PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Who can predict the 2007 Practice Squad.

Eligible players are:

QB Matt Gutierrez

RB Quinton Smith, Justice Hairs ton, Garrett Mills, Quadtrine Hill

WR Kelvin Kight, Bam Childress, Jonathan Smith, Daniel Robinson

TE Matt Kranchick, Jake Nordin

OT Clint Olderberg, Corey Hilliard
OG/C Brian Barthelmes, Mike Elgin

DL Kareem Brown, Lekevin Smith, Zach West

ILB Corey Mays, Oscar Lua, Justin Warren

OLB Pierre Woods, Justin Rodgers, Kyle Bissinger

CB Eddie Jackson, Antwain Spahn, Gemara Williams, Mike Richardson

S Rashad Baker, Willie Andrews, Lary Anam

P Tom Malone, Danny Baugher
LS Tony Case

There are 34 current candidates for 8 positions. Several players have expired eligibility:
Santonio Thomas,
Gene Mruczkowski,
Mel Mitchell
Kelvin Kight (perhaps?)

So for them its up to the 53 or out.

Who do you think the 8 will likely be?
progress.gif

Eligible players are:

QB Matt Gutierrez

RB Quinton Smith, Justice Hairs ton, Garrett Mills, Quadtrine Hill

WR Kelvin Kight, Bam Childress, Jonathan Smith, Daniel Robinson

DL Kareem Brown, Lekevin Smith, Zach West

ILB Corey Mays, Oscar Lua, Justin Warren

OLB Pierre Woods, Justin Rodgers, Kyle Bissinger

CB Eddie Jackson, Antwain Spahn, Gemara Williams, Mike Richardson

S Rashad Baker, Willie Andrews, Lary Anam

LS Tony Case

There are 34 current candidates for 8 positions. Several players have expired eligibility:
Santonio Thomas,
Gene Mruczkowski,
Mel Mitchell
Kelvin Kight (perhaps?)

progress.gif
I am not sure LeKevin Smith is eligible or not..he might be, but barely. I do NOT think Mays, Woods, Baker and Spann are, because they played in too many games. playing Special teams counts as playing in a game. Thomas I think is still elihible ia the Yates rule; same as Childress..I also believe Kight could be PS as well. Mitchell is a vet and is not.

Eligible players are:

QB Matt Gutierrez

RB Quinton Smith, Justice Hairs ton, Garrett Mills, Quadtrine Hill Mills?

WR Kelvin Kight, Bam Childress, Jonathan Smith, Daniel Robinson Smith?

DL Kareem Brown, Lekevin Smith, Zach West Smith?

ILB Corey Mays, Oscar Lua, Justin Warren Mays?

OLB Pierre Woods, Justin Rodgers, Kyle Bissinger Woods?

CB Eddie Jackson, Antwain Spahn, Gemara Williams, Mike Richardson Jackson? Spann?

S Rashad Baker, Willie Andrews, Lary Anam Baker? Andrews?

LS Tony Case

Santonio Thomas, I think he can qualify under the 3 year plan.
Gene Mruczkowski,
Mel Mitchell
Kelvin Kight (perhaps?) He may also qualify under the three year plan.

progress.gif
Eight is the wrong number...BB moves different players on and off the squad as team needs dictate or allow. Every eligible player listed above could find themselves on the squad at one point or another during the season. Those I've questioned have expired eligibility as far as I know.

Having looked up the rules there are 30 practice squad eligible players on the roster at them moment:

QB Matt Gutierrez

RB Justise Hairston
RB Quadtrine Hill
RB Quinton Smith

WR Bam Childress (third year)
WR Kelvin Kight

TE Garrett Mills
TE Jake Nordin

OL Brian Barthelmes
OL Mike Elgin
OL Corey Hilliard
OL Clint Oldenburg

DL Kareem Brown
DL LeKevin Smith
DL Santonio Thomas (third year)
DL Zack West

OLB Kyle Bissinger
OLB Justin Rogers
OLB Pierre Woods

ILB Oscar Lua
ILB Corey Mays
ILB Justin Warren

S Brandon Meriweather

CB Larry Anam
CB Mike Richardson
CB Antwain Spann (third year)
CB Gemara Williams

P Danny Baugher
P Tom Malone

LS Tony Case

Of the others that have been mentioned, Kranchick and Jonathan Smith have been in the league too long, Jackson, Baker and Andrews have played too many games and Robinson isn't on the official roster.

Mays, Woods, LeKevin Smith, Spann and Mills all have one or more accrued seasons but haven't been active often enough to lose their eligibility.

Meriwether is almost certain to make the squad, so we can eliminate him from consideration. Similarly, two of the eligible DL will probably make the roster (if Marquise Hill is cut), as will one of the RBs or Mills. Given the relative weakness of the LB corps, I can see Woods winning a permanent roster spot along with one of the ILBs. It is unlikely that Case, Malone and Baugher will be kept on either, although one of the punters could end up there as insurance for Miller. Therefore my guess is the practice squad will have the following composition:

1 QB
1 WR
2 OL
2 LB
1 CB
1 RB or TE

and the following will fill those spots:

QB Matt Gutierrez
WR Bam Childress
OL Brian Barthelmes
OL Clint Oldenburg
OLB Justin Rogers
ILB Justin Warren
CB Mike Richardson
TE Garrett Mills

predicting the practice squad seems kind of pointless if we can't see you're 53 first

My thoughts are that in retrospect we could predict that the Practice Squad last year was the weakest in some time from a developmental perspective.

