFantasyNews?categoryId=67053
Napoleon Harris - #58 - Linebacker - 6'2" - 255lbs
News: Vikings GM Rick Spielman says he's not given up on re-signing middle linebacker Napoleon Harris, an impending free agent.
Impact: "Harris had a great year, and we'd love to keep him here," Spielman said. It would be a major surprise if Harris returns Minnesota, where Chad Greenway appears likely to be starting in the middle next season. (Sat. Jan 6, 2007)
Belichick has raved about London Fletcher in the past. However, the Buffalo Bills have far more room under the cap than the New England Patriots. In my honest opinion, Junior Seau is the most economical choice.

As for Mitchell, no more Kansas City Chiefs defenders.

24 Offensive Players

You took extra depth on the O line, likely a good call. Last question, promise..

No upgrades on offense? will a full offseason for Jackson, Maroney, Thomas and Mills be enough?

Last edited:
Is Wes Welker Really available This offseason..Seems like the Troy Brownish, Davis Patten ish, small quick tough receiver and with compliment our O nicely.

You took extra depth on the O line, likely a good call. Last question, promise..

No upgrades on offense? will a full offseason for Jackson, Maroney, Thomas and Mills be enough?
4 points from the Super Bowl if not for a defensive collapse in the second half.

As for possible free agents, the Washington Redskins could cut David Patten since the Washington Redskins are currently over the salary cap. Bobby Engram could be an interesting prospect if he is willing to accept a deeply discounted rate.

Is Wes Welker Really available This offseason..Seems like the Troy Brownish, Davis Patten ish, small quick tough receiver and with compliment our O nicely.

He's an RFA, so, if the Pats can't get him, they can at least force Miami to pay him well. :)

I don't know if the Patriots met that criteria during the 2006 NFL season.

Not at all times, no, but at least until Yates was promoted.

Why? Watching the Senior Bowl practices I'd strongly consider bundling the two #1's just for a shot at LOT Levi Brown (Pennsylvania). He'd be a serious upgrade from Light - and I'm a Light supporter.

Seriously?

I doubt the Pats trade up with their #1's. They're in economically good value range (back 1/2 of 1st round), according to Kraft.

All this talk...

I now really want Wes Welker on our team, he's the under the radar, good player that we (FO) hunger for. He Remind me alot of the David Givens, David Patten type, except he's a hell of a punt returner (havent seen Givens or Patten return punts consistently)... I think he could be had for a good price. Gaffney,Caldwell,Welker,Jackson,Brown, (with Childress and Kight lurking deep in the depth charts ready to bust up)...sounds promising. Of course this is without any guess or thought as to who we draft...

Welker in 07?!?!

No way. CD returns to punish LB's. The Pats will not let Danial Graham get away. Watson goes.

BB would be crazy not to bring back Dillon. The guy is a TD machine. I do expect the Pats to reduce his salary down into the $3 mill range. As far as Maroney is concerned, I believe the Pats need to address his approach to playing the position. I have never seen a back get blown up behind the LOS as often as he did. I have also never seen a back get tackled midsection exposed and get driven backwards as often as he did. LM would get pancaked multiple times per game. He appeared to lack commitment both as kickoff returner and RB. I don't know if he was coached patience or he just became hesitant...regardless...he needs to fly out there and let his natural gifts take over.

I have no idea whatsoever as to the Pat's 2007 roster.

I do know that they need a major upgrade at cornerback, safety,

and linebacker. I hope that the Pats use all the means at their disposal to

achieve this upgrade including the draft, re-signing or franchising Asante

Samuel, and signing a GOOD, YOUNG player or two from another team.

Unfortunately, good and young don't come cheap.

Opinion makes the world go round, I am sure I am off on many of the picks. Bradley will rise after the Senior Bowl, maybe not to round 2 but we will see. I don't think Willis is worth a first round pick in the Patriots system, I don't think he can be a 3 down player and this limits his round 1 value.

OL - The oline pick ended up on the practice squad. Not out of the realm of possibility.

Defensive numbers - 6 DL seems very light, 10 LB seems high.

Nice work, we would be improved with your picks. Where are the offensive breakdown projections?
On second thought scratch David Harris, ILB from Michigan in the second round. For the last linebacker on the defensive squad add either Corey Mays or Larry Izzo to the inside linebacker position.

As for the second round draft pick:

If Corey Dillon retires, select running back Brian Leonard from Rutgers
If Troy Brown retires, select wide receiver Craig Davis from LSU or wide receiver Chansi Stuckey from Clemson

One final caveat, I found this comment from NFL Draft Scout about wide receiver Chansi Stuckey from Clemson:

Compares To: Deion Branch-Seattle-Both players rely on the exceptional speed to gain an instant advantage over a lethargic defender. Stuckey runs with a short pitter-patter style that lets him get a clean release with excellent explosion.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14357

James (Milwaukee): Chansi, if you got to choose where would you want to go and play for?

Chansi Stuckey: If I could choose I would go to the Colts or Patriots.

Last edited:
No way. CD returns to punish LB's. The Pats will not let Danial Graham get away. Watson goes.

"Watson goes?" Are you high? First of all, his contract isn't even over. Second of all, the guy just finished his first full year (hurt rookie year and wasn't a starter to later last year), and he is one of the most physically impressive guys in the league. Anyone who thinks he isn't worth a roster spot is just wrong.

All this talk...

I now really want Wes Welker on our team, he's the under the radar, good player that we (FO) hunger for. He Remind me alot of the David Givens, David Patten type, except he's a hell of a punt returner (havent seen Givens or Patten return punts consistently)... I think he could be had for a good price. Gaffney,Caldwell,Welker,Jackson,Brown, (with Childress and Kight lurking deep in the depth charts ready to bust up)...sounds promising. Of course this is without any guess or thought as to who we draft...

Welker in 07?!?!

Since when is Wes Welker a free agent?

He had all 5 of his catches in the 4th quarter of that game, yes, but IIRC, it was at TE/slot in a Dallas Clark type of way.

OK, here are his plays in the 4th quarter of the NE/ATL game.

He lined up as a blocking FB a few times on runs with Thomas/Rasby at TE. But all of his catches were out of the SLOT as a WR. Never did he line up as a lone RB. He isn't going to replace Faulk.

1-10-NE44 (12:30) M.Cassel pass short right to G.Mills to ATL 41 for 15 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot (deep crossing pattern)

2-1-ATL32 (11:14) M.Cassel pass deep right to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 1 for 31 yards (C.Newton).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot (deep crossing pattern)

2-13-NE5 (7:38) M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to G.Mills (O.Lowe).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills right slot. (deep seam pattern)

2-10-NE45 (5:48) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 46 for 9 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills left slot. (quick out)

4-1-ATL46 (4:29) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 29 for 17 yards (L.Torrence).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out)

2-11-ATL30 (3:41) M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to G.Mills.

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out, dropped)

1-10-ATL15 (3:28) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills to ATL 12 for 3 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots