PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Redskins release DE Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to stop looking at his 08 season. He was asked to take on blockers most of the season which is not what he is good at. If he switches to OLB here, it would be in his wheel house.

Taylor wants to be near his kids. Tampa has come a calling.

That makes sense, his old Miami DC Jim Bates in there now.

Yes, but wasn't he still playing DE most of the time?

It was a hybrid system. Anyways, he returned two interceptions 76 yards that year, both for touchdowns. He spent a good deal of time that season, the season before, and the season after - with SD's Cameron at the helm - in the 3-4 alignment.

Good god. Can you guys imagine a starting LB corps of Taylor, Mayo, A.D., and Peppers? I think I would blow my load instantaneously upon hearing news of that.

I was thinking this shortly after reading Taylor was released.

This scenario may sound like total fantasy to many here, but why not?

They have both the draft picks and cap room (if they're creative enough) to go get Peppers and sign Taylor.

Think about the last time the Patriots didn't make the playoffs. They reloaded with Moss, A.D., Welker etc.

I think they may be getting ready to reload again :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
Yes. Miami ran a hybrid defense for a while that relied on Taylor's ability to play in a 3-point and standing up as an elephant/jack linebacker.

Interesting. Wasn't aware of this. When was this? Also, how did he look?

He was Defensive player of the year that year

I understand Taylor is older and on the downside of his career, but...He would come much, much cheaper than suggs and peppers in terms of both draft compensation and price per season. now, the question is can he play olb in a 3/4 alignment.

I was thinking this shortly after reading Taylor was released.

This scenario may sound like total fantasy to many here, but why not?

They have both the draft picks and cap room (if they're creative enough) to go get Peppers and sign Taylor.

Think about the last time the Patriots didn't make the playoffs. They reloaded with Moss, A.D., Welker etc.

I think they may be getting ready to reload again :)

The last time they didnt make the playoffs was in 02... But the last two times that they didnt make the playoffs, they won the superbowl the next year!

The last time they didnt make the playoffs was in 02... But the last two times that they didnt make the playoffs, they won the superbowl the next year!

What the hell are you talking about?

The '02 season was the ONLY season the Pats didn't make the playoffs up until last season which refers to SB victories the next season

Where do you get 2 times????

Last edited:

The '02 season was the ONLY season the Pats didn't make the playoffs up until last season which refers to SB victories the next season

How about 2000?

Ease up on the vitriol.

After 2000 (when they didn't make the playoffs) they won the Super Bowl.

Sounds like you started watching in 2001.

Now are we talking about turning Taylor into an OLB here?

hes already experienced 3-4 OLB for Saban few years ago. its not a big conversion for him

I think it comes down to whether he would take a minimal deal here for a year or two to get a ring, or go to Tampa Bay to be closer to his family (not to mention making more money).

I think it comes down to whether he would take a minimal deal here for a year or two to get a ring, or go to Tampa Bay to be closer to his family (not to mention making more money).

Agreed... which contains the word "greed" and I bet he goes for the money :)

Sounds like you started watching in 2001.

Well if you want to go back to 2000 then you can go back even farther because there were MANY years the Pats didn't win the SB after missing the playoffs unless you go beyond the BB era. - Even though BB was coach here in 2000,I never really accepted that year since he was really picking up the many bad pieces that Carroll left behind and had no chance to take that team to the playoffs that year,but if you want to get technical...well :).

The obsession with him is too big. He's done. Reminds me of Simeon Rice now.

Depends on if JT has anything left. I could see BB bringing him in for vet money and see if he can contribute at OLB. But it won't be for significant dollars.

With everyone of these veteran guys it will come down to the money. Of course BB wants him and i'm sure he'll ask for him, but i don't think Taylor will come for much less than 8.5 million and then i'm more interested in signing Wilfork and maybe Peppers. I do believe Taylor can still play.

He was out most of last season with an injury!!I rather grab Peppers who is younger!!

Well if you consider he was defensive player of the year, the first year he was switched to OLB in the 3-4. Also,he's coming off an injury surely he has something to prove. He was on dancing with the stars. Peppers is 29, he's no spring chicken, he's making 17 mil and he has'nt distinguished himself as a 3-4 OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft