PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Speculation: Pioli, McDaniels to Falcons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. Now can we ignore this and get back on with life?

I presume you mean life in the NFL. The reality is that there are few important stories this week. There are the playoff races. Will the Giants self-destruct? Will Pittsburgh? And then, there are the potential changes in the front offices in Miami, Atlanta and the Giants. This is indeed LIFE.

If you mean tht LIFE only includes stories that could affect the patriots, this set of stroies certainly qualifies. Even if pioli isn't involved, there will be the question of which coaches will elave, and when they will be talking to other teams.

Is this a distraction from the critical game with Miami? Sure.

Great. Now can we ignore this and get back on with life?

Last edited:
Feel free to take Mcdaniels anytime. Does fatboy Weiss have any tie backs to Parcells?

How is turning over the team to Parcells and pioli like handing it over to a college freshman? If you are talking about Josh; no one would "turn the team" over to josh. Under Parcells and pioli, a young coach can indeed succeed.

And no, I do NOT think that this situation would be in any way a feud among the guys involved. If pioli wants to go, the front office will discuss it, and likely let him go. Scotty has to decide what he wants to do. He certainly can be part of the Kraft organization for many years, if he so chooses.

Personally, I'd like to see the Giants loose already so that Parcells and scotty can finalize their choices. I think that they would rather run the giants than atlanta, but we'll see.

I meant McDaniels, Parcells and Pioli have resumes that speak for themselves. McDaniels will likely end up being a good coach but doesn't look to be a good fit in Atlanta who is not seeking innovation of freshness, they are after a person who can take control and add some toughness and stability.

Permission is fickle but I agree, Pioli and or McDaniels would be free to go just don't steal players / coaches on your way out to the parking lot.

Didn't Pioli turn down a chance to talk with the Giants last year? Not my best research but here is at least one link, http://www.google.com/search?source...rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS240US240&q=scott+pioli+giants

I think Cofflin is as good as gone, but they hired Reese as their top guy last year, I don't expect any changes in their front office.

Last edited:
How is turning over the team to Parcells and pioli like handing it over to a college freshman? If you are talking about Josh; no one would "turn the team" over to josh. Under Parcells and pioli, a young coach can indeed succeed.

And no, I do NOT think that this situation would be in any way a feud among the guys involved. If pioli wants to go, the front office will discuss it, and likely let him go. Scotty has to decide what he wants to do. He certainly can be part of the Kraft organization for many years, if he so chooses.

Personally, I'd like to see the Giants loose already so that Parcells and scotty can finalize their choices. I think that they would rather run the giants than atlanta, but we'll see.

LOL Do you think if you call him "Scotty" you have any idea what he wants?

He followed Belichick to NE when he could have remained with Pops and Al Groh in NY...and that speaks volumes on his assessment of what life with the old man meant to him, too. I doubt there is any "they" who want to run the Giants. Parcell's just wants to get back in the game most anywhere, again however briefly, because as is his way he is already bored with his last decision to sit in the booth. Scott is not about to link himself to that schitzo history when he has sufficient credentials to be the head of football ops anywhere he wants to be. And not have a larger than life presence who still craves attention trumping him at every turn. I think he prefers making history with Belichick to becoming a footnote in his aging and increasingly less successful father in law's. But that's just my opinion based on reading his reactions over the last several years...and not injecting what I think a successful individual should want to do.

Seattle offered Pioli the keys to the kingdom and a boat load of cash and he didn't take it. Why would he go to Atlanta to have Parcells looking over his shoulder? That would be a lateral move to NE and considering the relationship between BB and SP it might be a step down.

He might move on some day for the right opportunity, maybe even this year who knows, but I find it hard to believe this is the job.

Looks like another fishing expedition.

Scotty is Scotty and Tommy is Tommy. It is what it is.

And no, I don't know what Pioli wants for his future. I don't know whether he has decided to stay with the patriots for the rest of the decade, to complete the dynasty with Belichick and jonathan. The 2000-2009 patriots are already one of the top dynasties of all time. Obviously, I would like him to make the decision to wait if he wants to try to build another dynasty somewhere else.

LOL Do you think if you call him "Scotty" you have any idea what he wants?

He followed Belichick to NE when he could have remained with Pops and Al Groh in NY...and that speaks volumes on his assessment of what life with the old man meant to him, too. I doubt there is any "they" who want to run the Giants. Parcell's just wants to get back in the game most anywhere, again however briefly, because as is his way he is already bored with his last decision to sit in the booth. Scott is not about to link himself to that schitzo history when he has sufficient credentials to be the head of football ops anywhere he wants to be. And not have a larger than life presence who still craves attention trumping him at every turn. I think he prefers making history with Belichick to becoming a footnote in his aging and increasingly less successful father in law's. But that's just my opinion based on reading his reactions over the last several years...and not injecting what I think a successful individual should want to do.

And if Mangini had stayed, he'd now be in line for... exactly what he has already had for the past two years, a lucrative HC contract at 5-10x the salaray he was making before.

Sorry, when the salary raise promised is multiples of your current salary, you always take it. Always. Too many things can go wrong and that payday may never come.

And I don't buy the NYJ job as being a career killer. If we've learned anything from the careers of Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, and others, it's that head coaches who fail who are excellent coordinators can usually go back to being a coordinator and get another shot at HC. Multiple times.

