PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Seymour upset and friend says may not report to Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, he won't report unless they promise not to franchise him next year. Which means he has no interest in staying past this year. Which means Oakland just paid a 1st-rounder for a one-year rental during which they have no hope of winning more than four games.

I applaud you, Mr. Davis. Well done, once again.
eugene parker at it again...

Can't blame Seymour for being pissed about having to go to Oakland.

We'll see if we end up happy that Jarvis finally gets to start. In small doses, being put in position to do what he does well, he can be very effective. As a full-time, all-season starter, there may be diminishing returns.

interesting to see now what our run defense looks like..

Of all the Patriots, Seymour is one of the most frequent saying "it's a business". He has no reason to be upset, he's fine calling it a business when it means going for more money. Bruschi would never have ended up in this situation.

Well, Vrabel did, despite all the stories of his special relationship with Belichick.

Realistically, this is a tough spot for Seymour, personally and professionally. Playing in NFL Siberia, in a new system you don't have time to get comfortable with, is a lousy way to set yourself up for the last big contract of your career. And he clearly doesn't want to stay there past this year, so should he really uproot his family just as the school year starts?

That doesn't make it wrong on the Pats' side; this is sports, players get traded. But it's unrealistic to expect Seymour to be happy about it.

There's actually worse teams than Oakland in the NFL and he's playing in one of the easiest divisions in the entire league.

That doesn't make it wrong on the Pats' side; this is sports, players get traded. But it's unrealistic to expect Seymour to be happy about it.
I wouldn't expect him to be happy but, again, your legitimate Vrabel example aside, Seymour is the one who always says it's a business and he's right.

Bruschi and Brady are the only patriot players who would not be in this situation. One used to think that there were more at any given time, but that era ended the day Milloy was cut in the week before the season started. Since then (after a week of histrionics), it has all been business for the team and the players.

With regard to Vrabel, I suspect that Vrabel was done a favor. He would not have gotten his bonus if he wasn't traded. The alternative was to cut him later in the off-season. Belichick has clearly decided to move on.

The open question is when Belichick decided to move on with Seymour.

Well, Vrabel did, despite all the stories of his special relationship with Belichick.

Realistically, this is a tough spot for Seymour, personally and professionally. Playing in NFL Siberia, in a new system you don't have time to get comfortable with, is a lousy way to set yourself up for the last big contract of your career. And he clearly doesn't want to stay there past this year, so should he really uproot his family just as the school year starts?

Last edited:
King is such a hack. I suppose the rest of the league has decided to keep players who aren't worth it and aren't worth their contracts, in the salary cap era.

You could easily make an argument that we kept great linebackers Bruschi and Vrabel a year too long and McGinest right on the margin.

I really know of no team that keeps players with big contracts that are past their prime in the NFL, yet we keep hearing this drivel, as if Belichick is kicking little "Tiny Tims" out into the ****ensian cold.

It's one year of a guy who wasn't going to agree to a reasonable contract, for a first. That's how you stay in contention.

Completely agree.

Peter King is a moron who barely understands football or the management side of football.

He is a latte sipping gossiper who provides zero value in terms of analysis.

His only value, gossiping news, is going away with the twitter era. Morons like him are no longer needed.

There's actually worse teams than Oakland in the NFL and he's playing in one of the easiest divisions in the entire league.

Absolutely true, he could have a monster season for them. Nonetheless, I have to think Seymour would be better off entering FA as a key part of the Patriots' championship legacy rather than as a castoff BB decided was no longer worth the big bucks.

Too bad for Seymour who thought he was going to get a free ride into free agency. Well BB isn't that stupid. He either shows up and plays or loses his chance to get the big payday and we know he is all about the money.

If he really wants the 'no franchise' guarantee, then that about seals that this is a terrible trade for Oakland. A first rounder to have a guy for one year where you have no realistic shot at a Super Bowl. If he truly isn't happy, how could Al not see that coming?

Why did he say he doens't want a "franchise" tag?

Are you kidding? Kind of flattering himself there, isn't he? The franchise tag is like $17M for one year of work. Don't franchise him? That's like saying "I don't want to win the lottery...lot of headaches deciding what to do with the money."

Yes, I know he could get more "guaranteed" in a longer term deal, but 17M for one year and THEN getting a fat deal is pretty rich too.

Why did he say he doens't want a "franchise" tag?

Are you kidding? Kind of flattering himself there, isn't he? The franchise tag is like $17M for one year of work. Don't franchise him? That's like saying "I don't want to win the lottery...lot of headaches deciding what to do with the money."

Yes, I know he could get more "guaranteed" in a longer term deal, but 17M for one year and THEN getting a fat deal is pretty rich too.

If he's unhappy it has nothing to do with money, it has to do with the team he's going to.

Make me 6'6, 310 with Seymour's talent and I would, only I wouldn't be a lazy, whining, turd like him.
This is the best comeback I've ever seen here.

:youtheman:

5. Defensive leaders lost in New England in the last 12 months: Mike Vrabel and Seymour (traded), Tedy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison (retired), and Junior Seau (not re-signed). I can't think of a team that's lost as many cornerstone players and leaders in one year since I've been covering the league.

The only one of those guys who was still a cornerstone guy was Seymour.

Harrison, and Bruschi both stopped being elite defenders a couple of years ago, and were both liabilities last year.,

Last edited:
And the Patriots had a good relationship with Parker, as he's one of the guys that regularly gets his players to camp.

The Crabtree story is peculiar because there really is a huge dropoff between what the 49ers are offering and what the pick before him got.
Are you sure? I thought they were offering to slot him where he was picked and he wanted to be paid MORE the the seventh round pick.

Are you sure? I thought they were offering to slot him where he was picked and he wanted to be paid MORE the the seventh round pick.

THey were. THe big drop is a couple picks above him, where the raiders paid DHB way above slot.

The franchise tag is nowhere near 17M. Its more likely in the 10M range, which, considering what Haynseworth got, isn't nearly enough for a player of Seymour's caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back