PFT goes after ESPN's coverage of Walsh/Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/13/walsh-has-no-evidence-of-cheating/

WALSH HAS NO NEW EVIDENCE OF CHEATING
Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2008, 12:44 p.m.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has announced that former Patriots video employee Matt Walsh has provided him with no new evidence of cheating by the team, beyond the information that already has been discovered and disclosed regarding the taping of coaching signals.

Most importantly, Goodell said that Walsh claims there is no evidence of any videotape of the Rams’ walk-through prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. Walsh told Goodell that Walsh didn’t tape it, that he was not aware of anyone who might have taped it, that he hasn’t seen it, and that he knows of no one who taped it. Walsh also said that he was in Superdome at the time of the walk-through, that he was going about his required busines, and that he was on sidelines in Patriots gear while the Rams were practicing.

Goodell said that Walsh also is aware of no other violations of league rules of policies by the Patriots. Goodell specifically ruled out evidence of bugging of locker rooms, manipulation of communications systems, augmenting of crowd noises, and/or placing microphones on players to pick up opponents’ audibles or signals by the Patriots.

Walsh supplied only two new pieces of information — that the Pats used a player on injured reserve during a practice in 2001, and that Walsh was involved in the scalping of eight to ten Super Bowl tickets. As to the former, Goodell claimed that the penalty for using a player in practice who is on injured reserve is the imposition of a fine. But Goodell said that there will be no additional penalty, given the $750,000 in fines previously imposed on the team.

Walsh told Goodell that he wasn’t looking for publicity, and that when Walsh hinted that there was more evidence of cheating to the New York Times, Walsh was under the impression that it wasn’t well known that the practice dated back to the 2000 season.

And that’s because it wasn’t well known. Though the NFL has tried to perpetuate the notion that the Pats ‘fessed up to taping it has been common knowledge since September, it wasn’t widely reported until February 2008.

Finally, and we hope that the people at ESPN were listening closely to this, Goodell said that Walsh’s tapes weren’t used during the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PFT to ESPN

LOL at the last line. Of course they're not. THey have to run their mouths about something all day.

I am so glad that channel doesn't exist for me anymore. I've been a far more pleasant person.

LOL at the last line. Of course they're not. THey have to run their mouths about something all day.

I am so glad that channel doesn't exist for me anymore. I've been a far more pleasant person.

I don't know which was worse, their blatant asinine statements while the tapes were showed, which led to a conclusion that they were obviously used during games and pointing to games like the Super Bowl (38) in which the Pats scored a whopping 4 more points in the second half than the first...

Or AFTER Goodell says that the tapes were not used at halftime, that ehese two dopes come back on the air and maintain that they were in fact used at halftime.

Take this Schelereth..........CHEATERS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

Broncos Penalized Again for Salary Cap Violations

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 17, 2004; 5:37 PM

The penalties imposed Thursday on the Denver Broncos for violations of the league's rules regarding the disclosure of deferred compensation to players and the salary cap were the second sanctions against the team for similar infractions in less than three years.

In December 2001, the Broncos were fined $968,000 and lost a third-round pick in the 2002 draft for violations reportedly relating to $29 million in deferred payments to quarterback John Elway and running back Terrell Davis.

On Thursday, the league announced that the Broncos have been fined $950,000 and will lose a third-round selection in next year's draft for circumventing the salary cap between 1996 and '98. The penalties were set in an agreement between the league, the Players Association and the Broncos and resolve a case against...

Last edited by a moderator:

Twenty-nine million reasons why Schlereth should shut the hell up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back