Welcome to PatsFans.com

Peter King: Seymour upset and friend says may not report to Oakland

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +705 / 5 / -3

Peter King had five points on the Oakland trade, one of them is that Seymour isn't happy (not surprising) and he has told by someone close to Seymour that he wouldn't be surprised if he didn't report to the Raiders.

Richard Seymour fallout, Michael Vick ruling, cutdown weekend - Peter King - SI.com

BTW, King is wrong about free agency sorta. Seymour can skip the first 10 games and show up for the last six and get his credit towards free ageny.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If i were Seymour i'd be pizzed too. Oakland IS a Black Hole where talent goes to die.
  3. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Wouldn't that be an amazing footnote to this story if he didn't report?

I don't care for King but his point # 5 is a little startling.
  4. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

I think it's a stretch to say "his friend says he might not report" when the quote is "I wouldn't be surprised if..."

I feel terrible for Seymour - as terrible as one can feel for a multimillionaire with three Super Bowl rings and a paycheck for playing a game. To get traded from the pinnacle of the sport to freakin' Oakland - talk about a black hole - has got to be incredibly dispiriting.
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Gee, Rich maybe you should have ran your motor more in off contract years and not stepped on BB's dick so much in 2005. :rolleyes:

I appreciate what Big Sey brought, but lets face it from 2005 on, he hasn't exactly been the model Patriot either. I'd be annoyed if he did not man up and show. Karma baby, karma.

That said, I doubt this is all that realistic.
  6. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +705 / 5 / -3

It is hard to put a clear title with a character limit. I changed it twice. If you can come up with a better title that will fit the character limit have at it. I will switch if you do.
  7. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Of all the ability-centric issues raised over this trade, the leadership question concerns me the most with the current defense given the recent evolution of personnel. The leadership aspect evident in that group is not something taught, and the coach cannot call that quality in from the sidelines.

I won't go "gloom and doom" on this specific trade as I see the present trade value and prospects of resigning Seymour as well as Belichick's ability to coach defense, but it will be interesting to see how this new group works together on the field.
  8. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

It is probably coincidental, but it seems all the 'cornerstone' guys have big AFC West relationships:
    Mike Vrabel (and Pioli/Cassel) to Chiefs
    Seymour to the Raiders
    Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau from SD
    and to top it off, McD to Denver
  9. LeonPowe

LeonPowe Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good riddance, crybaby. Let the Raiders deal with his attitude. Only has been a day and we can already see that the Patriots made the right move in dumping him instead of paying that lazy sack of crap.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

So, it appears the only way for the Pats NOT to get the 2011 pick is if Seymour commits career suicide and doesn't report. In other words, he can't just sit out a season and be a free agent.

Question: Does anyone know if/when Seymour had a chance to sign a long-term cap-friendly deal with the Patriots and turned it down?
  11. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Attitude?
    Richards a pretty quiet guy.
    I'd like to see you do his job on the line.
  12. LeonPowe

LeonPowe Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Make me 6'6, 310 with Seymour's talent and I would, only I wouldn't be a lazy, whining, turd like him.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Sey wants Haynesworth money and won't get it in NE. I have NO PROBLEm, with any Pro opting for ther $$$$, they take a lot of punishment. But you can't have you cake and eat it too, you do what is best for you and the team does what is best for it.

Some guys have given a hometown discount, and were shown some consideration in kind, some went solely of the $$$. We all make choices in our lives and career even if we are pro bowlers.
  14. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

King is just stirring the pot. When he speaks I have to see it to believe it. Just recently he was 99% certain that we were going to trade Watson for Feeley. Take it with a grain of salt. Seymour is not that type of player imo.
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Certainly an issue worth mentioning. However, that same leadership has not exactly translated in the same defensive dominance it once had. Increasingly, the defense has become more of the liability then the offense. Is that leadership, scheming, execution? Not sure. But it's obviously the BB is looking for a "new" leadership as he eyes the future.

Oh, Hello there...... ;)

[​IMG]
  16. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I'm not going to bash Sey. He played well and contributed more than his share while here. But, I'm not crying for Sey either. He is a pro athlete who knows the rules all too well.

If he doesn't go, that's his choice. I think they get the pick regardless. No ? Not our fault he doesn't go (which I doubt happens because of the free agency rammifications).
  17. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i told oakland fans, hide richard's shoelaces, don't let him have anything sharp

but they didn't believe me
  18. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i think if he doesn't report, the trade is off, but it depends on the wording

if you guys get the pick and he decides to just retire anyway, i am going to laugh so hard

damn pats are just too cunning
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Shalize Manza Young reported this AM that he would not report unless he was guaranteed that the Raiders would not franchise him....
  20. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

My sentiments exactly! Loved having Seymour play for the Pats, but it was obviously time for him to go and there is definitely no love lost after his little contract squabble in '05 and most of all this can send a message to other players that thought Seymour won that power struggle only to end up in the "Elephant's Graveyard"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.