PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS Won't Worry About Top 5 Pick Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Seymour wouldn't have been a Patriot this season anyway, and having Seymour last season wouldn't have prevented the injuries to Brady, Moss, Welker, Mayo, etc. And a player unhappy about his contract would've been another headache in a locker room that didn't need any more.

It's been shown that there were multiple ways we could have signed Seymour and Wilfork to long term contracts.

It's been shown that there were multiple ways we could have signed Seymour and Wilfork to long term contracts.

How do you know Seymour would have wanted to stay?

the seymour, pick will be in the mid 20's i think oakland is going to win the AFC west

How do you know Seymour would have wanted to stay?

His reaction to the trade after the fact should have given some indication to any doubters. I really don't believe that it was all about going to Oakland. There was at least some part of him that really wanted to stay in New England. But whatever. It is what it is. He's been gone for over a year now and, while I still don't think it was a good move, there's nothing that we can do to change it.

The best place to be is between 15 and 10 anyway. It's partially why they traded down to get a great player at less cost and risk. Any pick in the top 5 you are handcuffed to for 6 years.

Hopefully the new CBA fixes that

It'll be in the 1st round and that means it'll be a good player. Look at it this way. The Patriots got a 1st round draft pick and a signed Vince Wilfork for **** Seymour. That's a steal.

the seymour, pick will be in the mid 20's i think oakland is going to win the AFC west
SD will. I'm very disappointed in how the Raiders are doing but the hard part of their schedule is yet to come. @ Pitt, @SD, Indy are very likely losses. They aren't the next three but take their 5-4 now and if they lose those three that puts them at 5-7 and they'd have to win out to make the playoffs. And they still have Miami, at Jax, Denver, @ KC remaining.

Honestly, I only EXPECT them to win the Jax, Denver games which would leave them at 7-9. Throw them a win against Miami and they're 8-8 and the pick will be right in the middle which is OK. The three game winning streak is nice for them but Seattle and Denver are horrible. KC is OK.

Anyone check out Clay Matthews last night ?

Hey Upstater ? Are you out there ?

You still like that deal?, the last time we spoke........

I believe it was Darius Butler, Edelman and Gronk

for

Clay Matthews

Clay Matthews right now is considered the best defensive player in football, I just wanted to know if you still like the deal we ended up making by passing on Clay Matthews ?

Anyone check out Clay Matthews last night ?

Hey Upstater ? Are you out there ?

You still like that deal?, the last time we spoke........

I believe it was Darius Butler, Edelman and Gronk

for

Clay Matthews

Clay Matthews right now is considered the best defensive player in football, I just wanted to know if you still like the deal we ended up making by passing on Clay Matthews ?

Easy to jump on the Matthews bandwagon now, but things will turn very quickly if he tears his triceps or gets a PED suspension. He's been great so far, but he is a ticking time bomb. We'll see if it goes off some time soon.

I wonder where that Seymore pick will end up?

Personally, I was never really in favor of this trade, so my opinion on it hasn't changed on it much.

Easy to jump on the Matthews bandwagon now, but things will turn very quickly if he tears his triceps or gets a PED suspension. He's been great so far, but he is a ticking time bomb. We'll see if it goes off some time soon.

I agree with this completely. This guy is not legit, and it's only a matter of time before we find out. This isn't a court of law, I will use circumstantial evidence against him.

Ah wrong, I was on his bandwagon on draft day, not now !

He is a ticking timebomb ? Interesting, I hear ya, we couldn't use a guy like that in our defense, you're right, he might just go off at any moment. Let's be glad he's not on our roster and that he is with GB.

Ah wrong, I was on his bandwagon on draft day, not now !

He is a ticking timebomb ? Interesting, I hear ya, we couldn't use a guy like that in our defense, you're right, he might just go off at any moment. Let's be glad he's not on our roster and that he is with GB.

Well 6-2 without him is pretty darn good, though I'm sure the Pats would be 8-0 right now with Matthews instead of Ninkovich. :rolleyes: And if both his biceps roll up like window shades sometime this season, I can play the i-told-you-so game. Until then (or if it never happens), enjoy pining for him!

He's been gone for over a year now and, while I still don't think it was a good move, there's nothing that we can do to change it.

Not to beat an horse that y'all probably pounded to dust, last year, but I find this subject engaging, so I hope you don't mind that I chip in...

I actually LOVE the practice of aggressively trading veterans for Draft Picks, but selectively.

Unless it was before or during the Draft, and I was sure of upgrading him, I don't know if there's any circumstance under which I would trade a starting Grizzly ~ of either Front Line ~ and particularly not Richard Seymour. It all starts in the Trenches, by God, and you can't jettison an Impact Player of Seymour's caliber, right before the season, without crippling your chances of competing for a Championship. I'm with you 100%, Brothah!! :snob:

I'd trade guys like Ben Watson ~ a year ago ~ and Laurence Maroney, before the Draft, thank you, so that those Picks can go right to work, and last year I was pounding the table to move Matt Light, with a mind towards drafting OT Charlie Brown.

What I would've LOVED to've done, though, is to've franchised Randy Moss after he broke the TD record ~ and was just turning 31 ~ and moved'm to the highest bidder, IF it was high enough.

Considering what Marshall just fetched ~ at a sharp discount, as everyone knew they wanted rid of'm ~ there's no WAY we wouldn't've gotten at LEAST 2 consecutive 1st Rounders for'm.

I have little doubt we would've been able to hijack the RedSkins for both their 2008 AND 2009 1st Rounders, which would've ended up being #21 + #13.

LT Duane Brown
LB Brian Orakpo

Damn, that would've been sweet.

That would've been perfect.

Somebody got a couple Billion they aren't using? I want to buy the Patriots. :D

Not to beat an horse that y'all probably pounded to dust, last year, but I find this subject engaging, so I hope you don't mind that I chip in...

I actually LOVE the practice of aggressively trading veterans for Draft Picks, but selectively.

Unless it was before or during the Draft, and I was sure of upgrading him, I don't know if there's any circumstance under which I would trade a starting Grizzly ~ of either Front Line ~ and particularly not Richard Seymour. It all starts in the Trenches, by God, and you can't jettison an Impact Player of Seymour's caliber, right before the season, without crippling your chances of competing for a Championship. I'm with you 100%, Brothah!! :snob:

I'd trade guys like Ben Watson ~ a year ago ~ and Laurence Maroney, before the Draft, thank you, so that those Picks can go right to work, and last year I was pounding the table to move Matt Light, with a mind towards drafting OT Charlie Brown.

What I would've LOVED to've done, though, is to've franchised Randy Moss after he broke the TD record ~ and was just turning 31 ~ and moved'm to the highest bidder, IF it was high enough.

Considering what Marshall just fetched ~ at a sharp discount, as everyone knew they wanted rid of'm ~ there's no WAY we wouldn't've gotten at LEAST 2 consecutive 1st Rounders for'm.

I have little doubt we would've been able to hijack the RedSkins for both their 2008 AND 2009 1st Rounders, which would've ended up being #21 + #13.

LT Duane Brown
LB Brian Orakpo

Damn, that would've been sweet.

That would've been perfect.

Somebody got a couple Billion they aren't using? I want to buy the Patriots. :D

While I'm with you in spirit one problem you will run into is how much it'll cost to pay all of those early drafted guys, if you had a strict rookie salary cap it'd be a lot easier but I could very easily see one going over budget with that strategy. It gets even more complicated when it takes time for the rookies to develop, trading players who are effective now lessens your chances of winning the SB this year.

I think the real gold is in better developing testing/evaluation methods to get those excellent players that fall in the draft. Wars are won by the least incompetent army, if we can simply do a much better job of picking players I think we'll be in damn good shape. I think if we got Jones Drew and Greg Jennings instead of Maroney and Chad Jackson we'd have 2 more rings at this point.

I agree with this completely. This guy is not legit, and it's only a matter of time before we find out. This isn't a court of law, I will use circumstantial evidence against him.

What is the circumstantial evidence you would use against him? The fact that he has more sacks this year than our LBing core?

The fact that because he didn't play much in college, he has a nearly full tank of gas and not a lot of dings and bruises?

Or the fact that his head has swelled up like Barry Bond's due to synthetic steriod and human growth hormone usage?

Or the fact that his head has swelled up like Barry Bond's due to synthetic steriod and human growth hormone usage?

Do you have any evidence for that or are you just slandering the guy?

While I'm with you in spirit one problem you will run into is how much it'll cost to pay all of those early drafted guys, if you had a strict rookie salary cap it'd be a lot easier but I could very easily see one going over budget with that strategy. It gets even more complicated when it takes time for the rookies to develop, trading players who are effective now lessens your chances of winning the SB this year.

I think the real gold is in better developing testing/evaluation methods to get those excellent players that fall in the draft. Wars are won by the least incompetent army, if we can simply do a much better job of picking players I think we'll be in damn good shape. I think if we got Jones Drew and Greg Jennings instead of Maroney and Chad Jackson we'd have 2 more rings at this point.

I still think it was a bad trade for one reason only he is still a productive player. A top 5 defensive lineman that we haven't replaced. If it's true that the Pats were offered Oakland's #1 in 2010 but instead took the 2011 #1 because of the new CBA I would be very disappointed, this team has no money issues and it means they aren't doing all they can to win every year especially when your franchise qb is still at the top of his game. Look at the players they could have had with that pick. There are many people on this site that have forgotten how this run began they got lucky with a 6th round pick which turned into a franchise qb and yes they used the 5th pick in the draft to pick Richard Seymour how did that work out for them.

I still think it was a bad trade for one reason only he is still a productive player. A top 5 defensive lineman that we haven't replaced. If it's true that the Pats were offered Oakland's #1 in 2010 but instead took the 2011 #1 because of the new CBA I would be very disappointed, this team has no money issues and it means they aren't doing all they can to win every year especially when your franchise qb is still at the top of his game. Look at the players they could have had with that pick. There are many people on this site that have forgotten how this run began they got lucky with a 6th round pick which turned into a franchise qb and yes they used the 5th pick in the draft to pick Richard Seymour how did that work out for them.

I am pretty certain it was the choice of either a 2010 #2, or a 2011 #1...

Think about it, if it were between 1st, you would just take the 2010 and trade it away for a future #1 +++

Last edited:
I am pretty certain it was the choice of either a 2010 #2, or a 2011 #1...

Think about it, if it were between 1st, you would just take the 2010 and trade it away for a future #1 +++

And Al Davis didn't want to give up the 2010 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News