PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Josh Reed visiting Monday [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your logic is perfect if there were unlimited money available. You sound like the guy on a 40,000 a year income wishing he could live like a CEO.
You yourself list NUMEROUS possiblities at the WR position.
You just cannot have absolute certainty at every position. As much as you would like it its foolhardy when you have 2 allpro WRs to spend what it takes to get a 3rd, just in case Welker isnt the same. If he isnt then we bite that bullet, we dont ignore other needs to hav too much talent at one position just in case. If he isnt ready, we have Edleman (who everyone on this board was calling WW Jr until they thought we could get a guy with a name) Tate, the draft, and guys like Reed to fill that bill.
We won ALL of our SBs with worse WR corps than the one we will have next year with a guy like Reed, a rookie and no Welker.

You have to realize that every penny spent at WR is a penny that cant be spent on real problems.
I am perfectly happy with us retunring to a 2003-2006 type offense with balance that doesnt require 2 (and according to fans 3) WRs playing like Hall of Famers, and using the moeny available to shore up the D. We already have the offense we need less a few minor acquisitions (decent WR and some TEs).
Signing Bolden for that ridiculous money would have made him our 4th highest paid player. Aside from Thomas, the other top 3 would have been QB and 2 WRs while the 7th highest paid is Welker.
Do you really think the right way to build a team is to have 3 WRs in the top 7 of your cap? I don't.

None of this even includes the fact that Bolden is damaged goods and is overrated from stats padded by the system he plays in.
I'm saying if Bolden were as good as the perception he isn't worth that price TO THE PATS, and he isnt close to as good as the perception, when you also factor in his injury history, likelihood of future injuries and propensity to miss big games.

It's not only about if Welker is the same. IIRC, he's only making around 4 million dollars. That's an absolute bargain for the services he's provided us. It's about setting us up for the next few years. I think most of us would agree that we don't see Moss being retained in 2011. Adding a proven talent like Boldin for the next 3-4 years would have given Brady a consistent and reliable guy that has proven to be a great WR.

2010 is an uncapped season. Yes there are limited resources, but we haven't signed any other big-name free agents to big bucks. You don't think we could just bite the bullet this year and pay both Moss and Boldin? The thought process is, in an uncapped year, spend a little more than you would normally do, with two big ticket WR's in Moss and Boldin. You can sit Welker for as long as you'd like, let him heal up and recover slowly. After 2010, Moss is off the books. If the cap comes back, like it's projected, Boldin slides into that "#1 WR money" slot that Moss has occupied the last few years. Welker is still here at his bargain price, assuming he comes back healthy. Then you can use a draft pick on one of the top 4 WR in that 2011 draft at very reasonable money assuming there is a rookie cap.

I don't see how that plan wouldn't work. It would have us reloaded at WR for 2010 and set us up for basically the remainder of Brady's good years.

2010: Moss, Boldin, Edelman, Tate. Hopefully Welker can return later in the season and be back close to himself. That is unlikely however, as it takes a good amount of time in game action before you're back to your old self. Getting Welker back and sliding him in seamlessly is gravy at this point. Pay Moss and Boldin both that #1 WR money in an uncapped season.

2011: Boldin, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Draftee (Green/Baldwin/Jones/Floyd). Moss is not retained. Welker is fully healthy and ready to be close to what he was pre-injury. Boldin has a year of chemistry with Brady and slides into the #1 WR money (like Moss from 08-10). Edelman and Tate should be pretty much developed and be consistent contributors. You add a big-time game-breaker at WR in the draft for a cost effective price with the rookie salary cap. You no longer have to break the bank on a rookie WR, and he is under team control for the next few years.

"homer........homer.......homer......homer.........homer.........kick....I'm the only objective posted on this board" Is it a 45 or a 33 1/3?

Oddly enough, I don't consider myself the only objective poster on this board. Kontradiction, BradyFTW! and many, many others are also posters who do their very best to remain objective. Some succeed more than others, but they put in the effort.

Also, oddly enough, I don't mind homers or Chicken Littles, until they take it to excess. Box is a bit of homer, for example, but he brings analysis and humor to the table, and he strives for as much objectivity as he can. PatJew is a homer, and his posts are always fun and worth reading, and I hope he never leaves the board. I could name many others. I just can't include you in that list, because you think that even the smallest criticism is the equivalent of high treason. You're the "pro-Patriots" extreme mirror to the most rabid of the Chicken Littles.

What's happened is that the Chicken Littles have gone from being the insane group to being more rational than the extreme homers such as yourself. That's not a positive reflection on them, it's a negative reflection on you. You've become like Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House.

alliswell1.jpg

"All is well!"

It's not only about if Welker is the same. IIRC, he's only making around 4 million dollars. That's an absolute bargain for the services he's provided us. It's about setting us up for the next few years. I think most of us would agree that we don't see Moss being retained in 2011. Adding a proven talent like Boldin for the next 3-4 years would have given Brady a consistent and reliable guy that has proven to be a great WR.

2010 is an uncapped season. Yes there are limited resources, but we haven't signed any other big-name free agents to big bucks. You don't think we could just bite the bullet this year and pay both Moss and Boldin? The thought process is, in an uncapped year, spend a little more than you would normally do, with two big ticket WR's in Moss and Boldin. You can sit Welker for as long as you'd like, let him heal up and recover slowly. After 2010, Moss is off the books. If the cap comes back, like it's projected, Boldin slides into that "#1 WR money" slot that Moss has occupied the last few years. Welker is still here at his bargain price, assuming he comes back healthy. Then you can use a draft pick on one of the top 4 WR in that 2011 draft at very reasonable money assuming there is a rookie cap.

I don't see how that plan wouldn't work. It would have us reloaded at WR for 2010 and set us up for basically the remainder of Brady's good years.

2010: Moss, Boldin, Edelman, Tate. Hopefully Welker can return later in the season and be back close to himself. That is unlikely however, as it takes a good amount of time in game action before you're back to your old self. Getting Welker back and sliding him in seamlessly is gravy at this point. Pay Moss and Boldin both that #1 WR money in an uncapped season.

2011: Boldin, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Draftee (Green/Baldwin/Jones/Floyd). Moss is not retained. Welker is fully healthy and ready to be close to what he was pre-injury. Boldin has a year of chemistry with Brady and slides into the #1 WR money (like Moss from 08-10). Edelman and Tate should be pretty much developed and be consistent contributors. You add a big-time game-breaker at WR in the draft for a cost effective price with the rookie salary cap. You no longer have to break the bank on a rookie WR, and he is under team control for the next few years.

Where we differ is you have a much higher opinion of Bolden than I do, regarding both his health and his talent.
Secondly, we differ that the WR position is the most important place to spend huge money. I would rather spend 7 mill on defense and 3 mill on a WR than the other way around.
If Bolden were as good IMO as I think he is in yours, and I had any reason to believe he was at all durable enough to be there for a season and playoff run, I'd still say we are spending too much at WR.

I view him as a guy who had a lot of short passes thrown to him who is one of the slowest WRs in the NFL, and a tremendous injury risk, at a position that is not near the top of our needs list, not a game breaker who is our future.
I wold be very disappointed in 2011 if we 'replaced' Randy Moss and all he can do with Anquan Bolden who cant do half of it, just because his stats look like a "#1".

Josh Reed? Disappointing...

Reed has built an average career from doing the role the Pats hope they get out of Edelman. The signing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If he was an outstanding return man he could at least fill another roll. They need a WR that can play on the outside and get off a press. Right now that looks like Mason, Bryant, TO or draft.

Please no more so-so WRs..

Need a stud that is at least 6'. Boldin, Marshall, are studs.

Reed is a dud. Don't waste money & time.

I would rather move up the Draft, and get a rookie WR:

Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, Eric Decker.

Re: Josh Reed - visiting NE tomorrow (per PFT)

Don't know what to make of it hasn't reed been out of football? except that its a typical move, trying to ressurrect a player from the scrap heap.

No. He was just buried on Buffalo's depth chart on top of having to go through Fitzpatrick and Edwards throwing him the ball.

Reed has missed the same number of games as Boldin since 2003, had his best season back when Bledsoe was the QB for the Bills, and he's actually older than Boldin.

I suppose you know my thoughts on the Boldin miss. To be honest though, I don't have a problem with bringing Reed in. He's certainly an upgrade over Aiken. I hope we can bring Bryant in with him so our receiving corps would look something like this to start the season:

Moss - Bryant - Edelman/Reed - Reed/Edelman - Tate/Patten

But I do agree that just bringing in Reed will not be enough.

I hope the Pats are still interested in Derrick Mason. People say he's old....but, he keeps putting up 1,000 yard seasons playing with average to below average QB's.

Josh Reed.....come on.:confused: We can do better than that....can't we?

I'm starting to think the Pats are that couple that is rich...but, they shop at the Salvation Army. WTF is going on in Foxboro?

They are wasting Brady's career surrounding him with crappy WR's.

Last edited:
I suppose you know my thoughts on the Boldin miss. To be honest though, I don't have a problem with bringing Reed in. He's certainly an upgrade over Aiken. I hope we can bring Bryant in with him so our receiving corps would look something like this to start the season:

Moss - Bryant - Edelman/Reed - Reed/Edelman - Tate/Patten

But I do agree that just bringing in Reed will not be enough.

I'm all for pretty much anyone bring brought in. Another season of Mr. Aiken and Co. on the outside is simply not acceptable. Boldin, Branch, Reed, Mason, Jones, Coles, Randel El, Bryant.... all of them would fit the parameters for an upgraded position. Whether they would all fit in the system (I'm questioning Coles, Jones and Bryant in particular) is a different story, but they'd still be/have been worth a look, IMO.

I hope the Pats are still interested in Derrick Mason. People say he's old....but, he keeps putting up 1,000 yard seasons playing with average to below average QB's.

Josh Reed.....come on.:confused: We can do better than that....can't we?

I'm starting to think the Pats are that couple that is rich...but, they shop at the Salvation Army. WTF is going on in Foxboro?

They are wasting Brady's career surrounding him with crappy WR's.

I too am on the Mason bandwagon. The guy is a great route runner. He also still demands safety help. He would be an incredible pick up..... Problem solved. This offense would click with Mason, then around week 7 we get Welker back, defensive co-ordinators would be pulling their hair out looking for the blueprint!

DEPTH at WR is an issue.
Filling that DEPTH with the most costly player out there (Bolden) is foolhardy.
Having outstanding starters and questionable depth is better than the majority of the positions on the roster. That does not make it one of the weakest areas on the team.
Were we stronger at:
G,C,TE,RB,OLB,ILB,DE,CB,S than we were at WR last season? Did we really have players better than Moss and Welker complimented by players better than Edleman with Aiken as the last man on the bench at those positions?
The only position we were clearly better was QB and the only one that are arguable are OT and NT.
How does that add up to WR being one of our weakest positions?
Which ones were stronger?

Keeping in mind that I am counting unsigned UFAs as not part of the organization, and injured players (WW, Crable, Tate, McKenzie) as non-factors, I have graded the position groups by both quality & quantity (in some unscientific combination) as follows, from top to bottom (IMHO).

1st grouping; no major upgrades needed:

QB

NT (Brace can't be this bad next season, can he?)

OT (But is SeaBass' future at LT or just RT?)

Safety (more quantity than quality)

RB (esp. if Faulk re-signs; he deserves to retire a Patriot)

Now the drop-off begins; we need Major Upgrades at All of the following:

DE (from Warren down to Wright then way down to...?)

G/C (after Mankins: Koppen & Neal need replacing, but the backups are junk)

ILB (at least there's Mayo, the '08 version I hope)

WR (Moss + Edelman +...nobody)

CB (if Bodden re-signs, then I'll rank them ahead of DE but still in the 2nd grouping)

OLB (even with an over-paid TBC & a likely-gone ADT)

TE (Why release Baker? I don't get that one at all. Just 11 months ago, we had 5 legit candidates; now, we might have 0. If Watson re-signs, then I'll rank them behind RB at the bottom of the 1st grouping.)

So in conclusion, it seems to me that if Watson & Bodden re-sign, then the only position group worse-off than WR is OLB, even after Bill dropped a 3 year, $12-15M contract there. I therefore believe that WR should be a 2nd-round need plus a priority vet FA need before the start of the next season.

Keeping in mind that I am counting unsigned UFAs as not part of the organization, and injured players (WW, Crable, Tate, McKenzie) as non-factors, I have graded the position groups by both quality & quantity (in some unscientific combination) as follows, from top to bottom (IMHO).

1st grouping; no major upgrades needed:

QB

NT (Brace can't be this bad next season, can he?)

OT (But is SeaBass' future at LT or just RT?)

Safety (more quantity than quality)

RB (esp. if Faulk re-signs; he deserves to retire a Patriot)

Now the drop-off begins; we need Major Upgrades at All of the following:

DE (from Warren down to Wright then way down to...?)

G/C (after Mankins: Koppen & Neal need replacing, but the backups are junk)

ILB (at least there's Mayo, the '08 version I hope)

WR (Moss + Edelman +...nobody)

CB (if Bodden re-signs, then I'll rank them ahead of DE but still in the 2nd grouping)

OLB (even with an over-paid TBC & a likely-gone ADT)

TE (Why release Baker? I don't get that one at all. Just 11 months ago, we had 5 legit candidates; now, we might have 0. If Watson re-signs, then I'll rank them behind RB at the bottom of the 1st grouping.)

So in conclusion, it seems to me that if Watson & Bodden re-sign, then the only position group worse-off than WR is OLB, even after Bill dropped a 3 year, $12-15M contract there. I therefore believe that WR should be a 2nd-round need plus a priority vet FA need before the start of the next season.

My comment was in response to a statement that WR was one of our bggest weaknesses last year WITH Welker healthy, and that is simply foolish. While the depth was not great we had the best 1-2 in the league and the unit was incredibly productive.
If you eliminate Welker from the roster, then the top 3 are Moss, Edelmen and who we add, up until Welker returns, with Tate, a draft choice or Aiken as #4. When Welker returns we have Moss-Welker-?-Edlemen-Tate/draft choice
I am very much against the short term fillin for Welker being a guy we break the bank on (because we need to spend it in other areas instead) it needs to be a good #3/OK #2. More than that is overspending. IMO.

Where we differ is you have a much higher opinion of Bolden than I do, regarding both his health and his talent.
Secondly, we differ that the WR position is the most important place to spend huge money. I would rather spend 7 mill on defense and 3 mill on a WR than the other way around.
If Bolden were as good IMO as I think he is in yours, and I had any reason to believe he was at all durable enough to be there for a season and playoff run, I'd still say we are spending too much at WR.

I view him as a guy who had a lot of short passes thrown to him who is one of the slowest WRs in the NFL, and a tremendous injury risk, at a position that is not near the top of our needs list, not a game breaker who is our future.
I wold be very disappointed in 2011 if we 'replaced' Randy Moss and all he can do with Anquan Bolden who cant do half of it, just because his stats look like a "#1".

Boldin is not slow regardless of his 40 time being a 4.7. He's actually got pretty solid speed, so I don't know where you get that from. He wasn't only used on short passes. He was used as more of a deep threat than Fitzgerald. He's a YAC master who breaks a ton of tackles and is so good at operating the intermediate part of the field. He's not going to get behind defense like Moss can, but he's going to go over the middle and get his clock cleaned just to make a catch, unlike Moss.

In the uncapped year I don't see how you don't just bite the bullet and pay both guys and also spend to get help on defense. I honestly think Boldin at 7 million is quite a good deal. Even if you don't feel like he is an adequate replacement for Moss, you can get a Moss-type WR in the 2011 draft at a good price as I've stated. I just don't understand how you don't feel that would be cost effective. Boldin at 7 million, Welker at approx 4 million, AJ Green for at a great price with rookie cap, Edelman and Tate still on their rookie deals. I think that is very good and very economical WR corps.

Boldin is not slow regardless of his 40 time being a 4.7. He's actually got pretty solid speed, so I don't know where you get that from. He wasn't only used on short passes. He was used as more of a deep threat than Fitzgerald. He's a YAC master who breaks a ton of tackles and is so good at operating the intermediate part of the field. He's not going to get behind defense like Moss can, but he's going to go over the middle and get his clock cleaned just to make a catch, unlike Moss.

In the uncapped year I don't see how you don't just bite the bullet and pay both guys and also spend to get help on defense. I honestly think Boldin at 7 million is quite a good deal. Even if you don't feel like he is an adequate replacement for Moss, you can get a Moss-type WR in the 2011 draft at a good price as I've stated. I just don't understand how you don't feel that would be cost effective. Boldin at 7 million, Welker at approx 4 million, AJ Green for at a great price with rookie cap, Edelman and Tate still on their rookie deals. I think that is very good and very economical WR corps.

I don't know, even in an uncapped year there is a budget. Tying up $22M in 3 receivers is pretty high even when you don't consider the uncertainty of Welker.

I don't know, even in an uncapped year there is a budget. Tying up $22M in 3 receivers is pretty high even when you don't consider the uncertainty of Welker.

It's a good amount of money being committed to WR, but I think it's worth it. It's only for one year, and I think Kraft can afford it. I'm more of a pessimist with Welker after seeing the way guys like Merriman, Osi, Brady, etc. struggled to come back from ACL surgery. For a guy so reliant on quick cuts and stopping on a dime, I think it will be tough for him to ever be the same again. I pray that he is.

I see us addressing the defensive needs in the draft, which won't cost much money-wise. If I had to choose between paying Boldin 7 million or paying Bodden 7 million, I'd choose Boldin b/c I'm more concerned about WR than I am about CB. I think Butler and Wilhite both have bright futures, and Wheatley could have one. At WR, I'm concerned about Welker's knee and I don't see Moss back in 2011. What else do we have? Edelman, a good slot guy, and Tate.

I think Reed would be a great signing at less than $2M. He is not an old man yet, and clearly the idea of getting his '08 production is worth the gamble. Getting both Mason and Reed would be awesome. You would have a star at #1, a pair of "David Patten- David Givens"- #2s, with Edelman slicing and dicing, and an eventual elite offense if Welker can get back to 80% next year. Personally I would like to have either Mason or Reed, or both, but I'm guessing that Mason will get a big contract from a dumb team. Reed may just slip under the radar. He definitely isn't as polished as Mason, but he's younger and he's used to being a second or third option.

I think part of the problem with Galloway was he couldn't adapt to a complementary role of reading and reacting, cutting back for a quick slant, but instead he basically just tried to outrun the defense on every play. I don't see Mason or Reed as being so unadaptable. Also, with Mason, there is a huge difference between being 35 and 39.

Last edited:
My comment was in response to a statement that WR was one of our bggest weaknesses last year WITH Welker healthy, and that is simply foolish. While the depth was not great we had the best 1-2 in the league and the unit was incredibly productive.
If you eliminate Welker from the roster, then the top 3 are Moss, Edelmen and who we add, up until Welker returns, with Tate, a draft choice or Aiken as #4. When Welker returns we have Moss-Welker-?-Edlemen-Tate/draft choice.
I am very much against the short-term fill-in for Welker being a guy we break the bank on (because we need to spend it in other areas instead); it needs to be a good #3/OK #2. More than that is overspending, IMO.

It's true that Moss and esp. Welker covered up the flaws of piss-poor depth last year.

But as of this year, we have no idea when - or if - Welker will return, or whether he will ever regain his explosiveness & legendary cutting ability. And Moss will be a year older & a year slower, and in his last year as a Patriot - unless he's willing to accept a severly reduced salary.

That's why I feel that the overhaul of the WRs needs to begin now, so that whoever becomes the #2 (2nd-round draft pick or vet UFA) in 2010 is worthy enough to replace Moss as the #1 in 2011.

I'm not looking for a short-term fill-in for Welker (we already have him); I'm looking for a long-term replacement for Moss. And as a hedge against a rookie not being ready to ass-ume that role, I would prefer a vet to fill it instead. And that guy will cost money - Anquan Boldin money - but only for one year. I don't think that's overspending; in fact, to ignore this need might be considered underspending.

Last edited:
It's a good amount of money being committed to WR, but I think it's worth it. It's only for one year, and I think Kraft can afford it. I'm more of a pessimist with Welker after seeing the way guys like Merriman, Osi, Brady, etc. struggled to come back from ACL surgery. For a guy so reliant on quick cuts and stopping on a dime, I think it will be tough for him to ever be the same again. I pray that he is.

I see us addressing the defensive needs in the draft, which won't cost much money-wise. If I had to choose between paying Boldin 7 million or paying Bodden 7 million, I'd choose Boldin b/c I'm more concerned about WR than I am about CB. I think Butler and Wilhite both have bright futures, and Wheatley could have one. At WR, I'm concerned about Welker's knee and I don't see Moss back in 2011. What else do we have? Edelman, a good slot guy, and Tate.

We clearly disagree on Bolden and how good he is.
We also disagree it seems in what kind of a team we want.
I do not want a WR driven team. I do not want 3 '100 catch guys' out there at the expense of other areas. (And the expense of next year with all that cap money)
I want us to reestablish defense and a conservative approach to football as the identity of this team.
When that was the case, we won big games all the time, because we were able to do whatever we needed to in order to beat any opponnent.
We have evolved into a team that spreads them out and throws it, and if for whatever reason, we have a bad day in the passing game we cant win.

We didn't lose to Baltimore because of defense. Take away one long run and we allowed something like 3 yards a carry, I'll take that any day, even giving up the easy TD. We lost because our offense was terrible. It was terrible because it has an identity that requires spreading out the defense, keeping them off Brady, letting pass routes develop and putting it all on Brady shoulders. Problem is there are too many other things that have to happen to get it to Brady shoulder ON EVERY FREAKING PLAY.
We are a better team when we rely on Brady to make the difference not on 10 other players to allow Brady to make the difference 50 times a game.

We clearly disagree on Bolden and how good he is.
We also disagree it seems in what kind of a team we want.
I do not want a WR driven team. I do not want 3 '100 catch guys' out there at the expense of other areas. (And the expense of next year with all that cap money)
I want us to reestablish defense and a conservative approach to football as the identity of this team.
When that was the case, we won big games all the time, because we were able to do whatever we needed to in order to beat any opponnent.
We have evolved into a team that spreads them out and throws it, and if for whatever reason, we have a bad day in the passing game we cant win.

We didn't lose to Baltimore because of defense. Take away one long run and we allowed something like 3 yards a carry, I'll take that any day, even giving up the easy TD. We lost because our offense was terrible. It was terrible because it has an identity that requires spreading out the defense, keeping them off Brady, letting pass routes develop and putting it all on Brady shoulders. Problem is there are too many other things that have to happen to get it to Brady shoulder ON EVERY FREAKING PLAY.
We are a better team when we rely on Brady to make the difference not on 10 other players to allow Brady to make the difference 50 times a game.

You keep referring to having all the "money" spent on 3 100+ rec. WR and depriving other areas. That is not the case though. Yes, this year they'd all be on the books but you might only have 2 of them on the field all season (Moss and Boldin). It is an uncapped year -- bite the bullet and pay both Moss and Boldin "top money." Welker is an all-pro, but doesn't have the contract of one at ~4 million.

You're argument is that it would deprive other areas of the team, like OLB and CB. To whom are young going to apply that 7 million dollars to? The guys like Peppers, Dansby, Rolle, etc. are all off the market. OLB and CB will likely be filled with cheaper vets and/or guys who want to win instead of make bank, like Jason Taylor or Buchanon or w/e. It will also be filled through the draft, which is very cost effective/cheap.

I'm not planning on making the team very WR heavy in terms of money. The thinking is Welker could possibly not see the field at all this season and may never regain his old form, Moss is aging and is in the final year of his deal. By adding Boldin, you are not only finding another big time WR to replace Welker's production for 2010, but you are adding a security blanket for when Moss leaves.

I think Moss' departure after 2010 is inevitable. If Welker is never the same, what do you have? A lesser version of Welker, Edelman, and Tate. That is not good enough. Now add Boldin to the mix. Moss at 10 million is gone, Boldin is now the highest paid WR at 7 million and has a year of experience/chemistry with Brady. If Welker is never the same, you have a lesser version of Welker, Boldin, Edelman, Tate. That's a pretty solid group.

Then, as talked about by many posters on this board, in the 2011 draft you can grab one of those studs (let's say AJ Green for example) at what will be a very efficient price under team control for the next few years with the new rookie cap. You have: Boldin as the highest paid WR at 7 million, Welker at his bargain price of 4.5 million, Green a promising game-breaker with that Randy-Moss-type impact at a cost & team controlled price, Edelman and Tate still on their rookie deals for cheap money. That's a great WR corps for Brady to work with. If Welker comes back and regains form, that corps is filthy.

As for the cap coming back in 2011:
The money attributed to the WR position actually comes DOWN from what it was in 2009. In 2009 you had the two maing guys: Moss at 10 million and Welker at 4 million, adding up to 14 million. Now you have the two main guys, Boldin at 7 and Welker at 4.5, adding up to a total of 11.5 million. You also have a stud WR with a game similar to Moss from the 1st round at a very efficient price. These moves actually lower the amount of money attributed to the WR position, so you can spend more freely on OLB, CB, DE, and other needs.

I don't understand how you are so opposed to that. It practically addresses everything. Lower the spending amount at WR (especially when the cap comes back), improve the depth at WR, give Brady a consistent WR corps with good weapons to work with for the next 3-5 years. Not to mention the fact that you are getting much tougher and physical with the presence of Boldin, something this team lacked.

I can understand you wanting to go back to what worked early in the decade when we won SB's, but the league has changed. As they've said many times on NFL Network and such: this has become a passing league. You need a QB and WR's. The league has gone from 60/40 base/nickel to 60/40 nickel/base.

The reason our offense was so terrible in the Ravens game is because we had HORRENDOUS depth at WR. It was a weakness all year long. We relied way too heavily on only two guys at WR, Moss and Welker. We missed a guy like Gaffney or Stallworth who was a very good #3 WR. Once Welker went down, you knew we were going to struggle offensively. Moss did nothing in that Ravens game, Aiken was the saddest excuse for a #3 WR I've seen in a while, and Edelman is good but nothing spectacular. If the Pats had Welker, the blitz beater, they probably would have won that game. It was even evident in the Jets game in week 2. No Welker, Moss taken out of the game and does nothing, Galloway not an adequate #3. You can't roll out there with Moss, Aiken, Edelman and expect to have a great passing day in the playoffs. That is why the addition of Boldin would have been so key. Moss, Boldin, Edelman, Tate, and hopefully Welker would be very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back