Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT says that Saints and Pats took Advantage of new CBA rule (this is for you Miguel)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    Miguel I don't know how true this is, but I'm just passing this along to you for your reference.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -3

That was brought up on the other "Saints get a BJ in return for Sullivan" thread - which understandably is gettting quite long...

Of course its not a lot of money in the first place - I'd think this rule is more significant to the Saints

Additionally Sullivan playing incentives void the last two years of his deal - which is academic for the Pats as they can cut him at anytime with minimal cap impact

Hopefully Sullivan will recognize the available incentive becoming a free agent 2 years sooner now

3. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

Sorry about that. I didn't see it in the thread.

4. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -3

I think that thread has gotten way too long... I think its appropriate to start new threads on these sort of topics in that situation... I for one am not going to fully read a 15 page thread

5. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -4

If that's the case it makes a LOT more sense why the Saints would try to trade Sullivan instead of flat out cut him. They get to spread out the cap impact. Pretty smart move by both team GMs in that case.

Give problem players a change of scenery. Maybe they work out maybe you cut em BUT you spread out the hurt that flat out cutting would have done to your cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2005
  6. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -3

Interesting in that this rule actually encourages trading rather than cutting - and might give those players who would otherwise languish at the bottom of the depth chart a fresh start with another team - before being cut if they really are useless

7. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Why would the Pats want to push off cap hit money to next year?

8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -4

For cap room. Dollars you can spend now are always more valuable than dollars later.

Though admittedly the Saints get a bigger cap benefit since the signing bonus they paid Sullivan was a lot bigger than the signing bonus the Pats paid BJ.

Then again the Pats organization has always been known to max out their cap efficiency whenever they have a chance. And sometimes that means letting players go. In this case it was a low risk trade that still had positive cap impact.

9. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Thanks for the heads ups.

10. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +331 / 27 / -15

Hooray !

I have been hoping that the league would do something like this. Unlike other sports football has been unable to do much trading because of the unfavorable accounting rules. If true, this levels the rules and should abet the player movement the NFLPA says it desires.

I would have preferred that it emphasize trading by say alllowing accounting in a beneficial way by amortizing over three years but at least it no longer is a disadvantage to trade a player.