PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King MMQB - Patriots & Lance Briggs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would be worried about however is that stallworth's and washington's contracts are both back ended. It's a small hit this year but next year their cap charges would be huge (assuming of course that washington makes the team). Will we have enough money for all these guys next year?

If they play well enough for the Patriots to be interested in picking up the options, the deals could be restructured, most likely converting the roster bonuses to signing bonus and pro-rating them. Like anything else, the cap hits could be managed.

The biggest concern would be having so much money tied up on defense, especially with guys like Warren and Wilfork due contracts down the road. However, the Pats would have an incredible front-7, best in the NFL. I'd pay for that.

Wow! I'm thinking a lot of these guys are totally frustrated with Briggs' stance now and would love to get something for him right now rather than risk losing him for at least 10 games this season, which he could possibly do and still collect all of his money.

What I would be worried about however is that stallworth's and washington's contracts are both back ended. It's a small hit this year but next year their cap charges would be huge (assuming of course that washington makes the team). Will we have enough money for all these guys next year?

Cousin,
We are supposing that both Stallworth and Washington prove themselves and the Pats opt to activate their 2008 and above kick-in money. With Gaffney and Caldwell in their last year, my guess is that the Godfather and SP are saying, hey we've got 4 receivers to make a decision upon, let's take the best two or three. These Stallworth and Washington contracts were based to hedge the bet if one or the other did not work out, or best case scenario they both did the Pats were protected if the pricing of top WR's go up again. Very smart play!

You can still keep one of those WR and/or resign a Caldwell or Gaffney and you still have Welker and Jackson on contract for 2008.Then you will surely have enough room for Briggs, I think a WR is easier to replace than a Pro Bowl LB who as we suspect, would be a solid MLB next to Teddy for at least another couple years.

Plus, if they sign Assante to a LTD, then Briggs is affordable this year and it is what it is then in 2008.

The important thing to remember here cousins, this years draft class is TERRIBLE. The first rounders and a few seconds are decent. After that, the third rounders were last years fifth rounders in value etc.,etc. Sure, one or two below will work out and we have to use up our comp picks anyway, so maybe we get one or two players for depth there.

It almost pays to draft out of this year for 2008, if that draft is perceived better. The Pats FO did their homework and took some shots at some FA's in 2007 rather than draft choices they do like to do, because the draft "harvest" this year was really poor. Example: Was Welker worth a two and a seven? This year he was. He's a proven commodity, he's young, he doesn't need two or three years to "get it". and he is fairly cost efficient. Thomas? Need I say more. K. Brady filled an immediate need without having the training wheels on a rookie might have. The Godfather and SP have out-thought some of their peers once again.

Would I go for Briggs and give up a 28th pick? He's young! He's a Pro Bowler. He would work out at MLB without question. Do we gamble on a Willis or a Beason that they will be better than Briggs? .........Or do we take the sure thing Pro Bowler? The CAP will work out on this deal, Stallworth and Washington non withstanding.
DW Toys

It isn't just that Peter King is speculating - he apparently made this suggestion to Drew Rosenhaus, who was probably inviting the speculation, and Rosenhaus was amenable to the idea.

I love it. Trading a first round pick would in itself free up some money for this, and there is no need to keep money in reserve for Junior Seau.

I know that Briggs has said he doesn't want to play in a 3-4, and if he is really dead set against it (I doubt that) then we wouldn't want him on the Patriots anyway.

I dont think there is anything a player like Briggs couldnt adjust too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft