PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penn State looking at Bill O'Brien as top head coach candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Ausbacker, it's opinions like that which are supposed to be involved when you're talking about the legalities.

And the world's been **** since the fall of man (or forever, for the non-religious).
Which is precisely why it's wrong.

Which is precisely why it's wrong.

No, it's precisely why people who can't separate one aspect from another should avoid the areas they can't handle.

And on that note, I'm done with this. I was pointing to the legality, nothing more.

No, it's precisely why people who can't separate one aspect from another should avoid the areas they can't handle.

And on that note, I'm done with this. I was pointing to the legality, nothing more.
One interpretation and application of legal mumbo jumbo is more correct than another but it doesn't make it right Deus.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean.

Chances are O'Brien will stick around at least half time to try to win a SB. But if he wanted to he could just take off and leave us without our O.C. for the playoffs. There's rules against that if he got an NFL job but not a college job.

He would be burning some Bridges and could potentially hurt him for future job opportunities in the NFL.. Technically he could leave but I think he has to much respect for the Pats to do that.

I'm not going to argue about it as I don't have the stamina to go 12 rounds with you, I'll just show that the NCAA has already stated that they think they have something to look at here :

Ryssdal: As the body that is charged, in theory, with guaranteeing the safety of student athletes in American colleges and universities, how are you going to do that? What is your role in something like Penn State?

Emmert: Well we have rules and bylaws that -- while they were never written to address anything quite like this of course -- they speak directly to the control that institutions have to maintain over their athletic departments and their programs. And they speak very directly to ethical behavior of people in those programs and we'll apply those bylaws, and if the allegations hold up, then we'll act accordingly.

Ryssdal: Let me make sure I understand you: There is room here for NCAA sanctions against Penn State?

Emmert: We have a very strong interest in making sure that our programs are reflective of the best values of athletics and of universities.

NCAA may target Penn State for ‘lack of institutional control’ - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

I'll say it again for the umpteenth time. They didn't violate any institutional protocols. They reported the incident up the chain of command. There was no lack of institutional control.

I'll say it again for the umpteenth time. They didn't violate any institutional protocols. They reported the incident up the chain of command. There was no lack of institutional control.

I don't think they will be hit with sanctions. Penn St. fired Joe Paterno. They fired every person with influence and knowledge of the situation. Maybe one good thing that comes out of this, is that the university will become the institution rather then the football program. Once the head coach is named and the remaining staff is sent packing, the football program will continue and be confined to what it is. Contrast that to other programs (Ohio) who have been reprimanded and will probably receive sanctions in the future as this amounts to a tossed flag. Of course, all of this is irrelevant until Sandusky is sentenced and never sees the light of day.

with all the stuff that program is dealing with he would have to be crazy to take that job

with all the stuff that program is dealing with he would have to be crazy to take that job

I don't think its a football issue any longer. My hedge is that O'Brien takes the job.

I don't think its a football issue any longer. My hedge is that O'Brien takes the job.

IF O'Brien leaves for PennState, who will take OC for Patriots? Bring back JoshMcDaniels? Or hire within?

I disagree but I don't care that much . . .

More importantly it sounds like this was a false alarm per Casserly :

CasserlyCBS Charley Casserly
O'Brien- Won't be going to Penn State. Greg Roman SF Off Coord has been interviewed. Penn St to take another shot at Peterson(Boise)

O'Brien- Won't be going to Penn State. Greg Roman SF Off Coord has been interviewed. Penn St to take another shot at Peterson(Boise)

Casserly was wrong? Thats a first :rolleyes:

BOB apparently has an agent these days, Joe Linta, who has been trying to deny this rumor since it broke. He says BOB aspires to be a HC... I wonder if having an agent is the problem. Most teams frown on position coaches employing them, and they consider coordinators position coaches by rule which is why you can't move at will laterally - only from coach to HC). Linta may have been intent on creating a buzz for his client especially on the heels of the barking at Brady PR and accidentally opened a pandora's box of speculation. I betcha Bill isn't thrilled with the buzz. I could see Bill leaving BOB hanging for a bit, sort of letting him test his market before offering him an extension with the understanding that he doesn't want to hear anymore about personal aspirations for a couple of years...

Casserly was wrong? Thats a first :rolleyes:
Who says he was wrong ? He is saying today O'Brien isn't going to Penn St., he wasn't the one yesterday saying he was.

Like him or not, Casserly is good and if Bill had listened to him in 2006, Spygate would never have happened (Casserly said on TV that teams were complaining about the Patriots filming).

BOB apparently has an agent these days, Joe Linta, who has been trying to deny this rumor since it broke. He says BOB aspires to be a HC... I wonder if having an agent is the problem. Most teams frown on position coaches employing them, and they consider coordinators position coaches by rule which is why you can't move at will laterally - only from coach to HC). Linta may have been intent on creating a buzz for his client especially on the heels of the barking at Brady PR and accidentally opened a pandora's box of speculation. I betcha Bill isn't thrilled with the buzz. I could see Bill leaving BOB hanging for a bit, sort of letting him test his market before offering him an extension with the understanding that he doesn't want to hear anymore about personal aspirations for a couple of years...

I have never heard of position coaches not having sports agents. Seriously, your using the sideline spat between Brady and O'Brien as speculation?

I hope it isn't true because i sure would hate to have to root for him to lose every game forever.

I have never heard of position coaches not having sports agents. Seriously, your using the sideline spat between Brady and O'Brien as speculation?

The sideline spat brought media attention to BOB and shortly thereafter the speculation that he could be interviewing for HC positions as soon as this season... Teams have historically frowned on assistant or position coaches employing agents. You don't negotiate your deal, you're lucky to have one and you serve at will season to season - contracts mean nothing. As guys become coordinators they tend to shift gears and become HC's in waiting. Many also go back and forth as retread HC-to Coordinator-HC. They get recruited or interview for new posts and that is when they begin to have agents to get them some security in the form of guarantees - like say Shottsie who the JETS will have to pay thru 2013 whether they can him today or not. Joe Linta is RAC's agent...probably since he left the JETS for Cleveland in 2000. He also reps some of our fringe players like Hoyer.

You're going to have to tell me what institutional protocol they violated.

I hope it isn't true because i sure would hate to have to root for him to lose every game forever.

That's how I felt when Weis got hired at Notre Dame. Which worked out ok. Hmmmm, Miami?

Charley Casserly...................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back