Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Welker - Yea or Nay?

• Yes. I'm glad we are getting him. He's worth the 2nd.

Votes: 137 83.0%
  • No. I'd rather we kept the 2nd.

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've read (and written) all the reasons, pro and con.

Now how about a simple head count of Pats fans?
Thumbs up or thumbs down on the Welker offer sheet.
Can't answer the question without knowing the specifics of the contract.

Interesting to note the before-and-after effect.
With 103 votes in here, 85% favor the deal.

Yesterday's poll, largely conducted before the rumor became news,
showed close to a 2 to 1 preference for it.

Yes absolutly! Brown's close to retirement and Faulk is getting up there. He's 25yrs old and an immediate contributor. Not to mention it takes him away from Miami!!

nay. i dont wanna give a big contract and a 2nd rounder for a slot WR and a returnman.

our return guys did equally as good if not better this year. Faulk was very good on PR

ditto (10 char)

Interesting to note the before-and-after effect.
With 103 votes in here, 85% favor the deal.

Yesterday's poll, largely conducted before the rumor became news,
showed close to a 2 to 1 preference for it.

i noticed that
prob for two reasons
1 its unofficially official now
ppl didnt wanna say they liked it when they kinda figured we were still talkin bout a dolphin

2 everyone has had time to really think it through, and realize we need help at wr NOW, and a second rder will not do that unless we get a vet

Nice. I made the 100th yes vote.

I voted Absolutely No.

The amount of the offer sheet is way, way, way too much.

Save the 2nd-rounder, and sign Kevin Curtis instead (for probably less $$).

I don't understand the FO's thinking here. Why take the cheap way out of the TE and RB positions, by settling for huge, huge downgrades in Brady and - especially - Morris, then nuke the marketplace for a WR who requires compensation? ******ed.

I voted Absolutely No.

I don't understand the FO's thinking here. Why take the cheap way out of the TE and RB positions, by settling for huge, huge downgrades in Brady and - especially - Morris, then nuke the marketplace for a WR who requires compensation? ******ed.

Your also the biggest naysayer on the forums :bricks:

Peter King talking about him on WEEI right now....sounds like a def pats kind of guy!:cool:

I voted Absolutely No.

Kevin Curtis signed with St Louis.

I am in the no camp. While I like him as a player saw what he did to us, I think a two is too much. It seems clear to me that we are shifting somewhat away from the "we want to be competitive every year for years to come" to "let's win right now".

I am in the no camp. While I like him as a player saw what he did to us, I think a two is too much. It seems clear to me that we are shifting somewhat away from the "we want to be competitive every year for years to come" to "let's win right now".

I feel like that as well "lets win right now". Could be due to the "window" is closing on the core players, or could be due to BB and SP being around for only a couple more years.

Getting the best FA LB available, not tying up to much money at the TE position and singing a guy who has only been in the league for 4 years at a position of need and giving up a 2nd round pick for him - rather than gamble in the draft is hardly giving up the future. Given the fact that we have two 1st round picks!

If you think it was to much then go look at some of the money that was tossed out to some lineman over the weekend.

The future is strong

QB: No explanation needed
RB: Maroney and Morris will lead the way with an aging Faulk along with Mills and Evans
TE: Watson, Thomas, Mills - Brady will be the 3rd TE/blocking TE for a year or two
OL: Starters Locked up through 2009
WR: Caldwell, Gaffney, Welker and Jackson? All are young and Jackson has the potential to emerge as a Number 1 with Welker as solid of a number 2 as you can come by - who also has the potential to be a number 1.

DL: Starter signed through the 2008 season
LB: Colvin and Thomas have 3-4 more years of production at a high level, Vrabel has at least 2, Bruschi will most likely be done after this season. We have two first round picks to pick up a LB - we also have Alexander (going into his 3rd year) with Woods and Mays going into their 2nd. Have any of them shown anything yet? No, but who is to say that one of them doesn't emerge along with a draft pick from this season. Not to mention BB's well established history of signing FA LB's. I am sure they will add an additional savy vet or two before TC to round out the LB corps for this season. Also don't forget Gardner he was playing well before he broke his leg.

DB: Hobbs and Sanders are young and under contract. Wilson is in his contract year and Samuels will either sign long term and/or his replacement will be drafted this year. Gay was tendered and proved he can start when healthy. Harrison isn't getting any younger but overall there is youth in our secondary. I am sure they will pluck a Safety at somepoint in the draft. I don't see to many reasons to to think that the future is dim in the backfield.

I don't see how you came to your conclusion? This team is young in every area except LB, which is most likely going to be the rule rather than the exception under BB.

Last edited:
I feel like that as well "lets win right now". Could be due to the "window" is closing on the core players, or could be due to BB and SP being around for only a couple more years.

Or it could be that they have 20+ mil to go after FA with the salary cap expected to increase each year. So they could have figured why not go out and get:

1) The LB who has the versatility that BB loves and he can be an impact player for the next 3-4 years

2) Replace Graham's blocking with another excellent blocking TE that can give you a year while you figure out what you have in Mills and not break the bank.

3) Cut a potential problem and sign a vet that gives you back the capability of picking up the tough yards between the tackle.

4) Again they picked up a guy with a lot versatility and potential - who is young (this will be his 5th season). And as an added bonus - you hurt a division rival in the process.

That seems like a more realistic scenario to me and one that is based on more than just my own knee jerk speculation. Because we all know that BB's contract is not public so therefore he could be signed for the next 10 years. And if he was taking the "win now approach" why did he trade Branch last year instead of caving while also attacking every FA in the Market early giving out Redskin contracts? Why didn't they backload Thomas' contract so that they could free up even more money over the next year or two (if King's breakdown of Thomas' contract is correct this argument is wrong)?

What has happened in the past to make you feel that Piolli is going to leave? He is relatively young, has been the most sought after Exec in the league for a quite a few years now and has turned down every chance to leave.

Last edited:
Yup.

More comfortable seeing him returning KO than LM.

I'm glad we're getting him.... IF WE'RE GETTING HIM!!!

I was very impressed with Welker last season. He has a great return game and great hands.

He had a bum throwing to him. I think he will be awesome with Brady throwing to him. I also think his return game is worth the price of addmission alone. This guy can change the game all by himself. I say go for him!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye