PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Seymour could miss season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the PFT report and it did mention the 3 days.

Where?

Here is their rumor on Moss:

POSTED 8:28 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 8:55 a.m. EDT, September 1, 2007

MOSS ON THE BUBBLE?

There's talk among some league insiders that the New England Patriots are considering whether to release receiver Randy Moss.

Seriously.

We scoffed when we heard it, but then a source explained that the question the Pats are believed to be pondering is whether Moss will become a problem if he is not a focal point of the offense -- or if he isn't in the opening-day starting lineup.

And we agree that this sounds crazy. Exactly as crazy as, say, any rumors that would have been making the rounds on Friday morning that the Jaguars were planning to part ways with Byron Leftwich.

Moss currently is listed as one of the starters at receiver, along with Donte' Stallworth. But Moss suffered a pulled hamstring several weeks ago and has seen only limited duty since then, opening the door for other wideouts to show what they can do.

If this rumor is true, the only logical explanation is that the Pats are wrestling with whether Moss is a luxury that they don't need in order to be successful -- and whether his presence could actually keep them from their goals if he is unhappy with his role.

As we see it, however, it would be easy enough to dump him if he turns out to be a problem. The only financial risk would be his $2.5 million base salary, which becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster when the regular season begins (if he is released and chooses to take the rest of the money as his one-time termination pay).

Then again, maybe coach Bill Belichick doesn't want to divert his attention from getting the team ready to play by monitoring whether a grown man is behaving like one.

The situation bears watching as Saturday unfolds. Even if Moss stays, there's sure to be plenty of upheaval at the receiver position as final cuts are made, given that ten receivers are still on the roster, including Moss, Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight, Chris Dunlap, and C.J. Jones. (Chad Jackson and Troy Brown are still on the PUP list.)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Here is Tomase's:

September 1st, 2007
Rumors, rumors, rumors
Posted by John Tomase at 7:01 pm

It’s 7 p.m. and the Patriots still haven’t released their list of cuts. However, a rumor gaining momentum over the last three days is that they’re planning to drop Randy Moss, which would be a shocker to end all shockers. However, we must stress that in conversations with other league executives we’ve been unable to confirm this as anything more than hearsay.

A league source with knowledge of the Patriots’ moves said there’s a surprise on the cut list, but declined to elaborate. That could mean Moss. It could mean Reche Caldwell. Right now no one knows.

The Moss stuff began percolating on Thursday and really gained steam when Pro Football Talk included it in its rumor mill this morning. The theory seems to be the that the Pats aren’t sure he’ll embrace a role as a decoy. Reached today by colleague Karen Guregian, Moss’s agent, Tim DiPiero, said he hadn’t heard anything and that he was planning to be in the Meadowlands for Sunday’s opener, presumably to watch his client.

Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe Moss will be in uniform a week from tomorrow. We’ll keep you posted.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/index.php?paged=4

Please clear this up.
As BBF noted, when I look at the roster moves it seems pretty clear to me that BB expects to have Sey back by November. My big question is who goes down when Santonio Thomas comes up?

Florio talks about the rumors about Pats lately and how others may be taking glee in spreading them:

"So maybe good, old-fashioned human nature has taken root in some league circles, causing folks to focus on anything negative that they can find -- and possibly prompting them to make some stuff up, if need be."

"None of this changes the fact that there were rumors that Moss would possibly cut, or that there are rumors that Seymour might not play at all this year. But we think it's important to consider the factors that could be fueling the scuttlebutt. With all ears anxious to hear something that might make it harder for the pre-determined winners of Super Bowl XLII to fulfill their destiny, any rumors that emerge must be considered with that reality in mind. "
-----

Also Holley on EEI said "I am very comfortable saying the rumor is not true". This was after the first top-of-the-hour break. With his ties with the team and some of it's players I wouldn't be surprised if Holley talked to Seymour or someone else close to him during that break. (my specualtion of course)

Last edited:
He does have rumors past along by league insiders. That is more than we have.
It can be less than we have if they're not telling him the truth. Which is better . . . knowing nothing or thinking something that's false is true ?

So lets recap the 2007 off season rumors:

1.) Bruschi is dead
2.) Belichick is leaving to coach the Giants
3.) Moss will be cut
4.) Seymour is out for the year

Am I missing anything?

Florio talks about rumors about Pats and how others may be taking glee in spreading them:

"So maybe good, old-fashioned human nature has taken root in some league circles, causing folks to focus on anything negative that they can find -- and possibly prompting them to make some stuff up, if need be."

Also Holley on EEI said "I am very comfortable saying the rumor is not true". This was after the first top-of-the-hour break. With his ties with the team and some of it's players I wouldn't be surprised if Holley talked to Seymour or someone else close to him during that break. (my specualtion of course)

Yeah, I think people are jumping all over Florio when it seems that he may have fallen victim of a jealous smear campaign by other teams towards the Pats. That is one of the problems of a rumor site. If a remotely credible source starts to create a smear campaign, the rumor site gets caught up in it.

How much do you want to bet the source he talks about e-mailing who he could almost see the smile on his face was Bill Polian. I can see him taking glee in spreading rumors of the New England Patriyats.

I hope it turns out to be false. We are better with him.

1.) Bruschi is dead
3.) Moss will be cut

Am I missing anything?

5) Tom got a girl pregnant.

1.) Bruschi is dead
3.) Moss will be cut

Am I missing anything?

Giselle wouldn't let Tom attend the birth of his child because it was her birthday. Now the new one is that Bridgette doesn't want Tom to have anything to do with her and their baby.

1.) Bruschi is dead
3.) Moss will be cut

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, back before the draft there was the outrageous rumor that the Pats were sniffing around that notorious malcontent Randy Moss.

I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't picked up more on the one post that mentioned Holley saying that he's comfortable saying the Seymour rumor is NOT TRUE. That's a big deal. No one is calmed by this at all?

I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't picked up more on the one post that mentioned Holley saying that he's comfortable saying the Seymour rumor is NOT TRUE. That's a big deal. No one is calmed by this at all?
Makes me feel better - first I read of that - thanks.

Well lets look at the worst case scenario... We loss and all world stud that is as quick as a DE and as strong as a DT. Yet I truly believe that with Jarvis in there we still have the best D-line in football. Green could start on any other team except Carolina. I truly think if you give Green an entire season he would be Probowl material. Also Mike Wright is a servicable back up.

I love when Florio posts about the Colts and Chargers being in trouble it's always "He's so right."

But whenever he hears something negative from his myriad sources about the Pats, everyone abandons ship and claims it's just a bunch of crap.

Double standards on a fans' message board??? No way. I have never seen any;)

Well lets look at the worst case scenario... We loss and all world stud that is as quick as a DE and as strong as a DT. Yet I truly believe that with Jarvis in there we still have the best D-line in football. Green could start on any other team except Carolina. I truly think if you give Green an entire season he would be Probowl material. Also Mike Wright is a servicable back up.
I don't know that Green could start on any team excepting Carolina, but he certainly would be in contention on half or better...and I would also think Wright could even break the starting line-up on one or a dozen.

Welcome, by the way, are you a calf roper too?

Nobody really knows how serious this Injury actually is... But I do know one thing... If reports have it as 5-6 weeks... It will actually be anywhere from 7-9 weeks. And do you all really think R.Seymour will be the R.Seymour of old when he returns? Yea, ok...

Last edited:
Nobody really knows how serious this Injury actually is... But I do know one thing... If reports have it as 5-6 weeks... It will actually be anywhere from 7-9 weeks. And do you all really think R.Seymour will be the R.Seymour of old when he returns? Yea, ok...

There are no reports that have it 6 weeks. The PUP list mandates that Seymour sit for the first 6 weeks.

Yeah, back before the draft there was the outrageous rumor that the Pats were sniffing around that notorious malcontent Randy Moss.

PFT was correct on the Moss to the Patriots rumors.

Wrong on the Moss to the Packers rumors

Wrong on the Moss to the Jets rumors

(this might be only a "Minnesota to" rumor to be reunited with Pennington and I'm not going to try to compile all those pre-Oakland prognostications).

Wrong on the Moss to the Jags rumors

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2006/10/05/pft-moss-to-jags/

Wrong on the Moss back to Minny rumors

http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/1938717.aspx

Wrong on Miami

"We now think he'll eventually land in Miami, with former teammate Daunte Culpepper and fellow West Virginian Nick Saban."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=37658

I guess this counts as two more non-trades to the packers and Vikes since we didn't cut him

"Could it be that the Pats will try to shop Moss to someone like the Packers or the Vikings before cutting him"

http://forums.packersnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=17697&sid=79e5ce10f7b664b7418a922117ab2021

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 39 already displayed.

Sorry google, I'm not a glutton for punishment.:rofl:

I do apologize to any teams I left out, I know there's more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back