PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penn State looking at Bill O'Brien as top head coach candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
This never happened. You need to get your facts straight. UConn did not get any major charges or penalties. They were all minor. The major stuff was thrown out as unfounded during the investigation.

Failure to monitor is not "minor". It's the 2nd most serious charge next to LOIC. All the rest of the violations are however.

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions has penalized the University of Connecticut for violations in its men's basketball program.

The case includes more than $6,000 in improper recruiting inducements, impermissible phone calls and text messages to prospective student-athletes, failure to monitor and promote an atmosphere for compliance by the head coach, failure to monitor by the university, and unethical conduct by the former operations director, among other violations

UConn mens basketball program penalized - NCAA.org

No offense, but everyone knows that Football and Basketball are handled differently by the NCAA. Comparing one to the other is not really relevant.

I remember the Ohio State basketball program under Jim O'Brien (With Emerson ) paid for a player and the school for their final 4 vacated and was placed on probation for 3 years. Banned from post season as well.
Jim got banned for a year or 2 from coaching as well.

Can't remember what the NCAA charged OSU with.

Last edited:
You wrote LOIC. Failure to monitor IS MINOR.

You do realize this was over text messages, right? And what UConn did isn't even illegal anymore.

My bad. I screwed up the initials. And yes I know it's not illegal anymore but it was prior to that.

NCAA is unpredictable and sometimes incompetent.

My bad. I screwed up the initials. And yes I know it's not illegal anymore but it was prior to that.

NCAA is unpredictable and sometimes incompetent.

UConn screwed up and got caught and paid the price, loss of scholarships for 3 years.

But, as far as the NCAA goes, this was not a big investigation.

Curiously, UConn was one of three NCAA D1 schools NEVER placed on probation until this. Yes, that's 3 out of over 120.

Only Penn State and Stanford remain.

I don't really have a strong feeling one way or other if BOB stays or goes, other than I don't want this to be a distraction during our playoff run.

O'Brien would have to be out of his mind to take this job. There's absolutely no good that could come from it.

PSU will be CRUSHED on the recruiting trail the next few years for obvious reasons. It won't matter who the HC is. Other college coaches will be able to go into a recruit's living room and ask his parents if they really want their son associated with that program.

Anyone who knows anything about recruiting knows negative recruiting = results. That's where the real work is done, beyond showing off tradition and flashy facilities. O'Brien will be able to sell PSU's ample facilities and tradition, but he will have no control whatsoever on how other schools recruit against him.

Bad recuting = losses. Lots of them.

O'Brien would likely drop off a couple of 4 or 5 win seasons. About that time, Joe Pa will finally shuffle off this mortal coil and be sainted again by PSU fans. Instead of being the guy that rides to the rescue, it won't take all that long for people to start drawing the inevitable comparisons between O'Brien and a legend who left the game in disgrace, but won a ton of games.

So then O'Brien gets canned and all of the sudden he's coming back to the NFL hat in hand hoping to get a job coaching TEs or QBs, if he's lucky. He'll have to start over again.

The child rapist set PSU football back a decade or more only their fans don't know it yet, or are too blind to realize it. That job is radioactive and will be for some time to come.

Last edited:
NCAA won't do anything to Joe Pa. They will however will be placing some sort of sanctions, whether if it's probation, sanctions or banning the football program for 1-2 years.

That won't happen; in the one case where that happened in football, the players were just as guilty as the coaches; here, there is no evidence that the players did anything wrong. [FWIW, I'd see it unfolding much like the Duke lacrosse case: the NCAA ultimately decided that the players had been punished unfairly that they were all granted an extra year of eligibility.]

I think at this point, he's too hot headed to be a successful HC, gets too emotional too easily. I hope the best for him if it's true. I don't think we'll miss a beat though.

The NCAA has no jurisdiction to place sanctions for that since none of their rules were violated. Not sure how you think that is the case.
The NCAA does what it wants. It can use it's "Lack of Institutional Control" and "Failure to Monitor" to do what it likes.

The NCAA does what it wants. It can use it's "Lack of Institutional Control" and "Failure to Monitor" to do what it likes.

Those aren't "good of the game" clauses. There has to be a violation first. O'Brien's agent said that the report is off base. Exactly how off base remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Those aren't "good of the game" clauses. There has to be a violation first
I'm not going to argue about it as I don't have the stamina to go 12 rounds with you, I'll just show that the NCAA has already stated that they think they have something to look at here :

Ryssdal: As the body that is charged, in theory, with guaranteeing the safety of student athletes in American colleges and universities, how are you going to do that? What is your role in something like Penn State?

Emmert: Well we have rules and bylaws that -- while they were never written to address anything quite like this of course -- they speak directly to the control that institutions have to maintain over their athletic departments and their programs. And they speak very directly to ethical behavior of people in those programs and we'll apply those bylaws, and if the allegations hold up, then we'll act accordingly.

Ryssdal: Let me make sure I understand you: There is room here for NCAA sanctions against Penn State?

Emmert: We have a very strong interest in making sure that our programs are reflective of the best values of athletics and of universities.

NCAA may target Penn State for ‘lack of institutional control’ - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue about it as I don't have the stamina to go 12 rounds with you, I'll just show that the NCAA has already stated that they think they have something to look at here :

Ryssdal: As the body that is charged, in theory, with guaranteeing the safety of student athletes in American colleges and universities, how are you going to do that? What is your role in something like Penn State?

Emmert: Well we have rules and bylaws that -- while they were never written to address anything quite like this of course -- they speak directly to the control that institutions have to maintain over their athletic departments and their programs. And they speak very directly to ethical behavior of people in those programs and we'll apply those bylaws, and if the allegations hold up, then we'll act accordingly.

Ryssdal: Let me make sure I understand you: There is room here for NCAA sanctions against Penn State?

Emmert: We have a very strong interest in making sure that our programs are reflective of the best values of athletics and of universities.

NCAA may target Penn State for ‘lack of institutional control’ - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

So, in other words, they have no jurisdiction but they are going to bully the college for things that were handled according to their rules.. Got it.

So, in other words, they have no jurisdiction but they are going to bully the college for things that were handled according to their rules.. Got it.
It's the NCAA, it is what it is and they do what they want.

$cam Knewton (spelling intentional) shouldn't have been allowed on the field per SEC rules (family member agreeing to accept money from any SEC school, as Daddy did from MSU) nor NCAA rules (having an agent represent the player for financial gain as Daddy did). But they let it slide just . . . because.

I can't figure it out so I just watch the games and root for Saban.

A governing body wants to commit overreach. That's not news. All I said was that there's no "good of the game" clause and there has to be a violation first. It's pretty clear that the interviewee is admitting to that. The NCAA wanting to act in spite of that is neither surprising nor novel.

It's not about going 12 rounds. I have pretty much no interest in the Penn State situation outside of its potential impact upon the Patriots coaching staff.

Last edited:
A governing body wants to commit overreach. That's not news. All I said was that there's no "good of the game" clause and there has to be a violation first. It's pretty clear that the interviewee is admitting to that. The NCAA wanting to act in spite of that is neither surprising nor novel.
You and I disagree on the interpretation of the line you bolded. You think it means they'll do nothing. I think it means they'll do something as their own interpretation of "failure to monitor" as there wasn't a clear definition for something like this.

I don't care either. The NCAA just frustrates me to no end.

You and I disagree on the interpretation of the line you bolded. You think it means they'll do nothing. I think it means they'll do something as their own interpretation of "failure to monitor" as there wasn't a clear definition for something like this.

I don't care either. The NCAA just frustrates me to no end.

I don't think it means that they'll do nothing. I think it means that there's nothing legitimate they can do. Anything they do should get tossed by the courts if Penn State decides to fight it. If the NCAA does go forward with this stupidity, this is going to be a case of the NCAA trying to shoehorn charges that don't apply.

Now, if Penn State doesn't mind taking a beating and allowing the NCAA to establish yet another precedent, that's a different ballgame. We saw the same thing happen with Goodell getting away with punishing those players who did "wrong" during the lockout because the union threw those players under the bus.

Again, my only point was that the NCAA doesn't have the same kind of clause that MLB has, so it can't just act as it wishes, at least in theory. It needs a violation.

Last edited:
I don't think it means that they'll do nothing. I think it means that there's nothing legitimate they can do. Anything they do should get tossed by the courts if Penn State decides to fight it. If the NCAA does go forward with this stupidity, this is going to be a case of the NCAA trying to shoehorn charges that don't apply.

Now, if Penn State doesn't mind taking a beating and allowing the NCAA to establish yet another precedent, that's a different ballgame. We saw the same thing happen with Goodell getting away with punishing those players who did "wrong" during the lockout because the union threw those players under the bus.

Again, my only point was that the NCAA doesn't have the same kind of clause that MLB has, so it can't just act as it wishes, at least in theory. It needs a violation.
Taking a legal standpoint rather than looking after the interests of innocent Americans and the failure of adults to act on allegations of the most serious nature Deus?

It's opinion like that that have helped facilitate the world turning to ****.

Taking a legal standpoint rather than looking after the interests of innocent Americans and the failure of adults to act on allegations of the most serious nature Deus?

It's opinion like that that have helped facilitate the world turning to ****.

No, Ausbacker, it's opinions like that which are supposed to be involved when you're talking about the legalities.

And the world's been **** since the fall of man (or forever, for the non-religious).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back