PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace Could Have Been A Patriot Instead of Brandon Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized we could have had San Francisco's Patrick Willis if instead of going 12-4 and making to the AFC Championship game we had gone 6-10. Bummer.

Green-Ellis could have been a Steeler, Woodhead could have been a Dolphin,Vollmer could have been a Jet......................

Every team in football could be made up of completely different players and the retrospective roster moves may be the most senseless thing every team fan base does. The bottom line is that Belichik maintains a roster that turns over yet keeps the Patriots at the top of the league year after year and that's what really matters. I might be able to see some sense I. Never-ending re-drafts if they sucked and had a roster of stiffs but see it as nitpicking when they are consistently good.

Last edited:
It's alarming when he misses at the same position.

Jackson vs Jennings
Tate vs Wallace
Cunningham vs Dunlap
Vereen vs Murray

In all 4 cases, the guy the Patriot didn't take were much better COLLEGE players.

And that is the head scratcher.

Tedy Bruschi went in the 3rd round but he was the ALL TIME Sack leader in college.
Vrabel - All American
Law - All American

And for all the Tom Brady 6th round stuff, if you watch college football and I did, he was a great big game college player and if Lloyd Carr played him more he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He also didn't have the build coming out of college. He played at Michigan, not N. Illinois.

Now Vereen might be great, but Murray was awesome in college. That's why I like Brandon Spikes. Despite all the questions about his overall skills he was a leader and money player in college and guys like that usually succeed.

Derrick Brooks was a 2nd round pick because of his size and strength. He was a phenomenal college player and a Hall of Fame NFL Player. Give me the big time college player from the big time school every time.

I wouldnt give BB flak over picking vereen over Murray, just Murry's injury history alone scares the hell out of me but vereen was also very solid, over-shadowed by Jahvid Best. Vereen was also very solid as a receiver, which can add a lot of new dimensions to the offense.

The "problem" with Vereen is that he was injured and missed most of training camp, how is he supposed to get up to speed without playing/practicing? If he want injured he might be an emerging stud and we'd be criticizing BB for the incredible 'reach' of taking Ridley in the 3rd round when he should have been a UDFA.

Give me the big time college player from the big time school every time.

EXACTLY! This is why Gino Torreta, Ron Dayne, and Rashan Salaam are the best skill position players drafted in the past twenty years.

I love the "could have" game, we could have Clay Matthews instead of Brandon Meriweather.

The New York Jets could have had Bill Belichick instead of Al Groh/Herm Edwards. Oh wait, no they couldn't have.
Ohsnap2.gif

Btw I don't agree with these "Murray over Vereen" comments. Murray type RBs don't cut it in our system anymore. Once Vereen gets up to speed on blocking he's going to be scary out there. The amount of diversity he brings to the play book is insane. Split him out wide, next to Brady, behind Brady, blocking, inside runs, outside runs. I hate to say it, but the writing is on the wall for BJGE as great as he's been for us and as much as I love him.

I don't buy revisionist woulda-shoulda-coulda wishful thinking. Be careful what you wish for.

Tom Brady was one of two QBs BB was considering in 2000. The other was Tim Rattay. So, sure, it coulda been Wallace on the receiving end, but it coulda been Rattay throwing it to him too. No one has a crystal ball.

I don't buy revisionist woulda-shoulda-coulda wishful thinking. Be careful what you wish for.

Tom Brady was one of two QBs BB was considering in 2000. The other was Tim Rattay. So, sure, it coulda been Wallace on the receiving end, but it coulda been Rattay throwing it to him too. No one has a crystal ball.

Your post makes no sense. We're not supposed to be wist-ful (hey, it gets changed if you don't use the hyphen) over a guy like Wallace because the team took Brady instead of Rattay? That's precisely the sort of reason people DO get wist-ful over a guy like Wallace.

Last edited:
I love the "could have" game, we could have Clay Matthews instead of Brandon Meriweather.

Incorrect..
They could have had Jon Beason instead of Meriweather,
Just as bad though.. if not worse because LB was a position of greater need that year. I believe a crap-ton of people on this very board projected/pined for Beason to the Pats. Good job to those who did:bricks:

What bothers me right now about this coaching staff is why isnt Taylor Price given an opportunity?I seen enough of Chad Ochocinco.Put the kid in the game and see what he can do

Maybe because ocho is better and is working his butt off

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

What bothers me right now about this coaching staff is why isnt Taylor Price given an opportunity?I seen enough of Chad Ochocinco.Put the kid in the game and see what he can do

Here's the huge difference between you and Belichick. You want to give Price playing time to see what he can do. Belichick KNOWS what Price can do, because he sees him in practice 4 days a week.

Mmhm...he was playing behind Holmes and Ward and still had 800 yards and 6 TDs. Stretched the field and made plays.

Damn Brandon Tate...never liked him nor understood what his defenders saw in him.

The Steelers are notorious for *not* playing their rookies. While it's particularly true on D (Troy P hardly played--and looked awful when he did--his rookie year) where the scheme is so complex, it's true all around. Had Limas Sweed not been such a terrible disappointment that camp, he, not Wallace would have been #3.

You guys do know that every fanbase plays this perfect hindsight 20/20 draft game, right? I think our front office drafts as well as any in the league (and I'd argued the Patriots do as well) but our boards absolutely kill Colbert and Tomlin for some of their picks. Hell even the Steelers didn't know Mike Wallace would become Mike Wallace (if they did, they'd assuredly have picked him higher than the 3rd round!)

Our draft "nemesis" isn't wideouts; we tend to hit on those. However we've had a fairly brutal run of luck with our OL and DB picks, and it shows on the field.

lillloyd

Your post makes no sense. We're not supposed to be wist-ful (hey, it gets changed if you don't use the hyphen) over a guy like Wallace because the team took Brady instead of Rattay? That's precisely the sort of reason people DO get wist-ful over a guy like Wallace.

My point is this: second guessing picks is a waste of time. On draft day, no one knows if they've picked Brady over Rattay; or Tate over Wallace; or McCourty over Kyle Wilson. The players are unformed professionals and there is no crystal ball.

I can respect opinions expressed in the moment... everyone's got one. But to look back three years later and criticize a selection and wish we had taken the other side of the choice... it's pointless.

We always hypothesize about the wash outs, and wonder how great it would have been if only... as if it's so obvious to everyone that Wallace was a sure thing. But, fact is, the Patriots have a lot more to be grateful about from the lottery which is the NFL draft than they have to regret. I think the whole "Wallace over Tate" premise is just disrespectful to a Franchise that has done damn well to constantly restock the roster.

Last edited:
And Tom Brady could have went 1st overall.

I hate articles like these.

Send this thread to the practice squad. This bye week can't end soon enough.

My point is this: second guessing picks is a waste of time. On draft day, no one knows if they've picked Brady over Rattay; or Tate over Wallace; or McCourty over Kyle Wilson. The players are unformed professionals and there is no crystal ball.

I can respect opinions expressed in the moment... everyone's got one. But to look back three years later and criticize a selection and wish we had taken the other side of the choice... it's pointless.

We always hypothesize about the wash outs, and wonder how great it would have been if only... as if it's so obvious to everyone that Wallace was a sure thing. But, fact is, the Patriots have a lot more to be grateful about from the lottery which is the NFL draft than they have to regret. I think the whole "Wallace over Tate" premise is just disrespectful to a Franchise that has done damn well to constantly restock the roster.

First, the people making the picks for the various teams are paid to make the picks, and their jobs are on the line when they do. There may not be a crystal ball, but there sure as hell is more to it than dartboards and blindfolds. Go to the draft forum, or look at some of the draft discussion that's taken place here in the main forum, and you'll find that there is a lot of discussion about the players beginning well before they are drafted. Message boards may not be stocked with NFL GMs and scouts, but they have a lot of people who pay a fair amount of attention to the college game and its players. The discussions about players like Gholston demonstrate that quite nicely, so you might want to go take a look at some of them.

Second, that line about respecting opinions is garbage in general, even if it's completely honest in your specific instance. When the picks are first made, the homers scream out something like "You're complaining already? Give these guys a chance!". Then, when the players go bust, the screeching turns to "The time to complain was when they were drafted, because hindsight's 20/20!". It's a con game run by the homers, and it's as transparent as it is pathetic.

Third, we're not just talking about these players in the context of years down the road. We're talking about players who were wanted/unwanted from back during their drafts. Tate was a controversial pick, one I actually defended as a total flier that I was fine with due to the other picks already made, and there were a lot of people who were pissed about that choice.

For people to be pointing to Wallace's success in light of Tate's failure isn't disrespectful and, if you think it is, I suggest to you that you need to give your definition of "disrespect" a bit of fine tuning. As for the team doing well to constantly restock the roster, I'd say that it's abundantly clear that such a position is open to debate.

yeah....but...but...YOU were branded a HOMER by SteelEinstein....yet, you are thrashing homers...somebody has made a serious mistake....

Tom Brady could have been a Steeler.....or with any of the other teams in the NFL.....boo hoo....we missed on a draft pick....we do it a lot, as do other teams......and we hit sometimes.....as do other teams......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back