PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: If Seymour doesn't report, Raiders will want their pick back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if he refuses to undergo a physical which is undoubtedly part of the deal in order for the trade to be consumated, then I do believe the Raiders can choose to back out of it rather than be forced to trade for a player that they cannot verify is healthy.

No they cant, at that point the league would have to step in and make a ruling.

Wrong.

It voids the trade.

It doesn't return everything to the way it was on September 5th if the reason for the void is Seymour refusal to report, which is what you argued in post #14.

And where did you find this information?

Please, kindly share it with us all.

What stops him from reporting, and faking an injury or exaggerating an existing condition to fail the physical?

The Pats could demand to see how he failed the physical and could file a grievance with the league if there is nothing there.

Steeler fan here.

This has been pretty interesting.

I can't believe the Pats were able to pull it off in the first place. Except it seems like you are stiffing your farm team.

As someone who really gets sick of insane contracts for players, I find this a hilarious and just return for an "only in it for the money" player. The icing on the cake is that it is Eugene Parker's client.

Time for the Raiders to get off their ass and send the letter to Seymour.

Last edited:
give him the 5 day letter........after that, bury him in a kitty litter box until next year.........

I just read somewhere that the CBA does not specify when Seymour

has to report. I guess that so long as he wants to lose money, he

can stay away. This sems to be in conflict with the 5 day thing.

It's not about precedent, it's about what the rules are. That's why I asked our moderator if he had other information, but he didn't offer any.

Clearly, there is confusion on this point. I'm trying to contact the league for clarification, but they've not been able to connect me to someone who can give me a definitive answer yet. I'm on hold and will post follow up info.

Follow up: I had to leave a message. If the person returns my call, I'll gladly post whatever information I get on the subject.

You can just email Greg Aiello, [email protected], the NFL VP of Public Relations. I've emailed him in the past with questions and he always responds, usually pretty quickly.

BTW, the trade has gone through, pending his physical. Until a physical takes place, he is on the Raiders. I doubt the league wants players to just void trades by not showing up, so this will eventually get resolved by Seymour reporting (IMO). He is a Raider.

Last edited:
When you want to trade for a guy, don't you try to get an idea of if he wants to play for you? I personally wouldn't want a player who didn't want to be on my team, nor give up a 1st rounder in the process.

Oakland are f'kin dumb.

When you want to trade for a guy, don't you try to get an idea of if he wants to play for you? I personally wouldn't want a player who didn't want to be on my team, nor give up a 1st rounder in the process.

Oakland are f'kin dumb.

They can't just call him, pre trade. That's tampering.

You can just email Greg Aiello, [email protected], the NFL VP of Public Relations. I've emailed him in the past with questions and he always responds, usually pretty quickly.

BTW, the trade has gone through, pending his physical. Until a physical takes place, he is on the Raiders. I doubt the league wants players to just void trades by not showing up, so this will eventually get resolved by Seymour reporting (IMO). He is a Raider.

I've usually gotten quicker results by calling. This is the first time they didn't have anyone actually in the offices who could answer my question. I'm waiting on a call back.

Of course, I wouldn't have to wait if Smessy would just be so kind as to provide his source material for his claims.

I just read somewhere that the CBA does not specify when Seymour

has to report. I guess that so long as he wants to lose money, he

can stay away. This sems to be in conflict with the 5 day thing.

The information being given out on this is all over the place. What I've heard was that until Seymour receives his 5 day letter and that time tolls, he has to get paid, and that the Patriots have to pay him since the deal has not been finalized. The league should probably issue a statement clarifying its position on all the permutations. Then any of the 3 parties who disagrees can prepare an appeal/grievance if necessary and things can move along faster.

They can't just call him, pre trade. That's tampering.

I didn't say that. It's pro sports and people talk, tampering goes on all the time in every sport and will continue to do so until man loses that hole under his nose.

Watch Oakland and Al do a three way trade and now deal Seymours rights to the Jets for a 3rd all while giving up a first to NE - I can see a losing organization like that doing this if they can't get Richard to play near the bay

The information being given out on this is all over the place. What I've heard was that until Seymour receives his 5 day letter and that time tolls, he has to get paid, and that the Patriots have to pay him since the deal has not been finalized. The league should probably issue a statement clarifying its position on all the permutations. Then any of the 3 parties who disagrees can prepare an appeal/grievance if necessary and things can move along faster.

There is a discrepancy here.
If the papers are in and the league approved the deal, is it not finalized?
If Seymour were to fail his physical the remedy is to VOID the trade. You cannot VOID something that isnt finalized.
It would seem that either he is being paid by the Raiders (or not paid because he is AWOL) or the the VOID clause that you are wrapped around is not accurate. It cant be both.

That is not accurate. He already is on Oakland's 53 man roster and officially counts agains their cap. This has been reported by Schefter, Lombardi and others. He is listed on their official roster on both NFL.com and raiders.com. Also, he is officially listed as a Raider by the players association.

NFL Players Association

The only thing that can change that is a failed physical. Again, failure to report does not constitute a failed physical.

Last edited:
There is a discrepancy here.
If the papers are in and the league approved the deal, is it not finalized?
If Seymour were to fail his physical the remedy is to VOID the trade. You cannot VOID something that isnt finalized.
It would seem that either he is being paid by the Raiders (or not paid because he is AWOL) or the the VOID clause that you are wrapped around is not accurate. It cant be both.

Exactly. My assumption is that he has already passed the physical. Could it have been conducted in New England? Not sure but that would explain the trade being approved by the league.

My assumption is that the Pats DID NOT allow the Raiders to speak with Seymour prior to consummating the deal. Some teams let that happen (so the framework of a long term deal can be discussed) but that doesn't seem to have happened but not sure.

This from the comment thread: RAIDERS / Ex-Pat Seymour has yet to report

It basically says it's the Raiders' problem, not the Pats'

So what happens if Seymour refuses to report? It depends on the terms of the trade, which usually are contingent on the player reporting and passing a physical.

According to an NFL spokesman, the team could send him a five-day notice letter saying it may place him on the reserved/left squad list. If the Raiders choose to put Seymour player on that list, he cannot play in the 2009 season.

Now Big O with Curren on says that Florio is hearing that the problem is Richard was led to believe (by his agent...) that he was in negotiations on a retirement deal with NE... So he's throwing Eugene under the bus for the whole debaucle... This is what I opined before, a player who overplayed his hand all along and somehow still thought the team would extend him...

Curren says the league told him the contract has been traded and this is on the Oakland to get him to report. Oakland apparently interprets it different than the league.

Curren says the league will likely have to get involved and someone eventually will have to send him the 5 day letter if they haven't already.

Anything beyond that is just guys speculating on how this can be handled and by whom...mostly because it hasn't happened in forever...because players report to get their money.

I started a thread earlier today to try and get this resolved, having the same questions. Several people responded who had gotten their information from people who knew the contract rules, and were clear:

-if a 5 day letter is to be sent to Seymour, it is sent by Oakland, as they currently own his contract.

-the system is set up to assume that a player will pass the physical, so all of the ownership lies with the team that traded for the player.

-If anyone has to pay Seymour anything, it will be the Raiders, unless he fails a physical. If he doesn't show up for a physical, the rules assume that he will pass it when he does, and thus Oakland owns the contract.

For what it's worth....

seys.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back