PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PI on Butler before Colts 4th TD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's crazy is the NFL rules even state that if in doubt, don't throw the flag.
The ref behind the play throws the flag pretty late as well.
Typical garbage.

This penalty was definitely the herald for the way the rest of the game would play out. I'm not even shocked anymore when the Colts offense gets important penalties in crunch time... the league's rules have been tweaked to the point where they want the offenses to have every chance to win the game (unless you're going for it on 4th and 2 and catch the ball 3 yards downfield, in which case you'll get nothing and like it.)

Last edited:
Deion Sanders after the game on NFLN said the PI call was horrible, no PI Butler did a great job as per D Sanders. Mooch agreed.

We all knew, going into this game, there would be PI calls favoring Indy in their house.

They've never beaten the Pats without them. Write this down. If the Pats happen to meet them again in the po's, in Indy, there will be more.

No doubt. I knew before sunday's game they were gonna call bad penalties against the pats. When the colts down by 13 at the time they called the PI penalty. Its like the refs help them out with these calls in critical parts of the game when it looks like the Colts will lose. Remember the 2005 playoff game between the steelers and colts? the steelers were winning, controlling the game and the refs were doing everything they could to help the colts come back. Remember when Troy Polamalu INT but was overturned? It was obvious that he had control of the ball on the replay.

Last edited:
This penalty was definitely the herald for the way the rest of the game would play out. I'm not even shocked anymore when the Colts offense gets important penalties in crunch time... the league's rules have been tweaked to the point where they want the offenses to have every chance to win the game (unless you're going for it on 4th and 2 and catch the ball 3 yards downfield, in which case you'll get nothing and like it.)

Now that 36 hours have passed since my mental breakdown........

I can now laugh at it all.:rofl:

I hate to blame the refs. but these TERRIBLE 4th qtr calls are breaking this team's nuts every time they play. It's freaking ridiculous. The reason I hate calls like that is because who ever is at home is going to get the call. They shouldn't call a penalty on judgement..That doesn't sound like incluclusive evidence to me, but whatever

NFL Videos: NFL GameDay: Patriots vs. Colts highlights

It is in there... I agree with you that it was a bad call, however... I heard a sports talk radio reporter say that these penalties are called every week. The rule just needs to be adjusted or another tool that takes the human element out of the decision. Colts will always get this call for them, ever since the 2003 AFC game.

Sanders (in disgust) - "That's a horrible call."

I don't think it was PI, and I think Kevin got the first down on 4th and 2, but we all need to take some positives away from that game.

1) NE's secondary played pretty well for the most part.
2) Sebastian Vollmer made "Dwight Freeney disappear", and the next time NE plays Indy they should be able to replace Kaczur with Light, who would likely do a better job against Mathis.
3) Burgess is actually starting to make an impact as a pass rusher.
4) Ty Warren and Jarvis Green missing this contest likely contributed to NE's breakdown on defense in the second half, as BB and co. weren't able to get much of a rotation to help keep their big men fresh. There are two good things about those injuries: Pryor, and the other backup D-linemen got some needed experience against one of the best offenses in Football, and both Warren, as well as Green, should be back in the rotation sometime in the near future.
5) Fred Taylor should be healthy come playoff time, and if the Patriots were to meet the Colts again, I would expect Taylor to be a difference maker. He's run well against the Colts in the past, and he seemed to have plenty left in the tank before suffering that ankle injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST