PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Shawne Merriman's career in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3552936

Merriman heads to Miami with eye on playing in 2008
ESPN.com news services
Updated: August 25, 2008, 11:48 PM ET

Shawne Merriman, on his way from San Diego to Miami for a final examination of his ailing knee, said he will do whatever he can to play this season.

"I can't imagine not playing football this year," Merriman said in an interview at the San Diego airport with ESPN.com's Bill Williamson. "I really can't. That's what this is all about. I want to see that I can play … I haven't made my decision yet, but I am going to do everything I can to play. That's what this is all about."

Merriman told reporters in San Diego on Saturday that he has a tear in his lateral collateral ligament as well as a grade-three tear of his posterior collateral ligament. He had doctors in Alabama, Minnesota and New York examine his knee last week.

"I have to go make this last trip and then get back with the team and figure it all out," Merriman said. "This is all about me playing. That's all I want to do."

Merriman told Williamson that he doesn't expect the injury to threaten his career. On Saturday, he told reporters in San Diego: "It could be career-threatening if I did [play]. It's a possibility. That possibility is still open."

Merriman has been told reconstructive surgery would keep him out for the 2008 season. Another option is a less invasive surgery that would allow him to play at some point in the season.

"They've all said the same things about the injury," Merriman said last week. "[They're] kind of surprised that I've been playing with it up to this point."

The Chargers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Carolina Panthers.

He'll be seeking a 4th opinion today after 3 doctors have recommended knee surgery.

He'll be seeking a 4th opinion today after 3 doctors have recommended knee surgery.

That sort of thing always scares the heck out of me. Reggie Lewis was so pleased to find a doctor who said his heart wasn't so bad after all. :(

Maybe he'll play if the 13th doctor says he's good to go.

Re: Shawne Merriman's Career In Jeopardy

I have a different take........as Marv Albert would say "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS".....I hope LT blows out his knee next........Let's hope Gates is not the same this year too.........Stay classy San Diego......

Dare I say, "Karma?"

Dare I say, "Karma?"

Is it that you have no understanding of the obvious difference in the two situations, or is it just that you're a troll?

Last edited:

Is it that you have no understanding of the obvious difference in the two situations, or is it just that you're a troll?

What is the difference? Great players get hurt. I was pointing out that when Merriman's injuries were disclosed, there was great pleasure on this board. Funny quotes like the one I highlighted.

I like Tom Brady and think it is a sad day for football, not just the Patriot Nation.

What is the difference? Great players get hurt. I was pointing out that when Merriman's injuries were disclosed, there was great pleasure on this board. Funny quotes like the one I highlighted.

I like Tom Brady and think it is a sad day for football, not just the Patriot Nation.

Merriman is idiot enough to be playing despite doctor's orders... 5 separate opinions is what I believe has been reported. His own team told him to get surgery after last season.. That's the difference.

Merriman is idiot enough to be playing despite doctor's orders... 5 separate opinions is what I believe has been reported. His own team told him to get surgery after last season.. That's the difference.

My post was in reference to people who take joy in other teams injuries, not Merriman's decision to play this year. I, like most SD fans, would have understood Merriman getting the surgery and sitting out this year.

every fanbase has ******ed fans, it's up to the good true football fans to rise above

i'm dissapointed that both players are hurt

facing a team that is missing a top player, tarnishes the victory somewhat.

in my team's case today, losing to a team who is missing their top player makes em look even worse

i'm glad we're notoriously slow starters and we play in an even weaker division than the pats, but i think it sucks brady got hurt, he's a good guy

While I don't wish injuries on any player, once one happens, I certainly don't get all teary eyed over it. Unfortunately for the chargers, I doubt many people outside of San Diego will be dissapointed by this news. Just like many of us aren't sorry to hear that Peyton Manning had his sack removed...bursa sack that is. :D

I've always gotten the sense that when merriman hits someone, he hopes to hurt them in as violent a way as possible. It appears karma's come back to bite him in the as... err, knee.

I think the whole league suffers when a star goes down, be it Tom Brady, the cover boy of the NFL, or a vicious hitter like Merriman. If you had Merriman on your team, you would worship him. And don't deny it. Rodney Harrison is proof. Ex-Charger...big time hitter...nasty personality on the field...and also a once suspended substance user.

I hope Tom Brady comes back better than ever. If the Chargers ever beat the Patriots...and that is a big if, I hope it is against a healthy Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back