PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Josh Reed visiting Monday [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure. Don't see there being many downsides to this acquisition. Hopefully it happens. He ain't a boldin, but then there weren't many out there on FA anyway

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan...I know, I know...hold your applause down until later.

I've seen every game Josh Reed has played in the NFL. He's turned into a pretty good player on a pretty bad team. The thing that non-Bills fans overlook about him (if they ever think about him at all) is his ability to block. He is a hell of a blocker. IMO, he is strictly to be played in the slot. He has good hands, but that wasn't always the case. When he first came to Buffalo, he used to drop passes all the time. He got over that and has consistently converted third downs in the past many years...that's kind of his MO, converting third downs.

I think that he could be a VERY good player on your team if given the opportunity. With Tom Brady throwing behind your line, I think you'll see a different player entirely. He was a hell of a player in college and won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's best receiver. He was picked very high in the second round and still has some fire in the stove.

He'd be great for depth at the very least. He's good for some plays for sure.

Thanks for the scouting report.

I recall when Reed dropped a lot of passes. A 3rd down guy is just what NE needs. I wonder if Reed would move to the Slot and Edelman to the outside?

And you get what you pay for.

Yes you do, but you cant build a team full of 7million dollar players.
Spending 7 mill at the WR position in addition to Moss and Welker is foolish IMO. We aren'tn trying to build a fantasy football team, or play Madden.
There are 20 other positions on the field not called WR that we need to spend money on, and aside from a popular fan scapegoating phenomena, WR is not anywhere near the weakest spot among them.

Spending 7 mill at the WR position in addition to Moss and Welker is foolish IMO. We aren'tn trying to build a fantasy football team, or play Madden.
There are 20 other positions on the field not called WR that we need to spend money on, and aside from a popular fan scapegoating phenomena, WR is not anywhere near the weakest spot among them.

WR was clearly among the very weakest spots on the team last season, even with Welker healthy. The dropoff to WR3 was simply that significant.

Last edited:
I wonder if he's smart?
Lord knows there are alot of fast guys that can't play WR to save their lives.

For sure. Don't see there being many downsides to this acquisition. Hopefully it happens. He ain't a boldin, but then there weren't many out there on FA anyway

The last time we had a vertical down the field threat to pair opposite Moss was Stallworth. But that really didn't work out.

Josh Reed is built almost like a tailback. He's perfect for the short to intermediate passing game. I wanted the Pats to draft Josh Reed when he was a rookie.

Josh Reed is built almost like a tailback. He's perfect for the short to intermediate passing game. I wanted the Pats to draft Josh Reed when he was a rookie.

Bring back the smurfs!
Welker-The Tates-Edelman-Reed FTW

To even put Boldin in the same sentence with Josh Reed is an insult to his abilities. Obviously you can't build a team of 7 million dollar players. That is why the Pats pulled out, b/c they did not want to have to offer up a nice extension to Boldin. Why not just suck it up and pay out in an uncapped 2010?

The concern of the fans is that Welker is no guarantee to play this season or to ever be the same. Suppose he has a setback. Suppose the knee is just never right again. It's the worst possible injury that a guy like Welker, who relies so much quick cuts and stopping on a dime, can have.

To say that WR isn't a big need is ridiculous. How do you know for sure Welker will ever be the same? Even if he is, how likely is he to be back to his old self this season? We've seen people who rely on explosion like Umenyoria and Merriman struggle a good amount after ACL. We saw Brady struggle off ACL surgery.

The Pats need another legitimate playmaker at WR. Moss isn't getting any younger and is gone after 2010, Welker's future at least for this year is up in the air, Edelman is a nice slot WR, and Tate is a nice guy with promise and upside to have. Yes, you can address WR in a cost effective way through the draft after the 1st round, but how many times does a rookie WR come to the Pats and make an immediate impact? Edelman was the exception, not the rule, due to the Pats complex offense.

Adding a guy like Boldin and extending him would've made for a dynamic duo with Moss. Edelman can slide in and fill slot duties, which he's been great at, and Tate can be that #4 WR with some great upside. At that point, you don't even have to hope/pray that Welker will come back and be the savior at some point during the season. If he does, then that's outstanding and the WR depth is even stronger.

If he proves and shows signs of being the same player he was pre-injury, then you can feel safe letting Moss walk out the door after 2010. You have Boldin, still in his prime with a year of chemistry under his belt with Brady, Welker, Edelman, Tate. You can always use a first on on of the "Fab Four" in 2011 if you feel the need to.

If Welker does not appear to be the same player, and Moss is shown the door, at least you have something to work with in Boldin, Edelman, and Tate. You can use one of your first rounders to grab on of the "Fab Four" WR in 2011 to add another big-time threat at what is likely to be a cost-controlled price with the good chance that there is a rookie cap.

The point is, either way, Boldin set you up with some security for the next 3-4 years. He gave you a legitimate guy who is one of the better WR's in the league and is tough as nails. With the futures of Welker and Moss uncertain past 2010, you have a rock in Boldin who you can build around. Josh Reed doesn't offer you any of that. He is another JAG who you are depending on to come in a exceed his performances of the last 5 years. He is not even in the same ballpark as Boldin. Boldin has shown what he can do over the past 5 years. I'm not talking about stats either. I'm talking about watching the two guys play. To suggest that Reed is close to Boldin in some capacity is really insane. When you watch a game, you know and feel that Boldin is a threat and can make a big play anytime. Do you get the same feeling when you watch Reed? I certainly do not.

I'll take a one-legged Deion Branch or a five-toed Laveranues Coles. ;)

To even put Boldin in the same sentence with Josh Reed is an insult to his abilities. Obviously you can't build a team of 7 million dollar players. That is why the Pats pulled out, b/c they did not want to have to offer up a nice extension to Boldin. Why not just suck it up and pay out in an uncapped 2010?

The concern of the fans is that Welker is no guarantee to play this season or to ever be the same. Suppose he has a setback. Suppose the knee is just never right again. It's the worst possible injury that a guy like Welker, who relies so much quick cuts and stopping on a dime, can have.

To say that WR isn't a big need is ridiculous. How do you know for sure Welker will ever be the same? Even if he is, how likely is he to be back to his old self this season? We've seen people who rely on explosion like Umenyoria and Merriman struggle a good amount after ACL. We saw Brady struggle off ACL surgery.

The Pats need another legitimate playmaker at WR. Moss isn't getting any younger and is gone after 2010, Welker's future at least for this year is up in the air, Edelman is a nice slot WR, and Tate is a nice guy with promise and upside to have. Yes, you can address WR in a cost effective way through the draft after the 1st round, but how many times does a rookie WR come to the Pats and make an immediate impact? Edelman was the exception, not the rule, due to the Pats complex offense.

Adding a guy like Boldin and extending him would've made for a dynamic duo with Moss. Edelman can slide in and fill slot duties, which he's been great at, and Tate can be that #4 WR with some great upside. At that point, you don't even have to hope/pray that Welker will come back and be the savior at some point during the season. If he does, then that's outstanding and the WR depth is even stronger.

If he proves and shows signs of being the same player he was pre-injury, then you can feel safe letting Moss walk out the door after 2010. You have Boldin, still in his prime with a year of chemistry under his belt with Brady, Welker, Edelman, Tate. You can always use a first on on of the "Fab Four" in 2011 if you feel the need to.

If Welker does not appear to be the same player, and Moss is shown the door, at least you have something to work with in Boldin, Edelman, and Tate. You can use one of your first rounders to grab on of the "Fab Four" WR in 2011 to add another big-time threat at what is likely to be a cost-controlled price with the good chance that there is a rookie cap.

The point is, either way, Boldin set you up with some security for the next 3-4 years. He gave you a legitimate guy who is one of the better WR's in the league and is tough as nails. With the futures of Welker and Moss uncertain past 2010, you have a rock in Boldin who you can build around. Josh Reed doesn't offer you any of that. He is another JAG who you are depending on to come in a exceed his performances of the last 5 years. He is not even in the same ballpark as Boldin. Boldin has shown what he can do over the past 5 years. I'm not talking about stats either. I'm talking about watching the two guys play. To suggest that Reed is close to Boldin in some capacity is really insane. When you watch a game, you know and feel that Boldin is a threat and can make a big play anytime. Do you get the same feeling when you watch Reed? I certainly do not.

In 2007, it was Welker who?

Next time consider a few things:

Money not committed to Boldin may mean a Moss contract extension is being budgeted.

A Boldin "his prime" does not continually miss games because of ankle and hamstring injuries. Has he been big time in the playoffs?

How do you get to no future with two rookie WR's in 2009?

How good is Boldin without Fitzgerald? Without a real QB? How good is Reed if he had a QB?

Your logic is perfect if there were unlimited money available. You sound like the guy on a 40,000 a year income wishing he could live like a CEO.
You yourself list NUMEROUS possiblities at the WR position.
You just cannot have absolute certainty at every position. As much as you would like it its foolhardy when you have 2 allpro WRs to spend what it takes to get a 3rd, just in case Welker isnt the same. If he isnt then we bite that bullet, we dont ignore other needs to hav too much talent at one position just in case. If he isnt ready, we have Edleman (who everyone on this board was calling WW Jr until they thought we could get a guy with a name) Tate, the draft, and guys like Reed to fill that bill.
We won ALL of our SBs with worse WR corps than the one we will have next year with a guy like Reed, a rookie and no Welker.

You have to realize that every penny spent at WR is a penny that cant be spent on real problems.
I am perfectly happy with us retunring to a 2003-2006 type offense with balance that doesnt require 2 (and according to fans 3) WRs playing like Hall of Famers, and using the moeny available to shore up the D. We already have the offense we need less a few minor acquisitions (decent WR and some TEs).
Signing Bolden for that ridiculous money would have made him our 4th highest paid player. Aside from Thomas, the other top 3 would have been QB and 2 WRs while the 7th highest paid is Welker.
Do you really think the right way to build a team is to have 3 WRs in the top 7 of your cap? I don't.

None of this even includes the fact that Bolden is damaged goods and is overrated from stats padded by the system he plays in.
I'm saying if Bolden were as good as the perception he isn't worth that price TO THE PATS, and he isnt close to as good as the perception, when you also factor in his injury history, likelihood of future injuries and propensity to miss big games.

WR was clearly among the very weakest spots on the team last season, even with Welker healthy. The dropoff to WR3 was simply that significant.

I totally disaree. That is simply scapegoating. We had the best 1-2 in the NFL. There are many, many positions more important than the 3rd WR behind the best 1-2 in the NFL.
If WR was clearly one of the weakest spots on the team, how do you explain that our offensive passing game was much more efficient and better comparatively to the rest of the NFL than our offensive running game, defensive running game, or defensive passing game?
Are you disputing the thing we were best at was offensive passing?
Are you disouting that the WRs had an above average % of the catches?
Are you giving credit to the nonpdescript TE and RB receiving efforts?

I'm saying if Bolden were as good as the perception he isn't worth that price TO THE PATS, and he isnt close to as good as the perception, when you also factor in his injury history, likelihood of future injuries and propensity to miss big games.

Thank you

Bodden is decent but lets not get crazy here. If the Raiders release Asomugha, I'd prefer him over Bodden.

I totally disaree. That is simply scapegoating. We had the best 1-2 in the NFL. There are many, many positions more important than the 3rd WR behind the best 1-2 in the NFL.
If WR was clearly one of the weakest spots on the team, how do you explain that our offensive passing game was much more efficient and better comparatively to the rest of the NFL than our offensive running game, defensive running game, or defensive passing game?
Are you disputing the thing we were best at was offensive passing?
Are you disouting that the WRs had an above average % of the catches?
Are you giving credit to the nonpdescript TE and RB receiving efforts?

I know you totally disagree. You nearly always do when someone points out a problem with the team. How the Patriots don't go 19-0 every single season when they've never yet made a mistake in your estimation is something for scientists to ponder.

Pretty much everyone else in the world realized the problem at WR, though. BB himself saw it prior to the season, bringing in several receivers and drafting another.

By the way, Reed is the first player to be publicly going to the team for a visit. What position does he play, and why is he #1 on the visiting list if that position wasn't a problem?

Last edited:
Your logic is perfect if there were unlimited money available. You sound like the guy on a 40,000 a year income wishing he could live like a CEO.
You yourself list NUMEROUS possiblities at the WR position.
You just cannot have absolute certainty at every position. As much as you would like it its foolhardy when you have 2 allpro WRs to spend what it takes to get a 3rd, just in case Welker isnt the same. If he isnt then we bite that bullet, we dont ignore other needs to hav too much talent at one position just in case. If he isnt ready, we have Edleman (who everyone on this board was calling WW Jr until they thought we could get a guy with a name) Tate, the draft, and guys like Reed to fill that bill.
We won ALL of our SBs with worse WR corps than the one we will have next year with a guy like Reed, a rookie and no Welker.

You have to realize that every penny spent at WR is a penny that cant be spent on real problems.
I am perfectly happy with us retunring to a 2003-2006 type offense with balance that doesnt require 2 (and according to fans 3) WRs playing like Hall of Famers, and using the moeny available to shore up the D. We already have the offense we need less a few minor acquisitions (decent WR and some TEs).
Signing Bolden for that ridiculous money would have made him our 4th highest paid player. Aside from Thomas, the other top 3 would have been QB and 2 WRs while the 7th highest paid is Welker.
Do you really think the right way to build a team is to have 3 WRs in the top 7 of your cap? I don't.

None of this even includes the fact that Bolden is damaged goods and is overrated from stats padded by the system he plays in.

We drafted well in first half of the decade, barring a few whiffs

We had pathetic draft results from 2006, 2007, 2008 class. Players drafted those years should have been the core of this team now or providing solid depth. That, unfortunately, is not the case. Whether it is change in player draft strategy or inability to coach up young players is all debateable. In the end, the results are what they are.

2009 draft class shows some promise.

2010 & then 2011 draft are absolutely critical for Pats. If they blow this one(2010), then mediocrity for many years. Now 2009 and 2010 class will be the core moving forward.

I know you totally disagree. You nearly always do when someone points out a problem with the team. How the Patriots don't go 19-0 every single season when they've never yet made a mistake in your estimation is something for scientists to ponder.

Pretty much everyone else in the world realized the problem at WR, though. BB himself saw it prior to the season, bringing in several receivers and drafting another.

By the way, Reed is the first player to be publicly going to the team for a visit. What position does he play, and why is he #1 on the visiting list if that position wasn't a problem?

Good comeback.

WR is a huge, huge problem on this team. Period.

Josh Reed would not have been my first choice for an invite, but he's automatically better than Aiken, Stanback & Slater, none of whom deserve to belong on a roster of an NFL team with championship aspirations.

Broken record.

Good comeback.

WR is a huge, huge problem on this team. Period.

Josh Reed would not have been my first choice for an invite, but he's automatically better than Aiken, Stanback & Slater, none of whom deserve to belong on a roster of an NFL team with championship aspirations.

DEPTH at WR is an issue.
Filling that DEPTH with the most costly player out there (Bolden) is foolhardy.
Having outstanding starters and questionable depth is better than the majority of the positions on the roster. That does not make it one of the weakest areas on the team.
Were we stronger at:
G,C,TE,RB,OLB,ILB,DE,CB,S than we were at WR last season? Did we really have players better than Moss and Welker complimented by players better than Edleman with Aiken as the last man on the bench at those positions?
The only position we were clearly better was QB and the only one that are arguable are OT and NT.
How does that add up to WR being one of our weakest positions?
Which ones were stronger?

Irony......... writ large

"homer........homer.......homer......homer.........homer.........kick....I'm the only objective posted on this board" Is it a 45 or a 33 1/3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back