PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pioli + Cassel...futures intertwined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does Pioli's hiring make KC a potential suitor for Cassel

Well i don't think Pioli would part with that 3rd overall for Matt Cassel. But i bet he'll be willing to do it for KC's 2009 Second Rounder wich is at the Top of the 2nd and a 2010 First. I could more than live with that.

This is a solution that might just work. Gonzales has flatly said he does not want to be part of a rebuilding team. The Chiefs tried to get a third rounder for him before the trade deadline. He has three years left on his contract that I understand is not that bad. BB likes veterans. Especially ones with 96 catches.

This needs to happen prior to draft day. I would think that SP would do a swap of picks (#3 for our #24), his second and Gonzales for Cassel and maybe a fourth round NE pick. It frees up CAP space even more (and the exorbitant price a #3 pick in round one for not one NFL snap) for the Chiefs who should be busy in the FA market. There are a few decent OL FAs to go with what they have right now in Albert and Waters. It gets them hopefully a franchise type QB in Cassel and Thigpen can still be a serviceable backup QB. SP keeps a first rounder in a realistic pricing spot (ala Pats).

I think this trade is about right. The key is SP keeps a first rounder and gets a QB he has knowledge and faith in and a major upgrade. They have some decent WRs in Bowe and Darling and a good top tier RB in LJ if he sees the value of staying now. Charles could be a great change of pace to give LJ rest. If he can catch he could be the Faulk clone. You have Cassel with a work horse like LJ and the pressure is off him too. Pick up a FA like OT Jordon Gross or a Mark Taucher and the Chiefs aren't bad on offense. Now SP and the Chiefs with Cassel, if he can stay productive, are they not at the least as good as anyone in the AFC West on offense?

Now SP needs to draft for some defensive help like maybe a Raji from BC or a CB like Moore from Vandy. SP will address OL depth in the mid rounds as we all know. A few years and some adds and the defense won't be bad either.

The Pats get an immediate upgrade in Gonzales at least for a few years. Who do you cover Welker, Moss, Gonzales or Faulk on third down? If we want to run, Watson has become a serviceable blocker, just not a dependable receiver. This all makes Brady come back next year with some better toys. They are as dangerous as ever. The Pats will trade out of the #3 pick as we all know and drop to mid pack (ala Mayo) and pick up that lost forth rounder or even higher.

SUMMARY=Both teams get better

DW Toys

The problem is the signing bonus is so high for the first five picks in the draft, that no one wants to trade up in that range. There hasn't been a trade in the top 5 since the Giants traded for Manning and that was only a two spot difference and happened after both teams drafted.

trading is not the only way to move down in a draft...

if worst comes to worst, and we cant move down b/c of no partner, then we force it...we let the time run out....

trading is not the only way to move down in a draft...

if worst comes to worst, and we cant move down b/c of no partner, then we force it...we let the time run out....

How does this sound for a creative idea if we get #3 overall --- trade up.

Yes, trade to the Lions for the number one pick.

We give them another pick plus the Lions can name two players that we are not allowed to to take. (so from the Lions perspective they are only trading from the the #1 pick to the #2 pick because they will get at worst case their second choice.) The names of two players is confidential and neither the Lions nor Pats can reveal that aspect of the trade to anyone until after the draft.

With the Patriots now having the number one pick they are free to negotiate with players and sign a contract before draft day. (Like the Dolphins did with Long).

So they go to their favorite player and say how would you like to me the number one pick in the draft? Thing is we don't overpay for rookies. So you can turn us down college stud and get drafted by Rams or Raiders or you can sign with us for less money and have a real shot at a ring.

If he has the heart of Randy Moss we sign him. If he has the heart of Asante we move on to our second choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey