PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Josh Reed visiting Monday [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF this is BB's answer to the Jets signing Antonio Cromartie, let's just hand the division title over to them now.

Josh Reed opposite Moss isn't going to scare anyone. Let's get a real WR over there, enough of the 4th and 5th wrs.

Last edited:
I hope we sign him. This is a classic case of getting great value under the radar.
Boldin gets a huge contract because he gets thrown to a lot on a team with a good, pass heavy offense, and will absolutely underperform the #s that got him that deal, not to mention the significant injury risk. Reed has gone unnoticed on a team that can't find a QB who can play.
Reed, if he goes to a better offense, like the Pats will outproduce anything he ever has, and Boldin in Baltimore, or had he come here, will underproduce from all of his previous #s.
I would take Reed over Boldin with all things considered, including health, the money left over to spend on other positions, and the fact that this isn't one of our greatest needs (the #3/4 is a need, but filling it with a 1 or 2 is not)
Finally, if anyone saw Reeds final college game at LSU, that one game told me enough that I would sign him. He dominated the game, caught something like 15 passes, took a beating, and played harder than I have ever seen a WR play in a game.

IF this is BB's answer to the Jets signing Antonio Cromartie, let's just hand the division title over to them now.

Josh Reed opposite Moss isn't going to scare anyone. Let's get a real WR over there, enough of the 4th and 5th wrs.

Right, who cares if they can play, we need NAMES that fans of the other teams will recognize so that they think we got better. Thats all that matters right?

I hope we sign him. This is a classic case of getting great value under the radar.
Boldin gets a huge contract because he gets thrown to a lot on a team with a good, pass heavy offense, and will absolutely underperform the #s that got him that deal, not to mention the significant injury risk. Reed has gone unnoticed on a team that can't find a QB who can play.
Reed, if he goes to a better offense, like the Pats will outproduce anything he ever has, and Boldin in Baltimore, or had he come here, will underproduce from all of his previous #s.
I would take Reed over Boldin with all things considered, including health, the money left over to spend on other positions, and the fact that this isn't one of our greatest needs (the #3/4 is a need, but filling it with a 1 or 2 is not)
Finally, if anyone saw Reeds final college game at LSU, that one game told me enough that I would sign him. He dominated the game, caught something like 15 passes, took a beating, and played harder than I have ever seen a WR play in a game.

The only problem is, the Pats' offense is pass-happy, so he would have fit right in.

Right, who cares if they can play, we need NAMES that fans of the other teams will recognize so that they think we got better. Thats all that matters right?

Well it's not like Cromartie cost the Chargers a trip to the AFCCG or anything. Oh, wait...

Umm what? BB's answer?

kvetch kvetch kvetch

In those 3 years, Buffalo had a whopping 43 td passes total (or 7 less than Tom Brady had in 2007). Just sayin'...

So Reed caught about 1 out of every 14. How about 10 receiving td's in his 8 year career?

For the poster talking about Josh Reed's college career, the game you are referring to was nine years ago now. I am fine with Reed coming in and competing for the last spot at WR, but he does nothing to solve our issues at the position.

Reed would be a good #3 WR for this team. He is what the Pats usually look for in a WR (at least prior to Moss and Welker). I don't know if his production there is any indication of his talent. His skill set seems like a match for this team.

Reed is a poor man's Patriots era Deion Branch. In the Pats' system, he might have the potential to be a rich man's Patriots era Deion Branch. He runs great routes, has good hands, isquick instead of fast. When he was starting with the Bills prior to TO, he was able to get about the 600 yards range. With Brady, he could probably get 700-800 yards as a starter or 400-500 as a #3.

I say pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Re: Josh Reed - visiting NE tomorrow (per PFT)

I remember the play well, but it certainly isn't an accurate representation of his overall play. There's barely a receiver in the league who hasn't short-armed, or looked for a DB at one time or another. Josh Reed converts 3rd downs, goes over the middle, and blocks better than the majority of receivers. There's definitely room for that on the roster, imo.

Maybe you're right. I have seen him do it more than once however. I unfortunately get to watch the Bills every week with the Patriots on my Slingbox.

I'm all for it because after Moss and Edelman we have no one.

Here is what would upset me, however.

After the Patriots land a DE or OLB in the draft, if they start passing on WRs with our first 4 or 5 picks because they have Reed, I will be very pissed.

And I will not be buying the old idea that they have no faith in the WRs in the draft. Last year's 3rd and 4th round had a bunch of WRs with hardly a bust among them. Yes, Johnny Knox, Austin Collie, Mike Wallace were the stars, but in between you had guys like Deon Butler and Hartline who showed well.

They need to grab at least one WR in the first 4 picks, and then 1 more in the later picks.

BTW, I am all for signing Reed and then Mason. A receiving corp with Moss, Mason, Reed, and Edleman with Welker hopefully joining the mix at some point in the season and Tate possibly emerging could be one of the best receiving corps that Brady has ever had top to bottom.

Don't feed the trolls.

BTW, I am all for signing Reed and then Mason. A receiving corp with Moss, Mason, Reed, and Edleman with Welker hopefully joining the mix at some point in the season and Tate possibly emerging could be one of the best receiving corps that Brady has ever had top to bottom.

Exactly, if Reed is the #4 and Mason is brought in to be the #3, I agree, that's fine. Here's my issue though, I believe that BB is looking at Reed to be the #3 and start with Moss.

We don't know if the Pats are going to hire him. He's just coming in for a chat. I'm not going to assume he'll be a Patriot.

Reed is Jabar Gaffney. Not the answer opposite Moss, but neither was Gaffney. He would be a nice veteran presence to help out Brady until Welker gets right.

Lest we forget...the Pats drafted 2 WRs last year.

Exactly, if Reed is the #4 and Mason is brought in to be the #3, I agree, that's fine. Here's my issue though, I believe that BB is looking at Reed to be the #3 and start with Moss.

Why is Reed a bad thing at #3? I think he has the potential to be an excellent #3 WR. Brady has had worse #3 WRs and mounted good offenses. Reed was miscast in the Bills system and is a perfect fit for the Pats' system.

BTW, Mason had over 1,000 yards and 7 TDs last season. Why would he be relegated to a #3 WR? He would be an excellent #2 WR on this team at least until Welker returns.

Why is Reed a bad thing at #3? I think he has the potential to be an excellent #3 WR. Brady has had worse #3 WRs and mounted good offenses. Reed was miscast in the Bills system and is a perfect fit for the Pats' system.

BTW, Mason had over 1,000 yards and 7 TDs last season. Why would he be relegated to a #3 WR? He would be an excellent #2 WR on this team at least until Welker returns.

My post was stated with Welker being back.........

Last edited:
My post was said with Welker being back.........

At this point, you cannot assume Welker will be back this season. You can be hopeful. If Welker is back, Reed would still make a good #3 WR.

If they look ar Reed and not Mason it won't make any sense.

If Reed turns out to be good enough, he'll make the roster. If not, he won't. Why are people freaking out when we have no idea if he'll be asked to be the #3, #4, or #5 WR, or even camp fodder?

I still think Derrick Mason will be our #2.

Re: Josh Reed - visiting NE tomorrow (per PFT)

Maybe you're right. I have seen him do it more than once however. I unfortunately get to watch the Bills every week with the Patriots on my Slingbox.

I'm all for it because after Moss and Edelman we have no one.

Here is what would upset me, however.

After the Patriots land a DE or OLB in the draft, if they start passing on WRs with our first 4 or 5 picks because they have Reed, I will be very pissed.

And I will not be buying the old idea that they have no faith in the WRs in the draft. Last year's 3rd and 4th round had a bunch of WRs with hardly a bust among them. Yes, Johnny Knox, Austin Collie, Mike Wallace were the stars, but in between you had guys like Deon Butler and Hartline who showed well.

They need to grab at least one WR in the first 4 picks, and then 1 more in the later picks.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting Reed is the sole solution to the WR need (barring a trade I don't see anyone out there who IS), but I definitely think he could play a role.

So much depends on how they see Edelman and Tate progressing. Is Edelman ready to be a 3rd option?

I would just about be comfortable going in with Moss, Reed, Edelman, Tate, Aiken, early draft pick. Just about. Throw Mason in there instead of a draft pick and I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots