PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: If Seymour doesn't report, Raiders will want their pick back

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I see,Richard is a guy who does not LOVE the game of football but more of working like any man at his job and which he is good at.

... based on what?

I suspect that you would perceive that Sey loves the game a lot more if he wern't playing Boston. He wouldn't be the first Boston althlete that felt that way.

I suspect that he would be a much happier camper in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Carolina or Dallas.

I really think Seymour could surprise everyone and retire

God knows he has the money to do so and yet still have a great post career out of football.

From what I see,Richard is a guy who does not LOVE the game of football but more of working like any man at his job and which he is good at.

There is a difference between guys like Brady and Bruschi who LOVE the game and guys like Seymour who are in it simply for a good paying job that they excell at - -I may get flamed for this but I truly think he is in the NFL for the money,he just happens to be better at his job than most of his profession.

I believe that Richard has a Batchelor's Degree in Real Estate at Georgia,that line of work would be just fine with pay.

... based on what?

I just think that a guy who loves the game will stop whining and go out there and play the game he loves and give it his all no matter where he goes or how bad the team is.

To me being a player who loves the game will do whatever he can to make the team better no matter whether they stink or not,Richard needs to put the pacifier down and b a role model to the younger guys in Oakland who dont know what winning is all about,It looks like he could care less about something like that from what I see of this holdout.

If the Raiders offered him 10 Million this year alone to play instead of the same pay scale like he would have in NE,he would already be wearing the Black and Silver - Its been all about the money for Richard all these years and I am not just saying that because he is gone from NE.

If Richard had winning more on his mind than big bucks,I guarantee that #93 is wearing Blue and Silver this MNF game.

Just my opinion and I am sure some disagree with mine but it is what it is.

Bruschi and Brady are two very rare and special exceptions in this league who would probably not only take less just to win but play anywhere they were sent to and play hard to make that team better.

Last edited:
By this standard the patriots probably have exactly zero players who love the game, with the possible exception of Brady. Bruschi would also have qualified.

The fact is that football is a business. The players are workers. The coaches are part of management. And the owners are the bosses.

Anyone who doesn't understand this is likely to be very unhappy as a professional football player.

I just think that a guy who loves the game will stop whining and go out there and play the game he loves and give it his all no matter where he goes or how bad the team is.

To me being a player who loves the game will do whatever he can to make the team better no matter whether they stink or not,Richard needs to put the pacifier go west and become a role model to the younger guys in Oakland who dont know what winning is all about,It looks like he could care less about something like that from what I see of this holdout.

If the Raiders offered him 10 Million this year alone to play instead of the same pay scale like he would have in NE,he would already be wearing the Black and Silver - Its been all about the money for Richard all these years and I am not just saying that because he is gone from NE.

Bruschi and Brady are two very rare and special exceptions in this league who would probably not only take less just to win but play anywhere they were sent to and play hard to make that team better.

I suspect that you would perceive that Sey loves the game a lot more if he wern't playing Boston. He wouldn't be the first Boston althlete that felt that way.

I suspect that he would be a much happier camper in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Carolina or Dallas.

Yeah, he seems so happy with the trade to get out of New England!

He's thanking Eugene Parker from the bottom of his heart.

He's pi$$ed off at being traded at the last minute. He already knew he was leaving. He thought it was after the season. Since nothing has happened for most of the off-season, he thought that he could deal with this craziness next year.

Yeah, he seems so happy with the trade to get out of New England!

He's thanking Eugene Parker from the bottom of his heart.

seymour won't retire

a few things are important - (1) seymour can't just pull 'a favre'. the jets were stupid for letting him of the retirement/reserve list. bb would never do that (i don't know about Davis). (2) forget the money. Seymour is close to HOF credentials, but not a lock yet. He needs two or three more years to have a strong case for the hall. What I think is interesting is that the raiders actually have a half decent defense. it's their offense that's in shambles. I think Seymour could put up some decent numbers in Oakland. he already has the rings.

He's pi$$ed off at being traded at the last minute. He already knew he was leaving. He thought it was after the season. Since nothing has happened for most of the off-season, he thought that he could deal with this craziness next year.

I think the Patriots FO was tired of the BS and the media frenzy almost every year..first it was Law,Then Seymour,Then Branch,then Asante (not negotiating a little harder with Samuel was the biggest mistake IMO) - I just think Kraft and Company are tired with this crap every year only to see the player leave,They knew there was no chance in hell that BOTH Wilfork or Seymour was going to play for less for the 'goodness' of the team so they got rid of one player early for decent compensation and only have to deal with one next year (Mankins and Gostkowski could be problematic too but I don't see earth shattering dollars wanted there)

I still say that if some of you think just because Seymour will not be in negotiations next season that Wilfork will get what he wants you will be dissapointed - Seymour or no Seymour this team most likely already knows what the ceiling will be for paying Wilfork and if he does not accept it - Sionara

Somewhere in the numerous Seymour threads were the recent media comments that Seymour believed a new contract was being negotiated, and that the shock/surprise was enhanced because of this.

Unlikely it would occur, but is it possible his agent could use this rule to establish lack of good faith in negotiations?-

From Article 14 of the NFL Players Contract:

NFL Players Association

Section 8. Good Faith Negotiation:
(a) In addition to complying with specific provisions in this Agreement, any Club or player engaged in negotiations for a Player Contract (including any Club extending, and any player receiving, a Required Tender) is under an obligation to negotiate in good faith.
(b) A Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.
It shall be deemed to be a violation of this provision if, while the tender is outstanding, a Club insists that such a player agree to a Player Contract at a compensation level during the upcoming season below that of the Required Tender amount. The foregoing shall not affect any rights that a Club may have under the Player Contract, under this Agreement, or under the Settlement Agreement, including but not limited to the right to terminate the contract, renegotiate the contract, or to trade the player if such termination, renegotiation, or trade is otherwise permitted by the Player Contract, this Agreement, or the Settlement Agreement.

Last edited:
I pray that he does report.

Hopefully if he doesn't by today someone will issue him the 5 day notice. The longer he is allowed to pout the more danger I feel this awesome trade is in.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the numerous Seymour threads were the recent media comments that Seymour believed a new contract was being negotiated, and that the shock/surprise was enhanced because of this.

Unlikely it would occur, but is it possible his agent could use this rule to establish lack of good faith in negotiations?-

From Article 14 of the NFL Players Contract:

He could have been lied to by his agent also. His agent could have been lying about progress in a deal. He seems to want a lot more than the Pats would have offered. If his agent mislead him, the fallout would be interesting.

I would love to know what really was going on!

He could have been lied to by his agent also. His agent could have been lying about progress in a deal. He seems to want a lot more than the Pats would have offered. If his agent mislead him, the fallout would be interesting.

I would love to know what really was going on!

It would be interesting if his agent did do that. It would be pretty screwed up if it was established the Pats were negotiating an extension, and somehow the trade violated that passage in Article 14.

Probably nothing I would wager. But it made for a curious read.

To me being a player who loves the game will do whatever he can to make the team better no matter whether they stink or not,Richard needs to put the pacifier down and b a role model to the younger guys in Oakland who dont know what winning is all about,It looks like he could care less about something like that from what I see of this holdout.

If Richard had winning more on his mind than big bucks,I guarantee that #93 is wearing Blue and Silver this MNF game.

Just my opinion and I am sure some disagree with mine but it is what it is.

So, by your standard, Randy Moss doesn't love football, for starters. Since he admittedly quit on the Raiders. Interesting theory you have there...

YouTube - The Moss Method (Excerpt from the Randy Moss documentary)

(that video's from the Raider years)

The way I understand it:

1) Seymour is a raider, as the paperwork for the trade has already been approved by the NFL.

2) Unless Oakland sends out a 5 day Letter, Seymour can wait until the tenth week (I believe) of the season to show up, and it will count as the final year of his contract.

3) Let's say the Raiders send the 5 day letter. Richard then either shows up, or the Raiders place him on the reserve/did not show list. He'll then be forced to watch the entire 2009 NFL season from his couch, and the Raiders will hold his rights in 2010.

4) The trade can only be voided if Seymour fails a physical.

Really, it's in Richard's best interest to show up in Oakland, if he wants to continue playing football. Richard could retire, but he's never indicated an interest in retiring at this early age. Also, as I mentioned above, he can't simply retire to avoid playing for the Raiders this year, and return to football in 2010 as a free agent. The final year of his contract would roll over, and he wouldn't become a free agent until 2011. The Patriots would keep the draft pick obtained in this situation, as well.

The way I understand it:

1) Seymour is a raider, as the paperwork for the trade has already been approved by the NFL.

2) Unless Oakland sends out a 5 day Letter, Seymour can wait until the tenth week (I believe) of the season to show up, and it will count as the final year of his contract.

3) Let's say the Raiders send the 5 day letter. Richard then either shows up, or the Raiders place him on the reserve/did not show list. He'll then be forced to watch the entire 2009 NFL season from his couch, and the Raiders will hold his rights in 2010.

4) The trade can only be voided if Seymour fails a physical.

Really, it's in Richard's best interest to show up in Oakland, if he wants to continue playing football. Richard could retire, but he's never indicated an interest in retiring at this early age. Also, as I mentioned above, he can't simply retire to avoid playing for the Raiders this year, and return to football in 2010 as a free agent. The final year of his contract would roll over, and he wouldn't become a free agent until 2011. The Patriots would keep the draft pick obtained in this situation, as well.

This sounds about right to me.

I really think Seymour could surprise everyone and retire

This is typical talk radio/messageboard thinking.

Seymour has 5 days to report. Clearly this was a surprising trade and an unhappy development for Seymour. Facts about contracts and what Seymour and teams are thinking are scarce. So we get speculation upon speculation which then becomes extreme speculation.

It happens every time. On Sports Radio on the way home last night, they were debating for over 10 minutes how the Patriots would handle Seymour's retirement. They weren't debating about whether he would retire; they had already gone beyond that and were discussing the best way for the Patriots to handle Seymour's retirement announcement. It sounded like the retirement announcement had already been made.

Of course, there was no announcement - but I didn't know that for sure until after I got home and checked this forum.

This reminds me of the Spygate hysteria.

Personally, I think it's best to wait for a few facts from reliable sources as well as wait for at least the 5 days that Seymour has under the Collective Bargaining Agreement before even having much of an opinion.

Your kidding right? If I had to go to Oakland I'd be devastated...

There still has been a lot of disagreement about who sends the letter...NE or Oak....I would think Oakland would...but others seem to think the Patriots would..(which I can not undesrtand...) And what if the letter is not sent and Seymour is in limbo???
It seems that Seymour's stance of NOT reporting is sinking his popularity...I think it speaks deeply of his character..or lack of it. When was the last time this happened?? MANy many years ago..

So, by your standard, Randy Moss doesn't love football, for starters. Since he admittedly quit on the Raiders. Interesting theory you have there...

YouTube - The Moss Method (Excerpt from the Randy Moss documentary)

(that video's from the Raider years)

Actually, quite the opposite.

He quit on the Raiders who paid him OODLES of money.

He landed in NE, and (a year AFTER setting the NFL season record for TD catches) signed a new contract here for FAR LESS, however for a better FOOTBALL environment.

Football, OBVIOUSLY, is more important to Randy than money.

Last edited:
Actually, quite the opposite.

He quit on the Raiders who paid him OODLES of money.

He landed in NE, and (a year AFTER setting the NFL season record for TD catches) signed a new contract here for FAR LESS, however for a better FOOTBALL environment.

Football, OBVIOUSLY, is more important to Randy than money.

yeah, but he's still getting oodles of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe