PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Josh Reed visiting Monday [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem is, the Pats' offense is pass-happy, so he would have fit right in.

Thats not the point.
The point is he is overrated because of the numbers he put up in THAT offense.
He would be #3 here behind Moss and Welker and that isnt even close. He wouldn't come close to the numbers he put up in Az, even if luckily he stayed healthy.

What I am saying is that 2 very equal WRs could have 100 and 50 catches on different teams.
Most fans think the guy who caught 100 is twice the player but the fact is that he had twice the opportunities. Most fans would go crazy and overpay the guy who caught 100, while BB will sign the guy who caught 50 for a fraction of the cost.
Now I am not saying Josh Reed would put up Boldens #s in Az, but Bolden wouldn't have put them up in Buffalo.
But the best example is right here.
Wes Welker. He came here as a 60 catch guy, and turned into a 120 catch guy.
Would you rather et Welker at 60 catch cost, or Bolden at 100 catch cost? And Bolden isnt close to as good as Welker.
Bolden was a terrible investment by Baltimore. Not in the trade cost, not so much even in the money overpaid, but in the loss of what else they could have done with the money by signing a similar less known player who didnt accumulate stats because of the system.

Exactly, if Reed is the #4 and Mason is brought in to be the #3, I agree, that's fine. Here's my issue though, I believe that BB is looking at Reed to be the #3 and start with Moss.

I believe Jessica Simpson would be in my bed tonight if we had only met.
The
I am equally as able to read her mind as you are to read BBs, though.

This might be the very definition of "meh" when it comes to the Pats off-season.

Bolden was a terrible investment by Baltimore. Not in the trade cost, not so much even in the money overpaid, but in the loss of what else they could have done with the money by signing a similar less known player who didnt accumulate stats because of the system.

Are you suggesting that Josh Reed is a better player than Anquan Boldin? :confused:

Reed has missed the same number of games as Boldin since 2003, had his best season back when Bledsoe was the QB for the Bills, and he's actually older than Boldin.

Last edited:
Assuming we didn't break the bank on a stupid deal, I think it'd be a good signing. Of course he's not going to be the answer at WR, but he can contribute. As a #3 or #4, he'd be fine. If Edelman can fill a bit of Welker's shoes, Reed might have a pretty good season. For all the Gaffney love, he never averaged more than 3 catches a game in any season with the Pats. I don't see why Reed couldn't do just that.

Are you suggesting that Josh Reed is a better player than Anquan Boldin? :confused:

Where did you get that?
Bolden is less of a player than he is perceived to be. (well maybe not by the Cardinals who gave him away for almost nothing)
Reed is a better player than he is perceived to be.
The gap between the players is much narrower than common perception.

Reed has missed the same number of games as Boldin since 2003, had his best season back when Bledsoe was the QB for the Bills, and he's actually older than Boldin.

But he doesnt cost 7 million dollars.

I know college play means nothing in the pros, but I'd like to see the "old" Josh Reed playin' for the Pats.

As an alumnus of LSU I watched a lot of Reed while he was at college. He was recruited as a running back and played RB his frosh year. injuries made his switch to wideout. He's not tall and not very fast, but damn he played big at his new position. He put up over 3K yards recieving in just over 2 years at wideout, and won the Belitnikoff in 2001. He lit up Bama for almost 300 yds one time. Not bad for a guy new at his position.

Another tidbit, his QB at LSU was none other than European superstar Rohan Davey.

I'm sorry, is Derrick Mason a Patriot? If not, why do you guys keep referring to him as a Patriot?

Re: Josh Reed - visiting NE tomorrow (per PFT)

Don't forget that Tom Brady makes everyone around him a better player. I think he'd be better than a 4th WR with TB throwing him the ball. He was in Buffalo last year, so I'm not surprised his numbers were down.

I wonder how bad Watson would look without Brady. :D

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan...I know, I know...hold your applause down until later.

I've seen every game Josh Reed has played in the NFL. He's turned into a pretty good player on a pretty bad team. The thing that non-Bills fans overlook about him (if they ever think about him at all) is his ability to block. He is a hell of a blocker. IMO, he is strictly to be played in the slot. He has good hands, but that wasn't always the case. When he first came to Buffalo, he used to drop passes all the time. He got over that and has consistently converted third downs in the past many years...that's kind of his MO, converting third downs.

I think that he could be a VERY good player on your team if given the opportunity. With Tom Brady throwing behind your line, I think you'll see a different player entirely. He was a hell of a player in college and won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's best receiver. He was picked very high in the second round and still has some fire in the stove.

He'd be great for depth at the very least. He's good for some plays for sure.

If he comes cheap enough, and he can show he can pick up the offense, then the Pats will probably get him. He doesn't excite me, but I doubt he can be as bad as Doug Gabriel! I'm holding out hope for an impact player, but mid tier free agents are more the Pats MO.

Re: Josh Reed - visiting NE tomorrow (per PFT)

I'd rather Antonio Bryant.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one guy outside the organization I really wanted the Pats to sign. This would be AWESOME!!!! Then draft a wr in the second round to groom as a deep threat to take over for Moss, and we're all set on offense.

Now onto the front seven on defense.....

I've seen every game Josh Reed has played in the NFL. He's turned into a pretty good player on a pretty bad team. The thing that non-Bills fans overlook about him (if they ever think about him at all) is his ability to block. He is a hell of a blocker. IMO, he is strictly to be played in the slot. He has good hands, but that wasn't always the case. When he first came to Buffalo, he used to drop passes all the time. He got over that and has consistently converted third downs in the past many years...that's kind of his MO, converting third downs.

I think that he could be a VERY good player on your team if given the opportunity. With Tom Brady throwing behind your line, I think you'll see a different player entirely. He was a hell of a player in college and won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's best receiver. He was picked very high in the second round and still has some fire in the stove.

Heh Uncle! How's life in the packing house? Thanks for the input. While we're at it, what's up with Ryan Denney?

Ravens Insider: Mason could return, but no longer a priority

Last edited:
Perfect piece for our spread offense. I like it.

Thank you Uncle, for your very informed opinion. This is the kind of player the offense used to be based around. Patten, Brown, and Branch were all about the same size as Reed--if he could produce like Patten did, that would be worth the modest financial investment.

i would be in favour for his arrival in New England

thanks to Uncle Meat for his opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case