Why? Because most had graduated or were proven unable to make it, to the 53. When you carry two punters neither of whom had a chance to replace the active roster Punter not once, but twice, is all the evidence you need for that proposition.

Dante had been successful training a generation of Offensive linemen. But the school was empty. Bubin didn't have any time left so its not a surprise he left. he was more an emergency call up.

With 4 six and 2 sevens, it seems obvious that the Dante School would be re-stocked with trainees. The profile for these guys is a raw player with the athletic and academic talent who needs more seasoning. All must be smart, and coachable.
a) For Tackles, a TE to Tackle conversion provides a good candidate. Time to learn and beef up fro a quick athletic guy.
b) For Guards, a raw undersized tackle who is just not good enough to make it as a tackle. Maybe needs some beefing up and a little learning.
c) For Centers, a prospect is a very smart, quick, undersized guy who can beef up to size with a weight training effort for a year or two, and who will take coaching.

The Pats need a 3rd QB who can safely pass to the PS and learn there. So it likely can't be a first day pick. More like a late second day guy who has "some story" that indicates he could be better than presently rated in time. For example, a Matt Cassel beaten out by two Heisman winners. Or a guy like Brady who shared time with another Star type QB, like Brady.

Any surprise it was a Gutierrez or Karrodi?

So I think that half the PS is accounted for in the O linemen and
QB.

Then there is the almost obligatory long-shot DE to OLB conversion candidate hence Rogers, and/or Bissenger.

A Backup ILB and DL and a ST guy fills it out. Lua /Mays Santonio Thomas/ L Smith/ K Brown

There is a possibility of a RB/WR but with those so stacked, I doubt it.

Looking with the perspective of having seen the answers, it seems so obviousa course of action. You or i should have predicted it. But we didn't. It didn't seem that way before the draft.

Wow, the season, or even training camp, can't get here fast enough.

Practice Squad players could be on someone else's roster at the moment.

I do have to agree about the PSqd at teh end lacking developmental possibilities...keeping the two punters was a great strategy as both are showing some talent in the NFLE; maybe one might be the heir apparent to Miller one of these years. Bubin looked like a possible tackle, but I think he realized he didn't have a realistic shot at it even with a year of offseason workouts. Barthelmes is still a WIP and might prove to be a solid backup center/guard. (I think he has been overlooked.) Hill was an interesting late pickup and more of a possible Pass-type replacement. Kranchick is a TE possible brought in late in teh year and Thomas is a nice nose backup. BUT on the other hand, Spann, Yates (until he was injured), Kight and Mays all were called into a lot of time on the 53 because of injuries. Childress spebt most of the year on it (2nd straight year) and CB Patrick ended up on it, but obviously not brought back.
I do think this year's squad will be a lot harder to decide now as there many many more possibles for it and to try and list positions is a bit too early. One would think Gutierrez would be a definite to make it..but I have to wonder if they might carry 2 QBs?? Injuries also may force changes as well and as was poinbted out, a lot of the PSquad is a sort of backup pool of players needed. BB DOES look at these players as a real part of the team...not just developmental.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite intrigued by Mills, and Hairston. Hopefully they both get lots of preseason action.

Having looked up the rules there are 30 practice squad eligible players on the roster at them moment:

QB Matt Gutierrez

RB Justise Hairston
RB Quadtrine Hill
RB Quinton Smith

WR Bam Childress (third year)
WR Kelvin Kight

TE Garrett Mills
TE Jake Nordin

OL Brian Barthelmes
OL Mike Elgin
OL Corey Hilliard
OL Clint Oldenburg

DL Kareem Brown
DL LeKevin Smith
DL Santonio Thomas (third year)
DL Zack West

OLB Kyle Bissinger
OLB Justin Rogers
OLB Pierre Woods

ILB Oscar Lua
ILB Corey Mays
ILB Justin Warren

S Brandon Meriweather

CB Larry Anam
CB Mike Richardson
CB Antwain Spann (third year)
CB Gemara Williams

P Danny Baugher
P Tom Malone

LS Tony Case

Of the others that have been mentioned, Kranchick and Jonathan Smith have been in the league too long, Jackson, Baker and Andrews have played too many games and Robinson isn't on the official roster.

Mays, Woods, LeKevin Smith, Spann and Mills all have one or more accrued seasons but haven't been active often enough to lose their eligibility.

Meriwether is almost certain to make the squad, so we can eliminate him from consideration. Similarly, two of the eligible DL will probably make the roster (if Marquise Hill is cut), as will one of the RBs or Mills. Given the relative weakness of the LB corps, I can see Woods winning a permanent roster spot along with one of the ILBs. It is unlikely that Case, Malone and Baugher will be kept on either, although one of the punters could end up there as insurance for Miller. Therefore my guess is the practice squad will have the following composition:

1 QB
1 WR
2 OL
2 LB
1 CB
1 RB or TE

and the following will fill those spots:

QB Matt Gutierrez
WR Bam Childress
OL Brian Barthelmes
OL Clint Oldenburg
OLB Justin Rogers
ILB Justin Warren
CB Mike Richardson
TE Garrett Mills

I predict Barthelmes gets cut, Mills makes the team and Elgin is on the PS with Kight.

I think Hairston and Brown make the team also. And Pierre Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back