BB advised Eric that the job would be a career killer and events are proving it so. clueless owner and Tanny as GM in a very tough media environment.

The way he's handled the team illustrate that Mangini absolutely needed seasoning as a coach. As a young disciple of BB, the window would only grow wider for Mangini. He would have far better situations to start as a HC. There really ARE people who take a longer view of their career than the next big paycheck opportunity and look at other aspects of the proposed job, the people you're working for and with being a prime example. Mangini was in the catbird seat looking long to 2008. Now he's regarded as a pretender who took a Herm Edwards coached team and made it worse.

Seattle was not a great situation. Seattle wanted a coach and GM to put them over the top. Abything less the SB would ahve been considered a failure.

The Atlanta (and Miami) situations are much different. They are chances to take disasters, develop a 5 year plan and implement (sound familiar?).

One can looke at a partnership in many ways. Does pioli think Belichick and Jonathan Kraft "look over his shoulder"? And would NOT be a lateral for Pioli to be GM of the falcons.

Seattle offered Pioli the keys to the kingdom and a boat load of cash and he didn't take it. Why would he go to Atlanta to have Parcells looking over his shoulder? That would be a lateral move to NE and considering the relationship between BB and SP it might be a step down.

He might move on some day for the right opportunity, maybe even this year who knows, but I find it hard to believe this is the job.

Looks like another fishing expedition.

Last edited:
Pioli is not going to want to go from a job he is respected and honored for (is their any debate as to him winner executive of the year this year??) to the guy working for his father-in-law??

Anyone here, want to leave your job to go and work for your father-in-law??

Anyone???

I didn't think so.

Even beyond that, the only reason Pioli would leave is to make his mark far from the shadow of Belichick, (though I don't believe that Pioli truly feels insecure about how highly he's regarded around here.)

So he'd shun Belichick's shadow to work in Parcell's shadow - someone who again it will be perceived is "buying the groceries" as opposed to Pioli?

That makes no sense.

Yes, I can see Pioli leaving for the right situation. Leaving the Patriots to be a subordinate to Parcells is not what I'd consider the right situation.

The question is what Pioli thinks is "an ideal situation"

Personally, I think it would be fun to develop the Atlanta disaster into a competitive franchise, with Parcells as a partner in the effort. BTW, I would be offering Garrett the HC spot, not Josh. Josh "could" be offered an assistant HC job, but I don't think I would do that. I would talking to Chow for that role.

Last edited:
Ahh I hate this leave our guys alone Parcells isn't abandoning our team right before the superbowl enough?

I doubt either will happen, Pioli is very happy here.. McDaniels needs more seasoning, I kinda thought that he is being groomed to replace BB.. but who knows.

Why would Pioli consider going to such a losing organization. What job would Bill offer? He's already the GM and we all know how he likes to buy the groceries. They are at least 3-4 years away and need a top notch quarterback which is a crap shoot in the draft. Pioli would be nuts to leave the Patriots well oiled organization.

The new rumor is that Parcells wants Romeo as his coach in Miami.

1. Why would Cleveland let him out of his contract now that they are finally winning and he has two years left.

2. Why would Romeo want to start over?

3. Savage and Romeo have a great working relationship by all accounts so why go back under Tuna's thumb?

The media just loves to throw it against the wall and see what will stick.

Pioli is not going to want to go from a job he is respected and honored for (is their any debate as to him winner executive of the year this year??) to the guy working for his father-in-law??

Anyone here, want to leave your job to go and work for your father-in-law??

Anyone???

I didn't think so.

Well not no but HELL NO!!!

If I was Pioli, I would ride out this dynasty and THEN cash in big time someplace else.

Five more years with Belichick, Brady and the rest of this team and you may be looking at 2-3 more SB's, a possible undefeated season and a huge place in history.

The new rumor is that Parcells wants Romeo as his coach in Miami.

1. Why would Cleveland let him out of his contract now that they are finally winning and he has two years left.

2. Why would Romeo want to start over?

3. Savage and Romeo have a great working relationship by all accounts so why go back under Tuna's thumb?

The media just loves to throw it against the wall and see what will stick.

While I am all for thread consolidation, the Romeo to Miami rumor is so completely different in how it affects the Pats from the McDaniels+Pioli to Atlanta rumor that it was crazy to add it to this old thread and bump it to the top. No way to have a reasonable discussion. As you can see, the posts after yours are still talking about the original thread topic, which is now completely irrelevant.

LET THIS THREAD DIE A QUIET DEATH!!!!

Last edited:
While I am all for thread consolidation, the Romeo to Miami rumor is so completely different in how it affects the Pats from the McDaniels+Pioli to Atlanta rumor that it was crazy to add it to this old thread and bump it to the top.
Agreed, this is crap. Can a moderator please lock this ?

While I am all for thread consolidation, the Romeo to Miami rumor is so completely different in how it affects the Pats from the McDaniels+Pioli to Atlanta rumor that it was crazy to add it to this old thread and bump it to the top. No way to have a reasonable discussion. As you can see, the posts after yours are still talking about the original thread topic, which is now completely irrelevant.

LET THIS THREAD DIE A QUIET DEATH!!!!
On the other hand, I'm all for lumping all the PFT crap in one terrible thread. Takes up less front page space that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back