PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please no more power running formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few items of response to the various points you raise.

1) If I have my blockers in in a tight formation, everyone is accounted for, even with 8 or 9 in the box. And everyone in can block.
IF I spread the field and you bring a safety up, or blitzs a LB, I have no one to pick him up.
BOTH have their place. Spreading the field to run is more high risk, high reward, while a jumbo formation is the opposite
2) One sure way to have problems on offense is to go to the well too often. Its being one dimensional. Throwing 3 consecutive successful times probably says a run would be better on the 4th play, because the defense is going to overplay the pass.
Thats a frustrating thing to me that fans seem to miss. Example: If I throw on first down out of a 2TE set, and burn the weak corner in man to man, I do not get the same coverage if I keep doing it and surely wont get it on 3rd down.
The weak link corner is easy pickings when the defense is playing 'honest' or 'base' but a TERRIBLE decision to go after when he has help. You turn a bad player into a good one because he has help (double team).
3) Get used to it.
There is one overwhelming message about BBs philosophy throughout this run. He is CONSERVATIVE. Always will be. Sure he will go for 4th downs, and he will blitz, but his overall approach is conservative. We play 2 gap, which is conservative. We play a lot of conservative cover2. We will run as much as we can get away with. Interestingly, the conservative mindset also manifests itself in throwing a lot at times and against certain teams. Why? If you struggle to run, you put yourself in rsiky passing downs. If you abandon it and throw, you can throw CONSERVATIVELY.

1. I think that is basic football. A man on a man block is ideal for any team but if you don't execute it doesn't work.

I don't think spreading the field is high risk. Spread the field usually puts teams in nickel or dime apckage except for chicago. I'd rather for the most part like to run against smaller personnel, plus it sets up draws.

2. Again anothr basic point. If a team thinks you are going to run all the time then it sets up play action. Now on coverage it appeared to me there was nice safety help in the first quarter by the pats in the first quarter but then there was more man to man. The pats offense was killing the pats defense by doing little and continually putting them on the field. the pats were getting killed in tim of possession in the first half, but balanced out in the 2nd half.

It's a basic tennet you can't run all the time nor pass all the time. You can't pass short all the time, you have to go deep to pull the safeties back. Now I don't think you go into the goal line formation with a wr just to make them play the run. I could see it maybe once or twice, but do it continually for no gain? It's a waste of a down. At least do a running formation that works.

3. If Belichick is conservative.... to me it seems like this year as opposed to previous years they use that package alot more trying to force the power run and it ain't working. Why so much this year and not two years ago. and i know dillon was injured last year.

I predicted the demise of the pwoer running formation back in November!! I claim bragging rights over NEM!!

Mr. Bigglesworth You are the man. More screens = More points for the offense.

I think the power I experiment is over.

Mr. Bigglesworth You are the man. More screens = More points for the offense.

I think the power I experiment is over.

Darn right.... let's save that for madden

If Mcdaniels is the one coming up with the game plan he needs to cut the heck out of forcing the pwoer running game. I cringe every time I see the double tight end set with the I-formation and they try the wham block with the trap. It goes absoltutely no where and bunches the defense all together and Maroney runs for like 3 yards if that. It worked in the Cincy becuase their run d obviously bites.

And is it me or is Matt Light getting blown by everytime? Remember the days when Graham helped him? It seemed like Kaczur did a better job last year or maybe he ust had help with a TE. Anyways I am pretty disappointed at the O-line play. It's been very shoddy and seemed like there were alot of missed blocks today granted it was the top defense.

They need to spread the wr's out and run out of that. The power formations are not working, they're drive killers.

When I read this thread I thought it was about today's Jags game. Almost applies perfectly.When the Pats got the ball back with three minutes left they went to the power I formation and it got them nowhere. I don't know why they didn't continue with their game plan or run out of a more exotic, less obvious formation.

Just seems to me like they didn't play their hand well on the final offensive series (the kneel-downs don't count).

And your point on Light is dead on. He was beat on several plays today, including the sack. Too much pressure is coming from the left side and it's really a concern going forward.

When I read this thread I thought it was about today's Jags game. Almost applies perfectly.When the Pats got the ball back with three minutes left they went to the power I formation and it got them nowhere. I don't know why they didn't continue with their game plan or run out of a more exotic, less obvious formation.

Just seems to me like they didn't play their hand well on the final offensive series (the kneel-downs don't count).

And your point on Light is dead on. He was beat on several plays today, including the sack. Too much pressure is coming from the left side and it's really a concern going forward.

I thought Light was decent considered he had little to no help today and had to go one on one.

My concern is when they face a merriman or freeney or they get a heavy dose of safety blitz from john lynch or the jets.

They need to figure out how to handle that better.

They've had issues with it since last years denver playoff game. the jets and miami game this year. miami was more one on one matchups.

1.) What kind of formation was New England in when Maroney scored his touchdown?

2.) How is the formation to blame at the end of the game for Brady's missing of 3 wide open receivers? Please give details explaining why the blame is on the formation and not the quarterback who threw to 3 men who were open and misfired on all 3 throws.

I await your response with eager anticipation.

The play they should eliminate is the quick out to the WR on 3rd and 3+. Never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back