PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pioli + Cassel...futures intertwined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does Pioli's hiring make KC a potential suitor for Cassel

I'd rather have Calvin Johnson, but I like what you're thinking about turning the pick around.
The emergence of Cassel has put the Patriots into a solid position to improve the composition of the team in the coming years.

Based on recent Patriots trading/drafting history, futures a season or two down the track sounds about right.

I'm also conceeding the tight rope we are balancing with the salary cap as it were, with several of our own big names due for extensions soon.

In an ideal world, I'd take James Harrison or Ed Reed without blinking an eye if either were available.

Thigpen isn't their problem. He actually wasn't all that bad - even if the team did finish 24th in yards and 26th in points scored. The Chiefs' problem is their defense. The only team that gave up more yards was the Lions - and only Lions, Rams and Broncos gave up more points. Pioli saw the Pats turnaround and it was due to an improved defense, not offense; the QB play from Brady came later on. I seriously doubt he'll go after Cassel in a trade.

yes, it seems that it may

imo, its best to be high in the draft, and be able to move down then the other way around....

if we can get the 3, get it, and we can figure it out l8r, its a nice prob to have

we can always move down the draft if no alternatives arise....

I believe it has been more than 5 years since anyone in the top 5 has successfully traded down.

With the amount of $ that top 5 picks get paid, teams don't want to move up into those spots.

Thigpen isn't their problem. He actually wasn't all that bad
Is Thigpen part of the solution or part of the problem ? Closer to the latter IMO. He was 27th in the league in QB rating at 76.0. He got off to a bad start then got hot then was fairly consistent over the last 7 games; I calculated his average QB rating for those 7 games and it was . . . 76.1. As of now that's what he is.

I doubt Pioli sees him as part of the solution or part of the future.

Is Thigpen part of the solution or part of the problem ? Closer to the latter IMO. He was 27th in the league in QB rating at 76.0. He got off to a bad start then got hot then was fairly consistent over the last 7 games; I calculated his average QB rating for those 7 games and it was . . . 76.1. As of now that's what he is.

I doubt Pioli sees him as part of the solution or part of the future.

Yeah but.....for things to fix right away, he's far down the list. There are holes everywhere on that team. Cassel's price tag may be too high to be seen as an immediate solution to average/below average QB play.

Yeah but.....for things to fix right away, he's far down the list. There are holes everywhere on that team. Cassel's price tag may be too high to be seen as an immediate solution to average/below average QB play.
Like I said, I think Cassel likely won't go there - but if you're gonna fix a team the QB is a real good place to start. Look at what happened to NE and Atl when Brady and Ryan were put in; immediate and substantial improvement. With Gonzalez and Bowe they have some receivers; if they could get LJ's head on straight they'd a good RB rotation in him and Charles. Build the OL around Albert, presumably with some cheap, decent guys how we did and draft defense and they could move fairly quickly. But not without a QB.

Like I said, I think Cassel likely won't go there - but if you're gonna fix a team the QB is a real good place to start. Look at what happened to NE and Atl when Brady and Ryan were put in; immediate and substantial improvement. With Gonzalez and Bowe they have some receivers; if they could get LJ's head on straight they'd a good RB rotation in him and Charles. Build the OL around Albert, presumably with some cheap, decent guys how we did and draft defense and they could move fairly quickly. But not without a QB.

I think the difference between Cassel and and Thigpen on THAT team is not that great. Upgrade, yeah, definitely but not at the top of my list if I'm SP.

I think the difference between Cassel and and Thigpen on THAT team is not that great. Upgrade, yeah, definitely but not at the top of my list if I'm SP.
As I said earlier I don't think Pioli would break the bank for Cassel. However, with some decent receivers Thigpen just wasn't that good. You can't win without a good QB and it's really difficult to get a good QB. For a reasonable price I think he'd be happy to cross "QB" off from his list of problems.

thingpen actually played better with a horrible coach and a shaky team. I think pioli is going to draft a stud DL or LT with the number 3 pick and get another Gaurd later. You build the trenches first. They drafted a tonne last year but again second yr players with better coaching might not that bad.

with that he might get the ball rolling for this year. 2-14 to 5-11 is still an major step and then he can have one offseason and draft to build.

with cassell he would give away picks and money with nothing show with out a good team around him.

Piolli will not be in the cassell sweepstake . He has thingpen who was avg with a horrible coach and supporting cast. He did lead them to some come back which herm edwards blew with some horrible calls in the end of games,
He as alot of picks and 30 million in cap why tie that up with cassel knowing the supporting cast is going to be the same as you have given away top pick and money.

At the end of 2009 season cassell signing by KC will be seen as a failure no matter what , why set yourself for failure. draft a stud DL or Tackle [i am leaning tackle] then a set of good picks .sign a good coach and FA.

give thingpen who performed avg in a bad situation to grow in his second year and also see how the 14 draft picks that KC had last year develop in the second before getting all crazy.

Piolli will not be in the cassell sweepstake . He has thingpen who was avg with a horrible coach and supporting cast.
Average ? The only QB ranked below him were :

Frerotte
Orlovsky
Bulger
Fitzpatrick
Anderson

Pioli may not be interested in Cassel but Thigpen was not average.

Well i don't think Pioli would part with that 3rd overall for Matt Cassel. But i bet he'll be willing to do it for KC's 2009 Second Rounder wich is at the Top of the 2nd and a 2010 First. I could more than live with that.

Well i don't think Pioli would part with that 3rd overall for Matt Cassel. But i bet he'll be willing to do it for KC's 2009 Second Rounder wich is at the Top of the 2nd and a 2010 First. I could more than live with that.
I'd take their #2 this year and be damn happy with it, to be honest. Anything else would be gravy for me.

Cassel for LJ + KC's 2nd round pick (#34, right?).

Is that within the realm of possibility?

It's reasonable but I can't see keeping Morris, Maroney and Johnson all happy together.

In the end, the bottom line is that you believe that Pioli would pay higher than other bidders for Cassel.

In the end, many teams would do better giving a 2009 second or a 2010 first for Cassel instead of drafting a QB in the first round.

You mean a 2009 second and a 2010 first for Cassel.

I can't see us giving anything up to get LJ. At this stage, I doubt he's a noticeable jump over what the committee can already do. Plus, we only want RB's to batter football players...

Even Gonzo I don't think is worth giving up a pick for. Time to build the roster through the draft and FA's. The trade would have to be Moss-like to be worth it, imo.

I'd take their #2 this year and be damn happy with it, to be honest. Anything else would be gravy for me.

I think I would too at this point.

If Pioli deals for Cassel, I doubt it's for more than their 2nd and a 2010 second. This is similar to the deal the Texans dealt to the Falcons for Matt Schaub, who was in a comparable situation to Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call