PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King MMQB - Patriots & Lance Briggs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money may not be the issue;

Playing time certainly wouldn't be the issue;

The issue may be - does Jerry Angelo have the stones to trade Briggs for a draft pick outside the top 20? After all, he literally gave away Thomas Jones to the effin jest for a SWAP of 2nd-round picks (WTF?).

I can picture this pissing contest lasting up to Draft Weekend. Let's see who blinks first.

I was talking actual contracts. But if you are talking about their offset on the cap by replacing other players I agree.
Well all that matters to us is the cap and if the $10M is right. which Miguel basically verifies at the top of his page, then we're about $8M under after accounting for the draft picks. Which is plenty of money and which could increase several million if we get Samuel re-done.

The issue may be - does Jerry Angelo have the stones to trade Briggs for a draft pick outside the top 20? After all, he literally gave away Thomas Jones to the effin jest for a SWAP of 2nd-round picks (WTF?).
The Jest went down almost a full round and still signed Jones to a 4 year, $20M deal - they could have just as easily signed Travis Henry and traded nothing; that wasn't the freebee it was made out to be IMO.

The Jest went down almost a full round and still signed Jones to a 4 year, $20M deal - they could have just as easily signed Travis Henry and traded nothing; that wasn't the freebee it was made out to be IMO.

Yea, but the Jets still have two second rounders...If that pick had been their only second rounder I would totally agree, but since they had another second rounder it made trading that early pick more appealing. Now if the Bears get Brandon Jackson, Meriweather, or another top selection with that pick, they might get the last laugh. I think Brandon Jackson is going to be a stud in the right system.

Last edited:
It's pure speculation people. King loves NE and just wants to get excited by picturing Briggs on the team, and the fact NE has two firsts makes it even easier to speculate. The team he chose to mention wasn't even the important part of his speculation, which was "what will Chicago do with Briggs?"

We "drafted" Welker with our second round pick.

With regard to Briggs, we have plenty of cap money. Check out Stallworth's contract. Restructuring and Dillon can add another $8M if we need it.

Perhaps we are testing the waters on Briggs before commiting to Seau or Hartwell.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

However you need some football education if you truly would prefer Willis to Briggs.

Why would you wan't Briggs, if you don't like the idea of spending a first on Willis?

Is this a serious question?

Very serious....and I don't understand why you think it wouldn't be. Briggs is a Tampa 2/4-3 LB who has been very effective in Chicago's defensive scheme, but that scheme is very different from NE's, and you would be asking him to play a completely differently role, if you moved him to ILB. Personally I think he could make that move, and would be a beast in NE's system. But, this type of move still merits the above questions.

Willis is a 4-3 ILB with speed and size, who you would be taking a chance on by placing him in a different defensive scheme than he is used to. He would only get a rookie contract along with the first round pick.

Briggs cost you at least a first round pick, and likely at least 20M guaranteed, to switch him over to a position he is not used to, and has said he might not be interested in.....

Now do you understand the questioning?

Last edited:
I seriously doubt we trade for Chicago's version of Deion Branch. Put this one down as King trying to create something when in reality there's nothing there.

Last edited:
I hope you are being sarcastic.

However you need some football education if you truly would prefer Willis to Briggs.

I didn't say I want Willis over Briggs...I am questioning people wanting to trade a first round pick and spend 20M guaranteed on a tampa 2 backer, when they don't want to spend just a first on Willis.

On the football education part, first don't assume anything from those statements, and don't assume I lack football intellect....that's uncalled for, and rude.

Last edited:
Briggs for Branch (assuming it's the 24 we end up having to trade). That's not a bad trade man.

I find it interesting that people have so quickly over-looked that Briggs doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense.

What mankes any of you think that Briggs would want to play for the Patriots when we run, Primarly, a 3-4 base?

I find it interesting that people have so quickly over-looked that Briggs doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense.

What mankes any of you think that Briggs would want to play for the Patriots when we run, Primarly, a 3-4 base?

Get ready for someone to question your football intellect:)

You still post on ESPN? I haven't for about the past week. the place just got boring to me.

Draft picks are going to take more than 2M...more like 4M-5M NE's 2006 draft picks counted for something like 4.2-4.4M against the cap (thats with Mincey, and Stevens being cut prior to the season), and that was without two first rounders....If they trade away one first to Chicago they would then be in a simular situation as last year (minus a second rounder), but contracts have gone up, so they should still be in the 4-4.5M range. Check it out if you don't believe me.

Not that I didn't believe you, but this question has been bantered about, so from Miguel's page here are the 2006 draft pick cap hits:
Laurence Maroney $1,150,000
Chad Jackson $727,000
David Thomas $435,187
Stephen Gostkowski $381,250
Ryan O'Callaghan $322,625
Le Kevin Smith $292,750
Willie Andrews $286,625
Total $3,595,437

Slightly less than your estimates, but well over $2M as you said.

Jason Taylor was dead set against the 3-4 too. In fact, at one point asked to be traded.

Two All-Pro seasons and a Defensive Player of the Year later, I think he likes it just fine.

I'm sure once Belichick or Colvin opens Briggs mind up, he'll enjoy playing in this defense.

Jason Taylor was dead set against the 3-4 too. In fact, at one point asked to be traded.

Two All-Pro seasons and a Defensive Player of the Year later, I think he likes it just fine.

I'm sure once Belichick or Colvin opens Briggs mind up, he'll enjoy playing in this defense.

Also he was asked that during the super bowl week of hype.

How would a fan of Chicago react to the hearing of Briggs saying he'd play for a 3-4 team during FA go over before he played the biggest game of the year for that team?

Briggs isn't stupid either. He knows he shouldnt have said anything then and didn't.

His mind is open to RB right now if you offer him enough money.

Very serious....and I don't understand why you think it wouldn't be. Briggs is a Tampa 2/4-3 LB who has been very effective in Chicago's defensive scheme, but that scheme is very different from NE's, and you would be asking him to play a completely differently role, if you moved him to ILB. Personally I think he could make that move, and would be a beast in NE's system. But, this type of move still merits the above questions.

Willis is a 4-3 ILB with speed and size, who you would be taking a chance on by placing him in a different defensive scheme than he is used to. He would only get a rookie contract along with the first round pick.

Thomas cost you at least a first round pick, and likely at least 20M guaranteed, to switch him over to a position he is not used to, and has said he might not be interested in.....

Now do you understand the questioning?

I understood the question before, I just couldn't believe you were asking it. It's like choosing whether you want one million dollars cash or one million powerball tickets.

Keeping in mind that neither has played in a 3-4, one has proven he can dominate in the NFL, and one has not. You're either paying for a productive football player or you're paying for a guy you hope can be a productive football player.

He didn't jump for joy about playing in a 3-4 but, as others have said, I think that comment has been overeacted to. As long as he gets to make plays, and get lots of $$$, he'd be happy.

Not that I didn't believe you, but this question has been bantered about, so from Miguel's page here are the 2006 draft pick cap hits:
Laurence Maroney $1,150,000
Chad Jackson $727,000
David Thomas $435,187
Stephen Gostkowski $381,250
Ryan O'Callaghan $322,625
Le Kevin Smith $292,750
Willie Andrews $286,625
Total $3,595,437

Slightly less than your estimates, but well over $2M as you said.
You missed three people...

Gerrett Mills $390,625
Dan Stevenson (cut) $47,000
Jeremy Mincey (cut) $22,733
So, $3,595,437 + 390,625 + 47,000 + 22,733 = $4,050,795
I was off by .2M (I was trying to remember off the top of my head.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case