PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace Could Have Been A Patriot Instead of Brandon Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady was a 6th round pick. Every QB chosen before him was a bad decision.

You could even say that ANY player picked before him was a bad decision.

maroney over williams and jones-drew :singing:

maroney over williams and jones-drew :singing:

And dont forget Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings.

Tate over Wallace was a bad pick too. I think the Pats were weighing Tate's special teams contributions over receiving ability of Wallace. Yeah in hindsight a terrible move. I've talked about this being a bad move way before today's article. But you cant change history so what's the point of bemoaning it too much, right? It's not like we took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino. LOL.

And dont forget Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings.

Tate over Wallace was a bad pick too. I think the Pats were weighing Tate's special teams contributions over receiving ability of Wallace. Yeah in hindsight a terrible move. I've talked about this being a bad move way before today's article. But you cant change history so what's the point of bemoaning it too much, right? It's not like we took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino. LOL.

No, they took Eason over Marino..... :bricks:

who gives a crap

sometimes you hit.....sometimes you miss

its all about ooportunity......there's a very good chance that wallace would have wound up like tate here.

I hate the 'we coulda had' draft game, so I'm not going to say we coulda had Wallace, it still hurts, though. He's an amazing receiver. I think he'll be considered a top 5 receiver by the time next year rolls around. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to put him at #4, right now, behind the Johnson's and Fitz.

It's pointless to go back and analyze who got picked over who...sometimes you just don't know imo. Arian Foster went undrafted.

I hate the 'we coulda had' draft game, so I'm not going to say we coulda had Wallace, it still hurts, though. He's an amazing receiver. I think he'll be considered a top 5 receiver by the time next year rolls around. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to put him at #4, right now, behind the Johnson's and Fitz.

You forgot about Welker. :p
And Andre Johnson has not had a great year to date.

Last edited:
Andre Johnson has been injured for 3-4 weeks and might miss a couple more.

The "we coulda had" game makes perfect sense if you're looking at positions of need instead of just players in general. Saying "We coulda had Brady" if you already had Manning wouldn't really work, but saying "We coulda had Wallace/Jennings" is fair game for a WR needy squad that chose Jackson and Tate.

Just my $.02

not sure if this has been broached on this thread yet, but is there certainty that wallace would be able to pick up the patriots offensive system and perform at the same level he is currently performing in the steelers scheme?

combine numbers aside, many players either flourish or flame-out based on the meshing of their mental ability to grasp the concepts in the playbook and then go out and execute said concepts or plays on sundays.

Even if he could pick up the playbook (lets assume he could), is he the kind of football grinder who does well in the Pats environment?

BB is a great coach but he's not a great coach for everybody--maybe give Tomlin some credit for being a great coach for this guy.

You forgot about Welker. :p
And Andre Johnson has not had a great year to date.

Johnson has been the most productive receiver in the NFL for the last 5 years. I'm not docking him because he's missed a few games.

Receiving yds per game, 2007-2011

Andre Johnson: 95.9
Larry Fitzgerald: 80.8
Reggie Wayne: 80.3
Wes Welker: 79.4
Roddy White: 78.2
Greg Jennings: 77.5

Not even close. AJ has 15 yds/G more than any other receiver in the NFL.

Even if he could pick up the playbook (lets assume he could), is he the kind of football grinder who does well in the Pats environment?

BB is a great coach but he's not a great coach for everybody--maybe give Tomlin some credit for being a great coach for this guy.

This mindset among some Patriot fans that it takes some special kind of player to thrive with the Patriots is utter BS.

What bothers me right now about this coaching staff is why isnt Taylor Price given an opportunity?I seen enough of Chad Ochocinco.Put the kid in the game and see what he can do

This mindset among some Patriot fans that it takes some special kind of player to thrive with the Patriots is utter BS.

I don't like your word "special" but I certainly think there are players whose attitudes would work better in NE than elsewhere (Ninkovich) and guys who would do worse in NE than they'd do elsewhere.

Lets take Adalius Thomas. He was a great fit in Baltimore, and was immensely productive, popular in the locker room, hard-working, etc., but he gets to New England and clashes from BB. The same player does much better in one good organization than he does in another.

Frankly, it seems to me like it's a flaw/weakenss of Belichick if he can only coach gym rats and is too inflexible to get through to a talented player who was very good elsewhere.

And Greg Jennings could have been a Patriot over the infamous Chad Jackson......seriously we could do these what ifs all day long!

While were at it Anquan Boldin could have been a Pat over Bethel Johnson

What bothers me right now about this coaching staff is why isnt Taylor Price given an opportunity?I seen enough of Chad Ochocinco.Put the kid in the game and see what he can do

Don't you even dare start this up again. We finally put this to rest a week and a half ago.

It's alarming when he misses at the same position.

Jackson vs Jennings
Tate vs Wallace
Cunningham vs Dunlap
Vereen vs Murray

In all 4 cases, the guy the Patriot didn't take were much better COLLEGE players.

And that is the head scratcher.

Tedy Bruschi went in the 3rd round but he was the ALL TIME Sack leader in college.
Vrabel - All American
Law - All American

And for all the Tom Brady 6th round stuff, if you watch college football and I did, he was a great big game college player and if Lloyd Carr played him more he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He also didn't have the build coming out of college. He played at Michigan, not N. Illinois.

Now Vereen might be great, but Murray was awesome in college. That's why I like Brandon Spikes. Despite all the questions about his overall skills he was a leader and money player in college and guys like that usually succeed.

Derrick Brooks was a 2nd round pick because of his size and strength. He was a phenomenal college player and a Hall of Fame NFL Player. Give me the big time college player from the big time school every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes