PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King MMQB - Patriots & Lance Briggs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats exactly what he did. He thought of the team that has spent the most money and has two picks and said BOOM instant connection.

The Patriots really dont have the money to throw at this guy.

And not only would there be money if Asante signs long-term, any of the big salary contracts from previous seasons can be adjusted to create cap space.

Look at what the Colts did to free up money to franchise Freeney - Manning converts salary to a guarantee bonus and all of a sudden they have the $10 million in cap space.

No Waay, the Bears take #28 for Briggs. That is just King and the agent talking. If the Bears would do it, I'd say make the trade in a heartbeat.

The Pats could use the newly invented BB 3-5-3 defense with Seymour, WIlfork, and Warren as lineman.

Colvin, Vrabel, and Thomas somewhere at the line of scrimmage with Bruschi and Briggs playing ILB.

The CBs playing man, and Rodney over the top!!!!

BB would find a place for Briggs, but this is all moot, because no way the Bears part with him for just the 28th pick in the draft.

Not holding it against him at all. Just stating the facts.

Facts are he has not lived up to his billing. What goes into that doesent matter.(ie..Injury, whatever).

That's absurd--of course it matters. Huge difference between a guy who doesn't live up to his billing and a guy who suffers a devastating injury. Completely different way of viewing bringing in someone who think is an analogous (sp?) player.

I highly doubt money would be the objectionable element in any deal for Briggs. As others have stated money could easily be freed up to sign Briggs.

The biggest deterant in any deal for Briggs would be whether or not he's a fit for this defense. Then there is the matter of draft pick compensation. I doubt a 1st would get Briggs but starnger things have happened.

If Briggs could be had for a 1st and if the Pats figured Briggs was a good fit in this defense I would imagine they'd jump all over such a trade because no way any player the Pats draft in the 1st will have the impact that Briggs would have for at least a couple of season, if ever.

I'd love if they traded a #1 for Briggs. The guy is all over the field and is better in coverage than anything else the Pats have at LB. A huge upgrade, IMO.

Give him a contract that mirrors what they gave AD.

But at the end of the day the net is all that matters.

Yes, if you want to ignore the idea that the rookie pool exists, then yes, all that matter is the net.

Unforutnately, the rookie pool DOES matter and teams have to have that amount set aside to sign their players.

What's the point of this? You just told me a bunch of stuff I have already been saying on these forums concerning this draft class, and made it seem like you were informing me of something....what I don't know.
Sorry Cousin,
My retort of the situation was two-fold to address some holes that need addressing IMO and my opinion mirrors yours on one front. It was not meant to undermine your views. Da Salute Don Corleone! If you have ideas I concur with.

The thread was partially about the CAP room left and what Briggs would cost. My emphasis was on wasting financial resources on a lot of stock piled choices that in this years draft, make no sense because of value....Versus finding a two time young Pro Bowler who could be had perhaps for one of this years not really valuable #1's, and we have two of them. Just use that CAP money to pay a Briggs. Or....as plan "B", swapping up to get the best of the slim pickings near the top on the draft.

Plan "C" of course, is trading out of this years choices and picking up a choice or two for 2008, if that seems to have more promise than the crap class this year.

My apologies to you kind sir!
DW Toys

Yes, if you want to ignore the idea that the rookie pool exists, then yes, all that matter is the net.

Unforutnately, the rookie pool DOES matter and teams have to have that amount set aside to sign their players.
Not they don't because the Rule of 51 is already in effect. They have to pay their rookies that much but for every one that's signed a minimum salary guy drops off.

That's absurd--of course it matters. Huge difference between a guy who doesn't live up to his billing and a guy who suffers a devastating injury.

Doesent matter to me.

Patriots paid him millions of dollars to do a job.

He did not do the job as well as advertised.

He didnt give any money back, so I view him as not lliving up to the potential he was paid for.

Agree, disagree...dont care my opinion stays the same.

I might be being naive and/or wrong-headed, but my feeling is, We just spent a whole lot of $$$ on AD, I'd rather go younger in the draft for a round one LB we can have, on short-ish money, for a decade.

Not they don't because the Rule of 51 is already in effect. They have to pay their rookies that much but for every one that's signed a minimum salary guy drops off.

I think what he means is before the draft each team has to set aside a "rookie pool" that will cover the expected salaries for all their draft picks.

I might be being naive and/or wrong-headed, but my feeling is, We just spent a whole lot of $$$ on AD, I'd rather go younger in the draft for a round one LB we can have, on short-ish money, for a decade.

I agree 100%.

How is Andy Katzenmoyer doing these days? Still dominant in the Patriots LB corps?

Last edited:
I'd agree if Briggs wasn't one of the best LB in the NFL. I'd take a proven top player.

You don't get into cap trouble paying the really good players a lot of money, you get into trouble overpaying for crappy players.

Briggs would have a big impact on the Pats because he is as athletic and better in coverage than any LB they have. After watching the Pats LB chasing the likes of Dallas Clark and Bryan Fletcher of the Colts, sign me up for a LB who can match up with those guys.

How is Andy Katzenmoyer doing these days? Still dominant in the Patriots LB corps?

This is an easy shot and not terribly relevant. Andy Katzenmoyer actually didn't play poorly at all in N.E., and got injured - which is possible for a guy like Briggs, Willis, Beason, Colvin, anyone. Also, even if Katz HAD been a bad player (which, again, he wasn't), BB/Pioli didn't draft him.

e. What language is it that Bill Raftery speaks, actually?

It's been well established that Peter King is a major tool, but this unprovoked attack on the legendary Raftery is beyond the pale.

Sorry Cousin,
My retort of the situation was two-fold to address some holes that need addressing IMO and my opinion mirrors yours on one front. It was not meant to undermine your views. Da Salute Don Corleone! If you have ideas I concur with.

The thread was partially about the CAP room left and what Briggs would cost. My emphasis was on wasting financial resources on a lot of stock piled choices that in this years draft, make no sense because of value....Versus finding a two time young Pro Bowler who could be had perhaps for one of this years not really valuable #1's, and we have two of them. Just use that CAP money to pay a Briggs. Or....as plan "B", swapping up to get the best of the slim pickings near the top on the draft.

Plan "C" of course, is trading out of this years choices and picking up a choice or two for 2008, if that seems to have more promise than the crap class this year.

My apologies to you kind sir!
DW Toys

Your plan B is close to one of my plans posted on here "Maybe the best option" (I LOL when people started calling it "the sebman trade", in other threads, good stuff.)

Why do you keep calling me cousin?

Mind if I call you chief, or gus? LOL

- SP

I think what he means is before the draft each team has to set aside a "rookie pool" that will cover the expected salaries for all their draft picks.

They don't have to set aside that much cap room. The value of all the contracts can't add up to more than the rookie pool number, but that isn't until they are signed anyway.

Draft picks only count as a rookie-minimum tender offer. If a team has more than 51 players under contract, that tender doesn't even count against the cap. If a team has less than 51 players, the team only needs enough cap room to offer a rookie minimum salary tender to each pick that brings them up to 51 players to be able to draft.

Considering he was drafted before BB was in charge of this team I dont see the relevance to this situation, but actually if it wasnt for the neck injury I think he would have had a pretty good career.

He wasnt horrible the year he played....I mean he was no Monty Beisel.:rolleyes:

I'm surrprised this is even being debated--it's a no-brainer. Briggs is only 26--saying the Pats should draft a LB to get "younger" is a little off. 26 is young, particularly considering the fact the guy is a known quantity. If he can be had for a pick, the Pats will jump on him......and everyone on this board will be ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down