PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positional ranking 3-4 DE Pre Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an article that was on draftdaddy. Mizzou's Dominique Hamilton 6'5" 320lb weigh in at East/West Shrine Game. Played NG at Mizzou and has put on some weight. I'd rather have an outstanding 5tech guy like Richard Seymour than any olb. But, I doubt if we find one at 27. Seems more likely there are some olb/de types whom we might be able to get there. Would allow us to draft Peter Konz or a wr in the first. In addition to an olb/de. Get a guy like Hamilton in the 2nd. I didn't see Mizzou play once this season. Anyone catch him this year?

MU's Hamilton opens NFL scouts' eyes Tiger Extra - Mizzou Sports | ColumbiaTribune.com

Like Hamilton a lot (I've posted about him earlier this year, and he's been in my personal mock), but the 4th or later is where I'd take him. He's not quite as agile as some players, but he's got a good frame, is strong against the run, and has a burst as a pass-rusher. He can push the pocket, although he doesn't always disengage well. He can make a good bookend with Deaderick, who has proved himself starter quality in our 34.

Brockers... Still... Cox... in that order for me.

The vid that I watched on Cox, he's very fast. I could believe 4.6 speed. He looked like a LB pursuing the football. I did not see him beat single coverage very often is the thing.

Still looks like a great space eater with gap control and the ability to penetrate that I didn't see consistently from Cox.

Brockers is a man child. What impressed me most is his interviews, he's thoughtful and articulate. I think the mind is the key to success in BB's defense, and Brockers (I think) is a fit.

Anyone under 300-310# is undersized for BB's scheme. I remain convinced that if BB could play three 325# NTs across his defensive front, he would. Nature just doesn't make many men that big, strong and still agile.

^^^ BB's dream line: Ngata - Wilfork - Raji :eek:

^^^ BB's dream line: Ngata - Wilfork - Raji :eek:

Hell yeah, can you imagine?

I think he tried to make something like that work with Haynesworth, but I guess the fit was not there with the 5-technique. He drafted Ron Brace to play DE, and he was a NT in college... has been disappointing that he hasn't won more playing time.

I think he loves the flexibility that Wilfork and Love give him as a pair, the opportunity to play games with them up front where they swap gaps, or run stunts, etc. Love, I think, is highly underrated by the fan base. The amount of playing time BB gives him, ahead of guys like Gerard Warren, is pretty impressive. The kid makes a lot of plays. It helps having Wilfork on one side of him, but they definitely play off each other.

Here's what BB loves in a D lineman: big, strong, solid against the run, consistent tacklers even in a crowd, able to disengage from blocks, smart enough to get into the nuances of the playbook and the professionalism to constantly take coaching and learn. Can beat a double team. Pure power and bull rush are more important than their ability to shoot gaps to break down the pocket. 310# or more, but athletic. He doesn't like sloppy 350# because conditioning is a problem and they get worn down in the 4th Q. That's one thing I think he'll love about Still: 315ish and he still looks muscular. No sloppy gut. Finally, the ideal BB lineman has, long arms that can fill passing lanes and tip balls. Not too much to ask. Big, long, strong, lean, smart.

What he's willing to give up for all that: sacks, speed, spin moves. Bring on the space eaters.

Last edited:
A more realistic dream D Line would be DE Brockers - NT Wilfork - DE Cox.

Now we're on to something. Right there alone has the ability to change the defensive landscape in a few seasons if not next season. Rookies of course, but the upside as a fan seeing two first rounders come in from a draft to would be off the charts excitement wise.

From what I can see, by the time we get to the draft, Brockers will be a top 10 pick. Not sure how we end up with both Brockers and Cox. Would be nice though.

I wonder if KC would trade back in the first (#32) for Mallett and our 3rd rounder?

That`s the only chance at Brockers and another DL like Cox in the first.

I'm not sure I want us to go back to the three-man front. Love's had a good year, but stick a real disruptor in there next to by Vince and that's potentially the best DT combo in the league. Worthy would make a very very nice partner.
This is a very good insight and needs to be trumpeted from the rooftops.

From my mockdraft addiction, it appears that Worthy will be available well past the first round, an easy acquisition for us.

What worries me most about the defense is that, notwithstanding Vince's amazing stamina and toughness, the 34 rides on him and, unless we can get Alabama's Josh Chapman, we'd be totally screwed if he went down.

From what I can see, by the time we get to the draft, Brockers will be a top 10 pick. Not sure how we end up with both Brockers and Cox. Would be nice though.

I wonder if KC would trade back in the first (#32) for Mallett and our 3rd rounder?

That`s the only chance at Brockers and another DL like Cox in the first.

Well, NE didnt win the Lombardi trophy this year, so they are picking #31, not 32. Plus if there were any team that would actually accept that trade, you can bet your ass it wouldt be the Chiefs after Cassel has been mediocre at best.

Well, NE didnt win the Lombardi trophy this year, so they are picking #31, not 32. Plus if there were any team that would actually accept that trade, you can bet your ass it wouldt be the Chiefs after Cassel has been mediocre at best.

Has Cassel been mediocre or have the Chiefs put him out there behind an awful Oline. I mean would you want Barry "the fat lazy statue" Richardson protecting Brady?

What worries me most about the defense is that, notwithstanding Vince's amazing stamina and toughness, the 34 rides on him and, unless we can get Alabama's Josh Chapman, we'd be totally screwed if he went down.

FWIW, and draft rumours should certainly be treated with a pinch of salt, but it's being reported on twitter that the Ravens are very high on Josh Chapman. If true it might take #48 to get him even with his injury.

It's pretty bleeding obvious that I posted that before the game.

Mallet was a first round talent in his draft year. Cassel was undrafted. I think the comparison ends there.

I think 3-4 DE is a position we go shopping for in twos this year. I can picture Fletcher Cox at the end of the first (27th) and Jared Crick at the end of the 2nd. The only 3-4 DE we have at the moment is Deaderick and he is not a starter. Unfortunately, I see Fletcher Cox doing nothing but moving up draft boards as draft day approaches so he might not be available at all.

I see that Kiper (I know) has Still, Cox, Brockers, Worthy and Poe all ranked between 14 and 22 on his Big Board.

I'd love to come away with two of these guys, but do we have to trade up just to get one?

Perhaps Belichick will wait until two of Still/Cox/Brockers are off the board, then move to pick the third. Then just wait on the other first rounder to see what's available, but likely moving back.

I think one of Worthy, Cox, and Poe will be available at 27. I don't think we have a need for Poe, though so hopefully it's Worthy or Cox.

Cox,Poe,Worthy they are Nose Tackles, space eaters and Pats already have the best NT with Wilfork.

Derek Wolfe is better at going after the QB than all of them. 70 total tackles, 9.5 sacks, 21.5 TFLs, 2 FF while being mostly double teamed this year. Beast

Cox,Poe,Worthy they are Nose Tackles, space eaters and Pats already have the best NT with Wilfork.

Derek Wolfe is better at going after the QB than all of them. 70 total tackles, 9.5 sacks, 21.5 TFLs, 2 FF while being mostly double teamed this year. Beast

Fletcher Cox isn't a ng. He's 6'4" 300lb. Rumored to run a 4.6 or 4.7 forty. Hardly, a NG. I do like Wolfe. But, I'll take the SEC player all day. If we double up and take Wolfe at 64 That's ok with me.

Worthy and Cox are DE/DTs. Poe is the only one of those three that projects to NT, which is why I said we don't need him if you read my post.

Fletcher Cox isn't a ng. He's 6'4" 300lb. Rumored to run a 4.6 or 4.7 forty. Hardly, a NG. I do like Wolfe. But, I'll take the SEC player all day. If we double up and take Wolfe at 64 That's ok with me.

J Pierre Paul played same conference as Wolfe and posted worse numbers in his last college year than Wolfe did this year. He went 15th overall in 2010 draft and has played way better in the NFL than any SEC DE/DT taken that year.

I'll take Wolfe before I will take Cox thank you very much.

J Pierre Paul played same conference as Wolfe and posted worse numbers in his last college year than Wolfe did this year. He went 15th overall in 2010 draft and has played way better in the NFL than any SEC DE/DT taken that year.

I'll take Wolfe before I will take Cox thank you very much.

You really are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back