PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Seymour upset and friend says may not report to Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe the tag takes the top 5 salaries at the position and averages them, regardless of cap hit...which would make Sey's position a huge issue, as the top 5 salaries for DT are on average about 5 million less than the same for DE.

It's $6M for DTs and $9M for DEs, so it definitely is a pretty huge difference, but, as Synovia said, if you tag a player his salary has to be the average of the tops at his position *or* a 10% raise, whichever is greater, so no matter what position Seymour was tagged at, he would get a 10% raise over his current salary.

Thanks, Mo. What surprises me is the idea that most trades are contingent on the player reporting. Isn't that functionally equivalent to giving every player veto power over trades?

Apparently not because of the five day letter... Besides, most traded players just want their $$$ and it's often easier to get it from a team only responsible for remaining salary and not amortization.

Of all the ability-centric issues raised over this trade, the leadership question concerns me the most with the current defense given the recent evolution of personnel. The leadership aspect evident in that group is not something taught, and the coach cannot call that quality in from the sidelines.

I won't go "gloom and doom" on this specific trade as I see the present trade value and prospects of resigning Seymour as well as Belichick's ability to coach defense, but it will be interesting to see how this new group works together on the field.

u know, since our last SB win what this defense has had PLENTY of?

it was experience and leadership....and yet with the vast amounts of both, this defense still broke when it mattered most against indy and the giants?

maybe its time we focus more on skill and talent rather than leadership and experience....

it was experience and leadership....and yet with the vast amounts of both, this defense still broke when it mattered most against indy and the giants?

maybe its time we focus more on skill and talent rather than leadership and experience....

I agree in principle with your statement and was thinking along the same lines. EVEN with all of the experienced players on the team, the D couldn't hold leads late in games when it counted.

I know there are arguments for the D (like the flu ripping through the team in the AFC champ game) or the offense didn't score enough in the superbowl but in each game the defense had a chance to close it out and didn't (over even last year against the Jets).

Last edited:
It's $6M for DTs and $9M for DEs, so it definitely is a pretty huge difference, but, as Synovia said, if you tag a player his salary has to be the average of the tops at his position *or* a 10% raise, whichever is greater, so no matter what position Seymour was tagged at, he would get a 10% raise over his current salary.

But I believe they figure that out based on the average of the players amortization and salary. Seymour got an option bonus on his 3 year extension that was spread over 4 seasons (including 2006). So he may actually "count" as less than $8M (which was his average over 4 years) which would put him under the DE tag. But Crable predictably has already gone on record saying he will play mostly RDE in Oakland and only slide over in certain limited situations.

But I believe they figure that out based on the average of the players amortization and salary. Seymour got an option bonus on his 3 year extension that was spread over 4 seasons (including 2006). So he may actually "count" as less than $8M (which was his average over 4 years) which would put him under the DE tag. But Crable predictably has already gone on record saying he will play mostly RDE in Oakland and only slide over in certain limited situations.

Freudian slip, sir? ;)

100% agree. At the end of the day, the guys on your side of the field have to be talented enough to beat the guys on the other side of the field. If they're not, you won't win very often :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST