PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: If Seymour doesn't report, Raiders will want their pick back

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL Offices would never allow that. It would be suicide for the league to set that precedent of a player vetoing a trade and choosing his team while he is under his current contract.

I agree 100%. Allowing this means that every valuable player in the league now has total veto power over trades. No dice.

Seymour has a contract. The Patriots would have no choice.

A contract that he would have BROKEN by not following its terms by not obeying an NFL sanctioned trade.

He'd have to go to the Supreme Court to overturn the CBA. He ain't Curt Flood and this isn't the 1960's.

How hard is that to understand? Unfortunately, this kind of lack of understanding is prevalent in the newspapers of Boston, what with baseball-oriented, NFL-neophyte commentators like Mazarotti and Shaughnessy spreading their ignorance around.

This isn't MLB. How long have you followed the NFL?

Last edited:
Actually, he can just not show up. The Raiders will void the deal rather than putting him on the NFI list, and he'll revert back to the Patriots.

No need to retire.

I don't believe they can do that. The only thing that can void the deal is him failing a physical. And I don't think not taking a physical because of a failure to show up constitutes a failed physical. According to Lombardi and a few others the trade has been made and approved by the league. He is on the 53 man roster and he counts against Oaklands cap. His salary has been removed from our books.

It would be Oakland sending the infamous 5 day letter and this entire mess is their problem. Bill said it himself yesterday, the Patriots don't have the rights to the player. He is an Oakland Raider whether he likes it or not.

He has three choices:

1. Go and play
2. not show up and get put on the reserve list and do this all again next year.
3. Retire.

None of those bring him back to New England. Players can't just refuse a trade (unless of course the have a no trade clause)

A contract that he would have BROKEN by not following its terms by not obeying an NFL sanctioned trade.

He'd have to go to the Supreme Court to overturn the CBA. He ain't Curt Flood and this isn't the 1960's.

How hard is that to understand? Unfortunately, this kind of lack of understanding is prevalent in the newspapers of Boston, what with baseball-oriented, NFL-neophyte commentators like Mazarotti and Shaughnessy spreading their ignorance around.

This isn't MLB. How long have you followed the NFL?

From what I've read and heard, the remedy for his 'breaking' the contract is in the hands of the Raiders. From what has been the most often noted way this works:

No final deal until he takes his physical
If he fails to show up, the Raiders can either place him on the NFI list or take back their first, which would void the deal.

The Patriots have no remedy there. If you have other information that runs counter to that, please feel free to impart that wisdom. If you don't, calling others ignorant is probably not the way you want to go.

Last edited:
Actually, he can just not show up. The Raiders will void the deal rather than putting him on the NFI list, and he'll revert back to the Patriots.

No need to retire.

I don't believe they can do that. They acquired the "rights" to him. If the deal was contingent upon passing a physical then the league would be in a holding pattern. This is not the case the league has already approved the deal, meaning Oakland owns him.

According to Lombardi and a few others, the trade has been made and approved by the league. He is on the 53 man roster and he counts against Oaklands cap. His salary has been removed from our books.

It would be Oakland sending the infamous 5 day letter and this entire mess is their problem. Bill said it himself yesterday, the Patriots don't have the rights to the player. He is an Oakland Raider whether he likes it or not.

He has three choices:

1. Go and play
2. not show up and get put on the reserve list and do this all again next year.
3. Retire.

None of those bring him back to New England. Players can't just refuse a trade (unless of course the have a no trade clause) and say I'm not going I'm staying.

From what I've read and heard, the remedy for his 'breaking' the contract is in the hands of the Raiders. From what has been the most often noted way this works:

If he fails to show up, the Raiders can either place him on the NFI list or take back their first, which would void the deal.

The Patriots have no remedy there. If you have other information that runs counter to that, please feel free to impart that wisdom. If you don't, calling others ignorant is probably not the way you want to go.

Ah......

YOU said he would come back to the Patriots. I replied THAT ain't happening (unless of course he accepts a VERY cap friendly new contract with the Pats).

Who's moving goalposts now?

And, btw, YES, Mazarotti and Shaughnessy are ignorant vis-a-vis the NFL. They are baseball writers who are forced to do double duty by their cash-strapped newspapers.

Last edited:

I could be wrong, but I don't beleive that the Raiders can take back the first unless Seymour FAILS the physical.

Just not showing up gives them the right to place him on a reserve list, but the trade is near final, barring a Seymour injury.

both Shefter and Lombardi have said its pretty much out of the Pats hands. But considering the pats would probaly want to trade with other teams again they may want to work something out.

Ah......

YOU said he would come back to the Patriots. I replied THAT ain't happening (unless of course he accepts a VERY cap friendly new contract with the Pats).

Who's moving goalposts now?

And, btw, YES, Mazarotti and Shaughnessy are ignorant vis-a-vis the NFL. They are baseball writers who are forced to do double duty by their cash-strapped newspapers.

No goalpost has been moved. If the trade is voided, Seymour goes back to the Patriots with his old contract still in place.

Again, do you have information that says otherwise?

No goalpost has been moved. If the trade is voided, Seymour goes back to the Patriots with his old contract still in place.

Again, do you have information that says otherwise?

OK, Deus.

Keep believing that his refusal to honor the trade allows him to keep his contract with the Patriots.

There, there.

OK, Deus.

Keep believing that his refusal to honor the trade allows him to keep his contract with the Patriots.

There, there.

Shmessy, do you have information to the contrary, or are you just commenting in ignorance?

OK, Deus.

There, there.
Right, that's what "No Trade Clauses" are for. Without one . . . he can be traded.

Wow! Just wow!

i have a hard time beleiving this. eugene parker is trying to garner sympathy and make the pats look like the dishonest guys. breer said two daya ago that pats had decided not to hand out big deals until next yr.and then warren saying that seymour knew this was coming.

i have a hard time beleiving this. eugene parker is trying to garner sympathy and make the pats look like the dishonest guys. breer said two daya ago that pats had decided not to hand out big deals until next yr.and then warren saying that seymour knew this was coming.

Hey, didn't you hear the news from Deus? Seymour is voiding the trade and deciding to stay here with Patriots!

Come on guys, this is just more Florio speculation and it needs to be limited to existing threads because his opinion doesn't warrant it's own threads. If the league or Oakland or NE or Seymour or his agent has something to add that would warrant a new thread. Otherwise it's just more musing...

+1 and the ten chars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back