PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be abso-feckin-lutely ****TING ME.

Un-feckin-believable.

Jonny Freeney WILL cost us a game one of these weeks (like this one, or the next one). He's a complete waste of time & money, and I feel sorry for the tree that had to die in order to create the paper on which his contract was written.

a classic

now watch Freeny making a tackle, PBU, INT and return for TD - all in one play ..
only to be released next Tuesday..

Un-feckin-believable.

Jonny Freeney WILL cost us a game one of these weeks (like this one, or the next one). He's a complete waste of time & money, and I feel sorry for the tree that had to die in order to create the paper on which his contract was written.

As soon as I heard the news I started searching for your response. I knew it would be a good one. :D

Un-feckin-believable.

You are too reserved

The bright side is the contract could be in electronic format and they use Docu-sign thus a tree is saved.

Un-feckin-believable.

There is a chance he could take the field alongside Grissom.

Freeny seems to have been a temporary GF around the league since being cut by the Pats. He's had workouts with several teams, including the Giants, and rebound relationships with the Ravens (3 weeks) and, most recently, the Jags (one week, ending on Halloween).

At least he'll be good for 20 or so ST snaps, perhaps allowing Reilly to focus on defense while Van Noy is out (I presume). Of course, if Reilly stays out, too ...

That could make the Pats LB corps for the game ...
Roberts
Harris
M. Flowers
Freeny
(and possibly)
Grigsby
Grissom

Not exactly what I had in mind at the beginning of the season for wk-14.

Moderately interesting. He worked out for the Pats back on Sep-29 and again today.

Freeny seems to have been a temporary GF around the league since being cut by the Pats. He's had workouts with several teams, including the Giants, and rebound relationships with the Ravens (3 weeks) and, most recently, the Jags (one week, ending on Halloween).

At least he'll be good for 20 or so ST snaps, perhaps allowing Reilly to focus on defense while Van Noy is out (I presume). Of course, if Reilly stays out, too ...

That could make the Pats LB corps for the game ...
Roberts
Harris
M. Flowers
Freeny
(and possibly)
Grigsby
Grissom

Not exactly what I had in mind at the beginning of the season for wk-14.

You mean the wet dream of Hightower-Z.Brown-M.Kendricks..?

Its truly amazing though that 2nd stringer Roberts, 3rd stringer Harris and ST player M.Flowers are doing such a hell of a job..

Cam Johnson, 6034/268, pick #237 from Virginia by SFO in the 2012 draft.
... 4.81/40, 1.61/10yd .. 16 reps .. 35 vert/115 lj .. 4.38 ss/7.20 3c

Nice numbers for a guy his size. Has played mostly at OLB in various 3-4 defenses.

2012 - Only active 2 games (11 snaps) as a rookie with SFO (Fangio was DC). RJF's last season in SFO, btw.

2013 - Traded by SFO to INDY during cutdowns (RJF was also signed with Indy in 2013, coincidentally). Active for 12 games, 102 D-snaps + 246 ST snaps. Recorded 7 TT. (Manusky was DC). The Pats may have seen Johnson in the Divisional round of the playoffs that season, probably on ST (he recorded one tackle that game).
2014 - Still in Indy, but tore his triceps in wk-1 and spent the season on IR.

2015 - Waived by INDY in cutdowns; signed to CLE PS. Promoted for season finale v. the Steelers (shockingly, the Browns lost); played 50% of the D-snaps at OLB (3 tackles) in that game. (Jim O'Neil was DC.)
2016 - Waived by CLE in cutdowns; signed to ARZ PS on Sep-27.

Ended up playing 12 games (9 starts) at OLB with CLE last season (after being poached off the ARZ PS on Oct-1, just a couple days after ARZ signed him):
... 350 D-snaps primarily as the 5th man in a rotation (+89 ST snaps)
... 29 TT .. 3 sacks .. 2 FF .. 1 PD
(Ray Horton, DC).

Waived again by CLE during cutdowns this season and has been on the tryout/workout circuit since, AFAIK.

Cam Johnson, 6034/268, pick #237 from Virginia by SFO in the 2012 draft.
... 4.81/40, 1.61/10yd .. 16 reps .. 35 vert/115 lj .. 4.38 ss/7.20 3c

Nice numbers for a guy his size. Has played mostly at OLB in various 3-4 defenses.

2012 - Only active 2 games (11 snaps) as a rookie with SFO (Fangio was DC). RJF's last season in SFO, btw.

2013 - Traded by SFO to INDY during cutdowns (RJF was also signed with Indy in 2013, coincidentally). Active for 12 games, 102 D-snaps + 246 ST snaps. Recorded 7 TT. (Manusky was DC). The Pats may have seen Johnson in the Divisional round of the playoffs that season, probably on ST (he recorded one tackle that game).
2014 - Still in Indy, but tore his triceps in wk-1 and spent the season on IR.

2015 - Waived by INDY in cutdowns; signed to CLE PS. Promoted for season finale v. the Steelers (shockingly, the Browns lost); played 50% of the D-snaps at OLB (3 tackles) in that game. (Jim O'Neil was DC.)
2016 - Waived by CLE in cutdowns; signed to ARZ PS on Sep-27.

Ended up playing 12 games (9 starts) at OLB with CLE last season (after being poached off the ARZ PS on Oct-1, just a couple days after ARZ signed him):
... 350 D-snaps primarily as the 5th man in a rotation (+89 ST snaps)
... 29 TT .. 3 sacks .. 2 FF .. 1 PD
(Ray Horton, DC).

Waived again by CLE during cutdowns this season and has been on the tryout/workout circuit since, AFAIK.
I remember thinking during the 2012 draft that Johnson is somebody at whom Bill should look during Day 3, one reason being that he was part of Al Groh's (last) recruiting class at UVA. But then Bill started throwing away most of those Day 3 picks as if he owed people favors or something.

At his current size, he would be strictly an edge-setting DE here; he is Not somebody you want as an off-line defender in space. But hey, he's gotta be better than the clueless GeeNo Grossem, right?

heart still bleeding..

Might be more a case of ballot box-stuffing by Eagles fans, a skill at which certain segments of their local population is well-adept, than of the general consensus of other coaches/scouts. However, I would still rather have KGH on the 53 than Jordan Richards or Brandon King.

The following is what I've observed about how the Pats have used their PS over the years under BB. Other teams may or may not use their PS a bit differently, perhaps with more emphasis on potential development.

Most of the guys who are on the Pats PS seem to be there for scout team purposes only. That's their job and they don't really need to be able to develop beyond that (bonus if they do). IOW, they don't really need to be adequate positional players at the "varsity level", and they're most often not. They just need to be able to play a role mimicking players from the upcoming opponent, roles that often change from week-to-week (mostly for skill position players). They also need to be guys who the coaches get along with - and the active-roster players, too, since they use the same locker room. Some of those guys become relatively permanent PS "fixtures", returning to the PS for as many seasons as they're eligible to (e.g., Ventrone, Chris Barker).

This applies to most of the players on the Pats PS for most of the season. However, the use of some PS spots changes as the season progresses.

During cutdowns, one or two spots may be used to stash players who were destined for the active roster from the get-go - temporarily until other roster moves can be completed (e.g., Karras this season). Also, during the first week or two, there's often some churn as the Pats establish the base scout team that they want to work with for the bulk of the season, though they'll continue to pick up guys who become available as the season goes along in order to cover specific positional roles (e.g. Will Tye).

During the bulk of the season, from mid/late September through about now (early December), there's usually some churn involving up to half the PS spots, though typically about half the PS guys remain more or less permanent PS fixtures for the entire season (e.g., Cody Hollister, David Jones, Damarius Travis, Ferentz, Ryan Lewis, Riley McCarron). But that doesn't necessarily mean that any of these guys are being "developed" to eventually graduate to the varsity. For instance, it maybe says something about Jones and Travis that the Pats chose to poach "brand new" Nic Grigsby off the Ravens PS to take Ebner's ST spot (for at least three games) rather than promote one of them, even though they've been working with the team for seven months.

There are often new guys brought in for just a week or so. Sometimes it's an "extended tryout", but often it's to acquire a guy who can mimic a specific player from the next opponent or two (e.g., Kumerow). Once that job is done, they're waived and often replaced with a guy who was on the PS earlier, if he's still available (e.g., Wiltz, Purcell, Jason King), to resume his regular scout team role.

There's sometimes a guy or two who will be promoted to the active roster as a temporary special teams fill-in for a game or two, then waived back to the PS (e.g., Ventrone, Grissom). Again, this doesn't necessaily mean that the guy is a potential permanent graduate.

Sometimes they'll use a spot as a temporary way station for a guy who they specifically bring in for the 53-man in order to get him under contract until they can make the transaction that opens an active roster spot for him (e.g., Reilly, Reedy).

Beginning in December, the Pats will often sign a guy or two to the PS who they may be interested in having on the 90-man roster at the start of the following season under a futures contract, partly to assure a base of positional depth on which to begin building that season's final roster. Hardison may be one of those guys. Ryan Lewis may have been an early-season pickup in that regard, since they're paying him so much extra. That may have also applied to Blackson and Foster (before they were poached), though either of those guys might also have been considered dire-emergency backups.

Anyway, a couple years back, I did a deep dive into the Pats PS roster since BB became HC to try to get a total of the number of players who'd been on the PS at one point or another over the years. I quit when I got to 200. Of those guys, only about 10 have ever graduated to permanent active roster status (a full season or more). So, the all-too-common notion that the majority of Pats PS players are "varsity in waiting" really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I too appreciate the effort, but, if it's all about having an effective scout team, what should we make of them having TWO punters on the PS at one time?

Makes me think that your theory "doesn't hold up to scrutiny" either.

I too appreciate the effort, but, if it's all about having an effective scout team, what should we make of them having TWO punters on the PS at one time?

Makes me think that your theory "doesn't hold up to scrutiny" either.

I thought I made it clear that I believe the PS is mostly (not all) about maintaining a useful scout team - rather than mostly a stash for developing young players to "varsity" level, or merely a deep emergency reserve. I also thought I made it clear that it's mostly about the scout team for most of the season (not all), and that some spots are temporarily used for other purposes at both the beginning and end of the season.

It seems to me that I also noted that sometimes a spot or two have been used as a temporary "way station" for outside pickups who were on their way to the active roster to address a specific situation.

The article you link to is from the very end of the season, just after the Pats lost to the Colts in the 2006 AFCCG - a season in which the Pats had been having significant difficulty finding an adequate punter to replace 37-year-old Josh Miller after wk-11 (IR'd with a shoulder injury).

I don't see anything about how a couple of spots on the PS were used in that situation that contradicts what I wrote.

Might be more a case of ballot box-stuffing by Eagles fans, a skill at which certain segments of their local population is well-adept, than of the general consensus of other coaches/scouts. However, I would still rather have KGH on the 53 than Jordan Richards or Brandon King.

After a solid first year as core STer he is really turning into ST monster (as we knew he would). He would certainly be an upgrade on King and probably even Ebner since he can actually be a situational weapon on D (at the least).

When LB goes down in NE they bring a guy from the street so unfortunately King (or Ebner at S) are not next men up. KGH is now next man up in situational/rotational capacity in PHI similar to M.Flowers here. To me KGH has better feel for making plays on D but I am happy with the way M.Flowers is progressing. Of course his advantage over KGH (or Ebner) - besides that he is bigger - is that he can naturally drop in coverage having some solid S experience so hopefully he can make his case for serious “star“ option going forward..

I remember thinking during the 2012 draft that Johnson is somebody at whom Bill should look during Day 3, one reason being that he was part of Al Groh's (last) recruiting class at UVA. But then Bill started throwing away most of those Day 3 picks as if he owed people favors or something.

At his current size, he would be strictly an edge-setting DE here; he is Not somebody you want as an off-line defender in space. But hey, he's gotta be better than the clueless GeeNo Grossem, right?

Yeah, the Bucs (BB's "good buddy", Schiano) trading up ahead of the Pats in the late-2nd to take Lavonte David really seemed to make the rest of BB's draft to go totally wonky. Ebner was about the only good that came out of that.

Agree about Johnson's likely primary usage. OTOH, he posted some very good agility numbers for his size and has had significant snaps at 3-4 OLB, which could be very useful in the Pats hybrid schemes - with a guy like Johnson faking the rush and dropping back off the line at the snap on occasion (e.g., Lee's interception). I'd guess he has at least some idea about what to do back there, so the Pats' scheme might finally optimize what he has to offer.

189.gif
Phil Perry on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back