PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Their DL's speed don't concern you? Vollmer struggled against the smaller Hali. Cole and Babin are in the same mold.

Speed doesn't help if the opponent is pounding the ball down your throat.

Speedy pass rushers are of little value when the ball is pounded down their throats.

patsfans.com has a certain fascination with pass rushers. I bet BB and BOB are not looking at the Eagles as the game they throw 60 yard bomb after bomb.

I'd look at the drive tape of the KC game. Notice once the adjustments were made the offense rolled. That's why I don't fixate on a few plays during a limited portion of the game.

Perhaps someone can explain why they think the Patriots are NOT a matchup nightmare for the Eagles.

Eagles are 1-4 at home...never understood how teams play better on the road

But we all agree..Eagles must and have to win...but will they? I don't think so. Pats just can't start off slow again

IMO they will NEED Chung and Spikes back..hopefully Mccourty as well. I know Eagles suck but they are the one team left that can turn it on at any time. All depends on if Vick is playing

While they've struggled, I wouldn't say the Eagles suck. I think it's going to be a tough game. My main concern is their pass rush. If they can pressure Brady with four, I think it's going to be a long day for us.

While they've struggled, I wouldn't say the Eagles suck. I think it's going to be a tough game. My main concern is their pass rush. If they can pressure Brady with four, I think it's going to be a long day for us.

My main concern is the O starting slow again..can't happen against the eagles

My main concern is the O starting slow again..can't happen against the eagles

Agreed. Talk to O'Brien. I don't know why he won't start out in max protect with short, quick throws. If he doesn't, look for TB to get hit often.

I don't know what to expect, they're loaded on both sides of the ball but the record say's otherwise.:confused:

it'd be nice to run the ball down their throats seeing that their built to stop the pass.

coaching a bunch of talented divas in the nfl has it's draw backs that's for sure. let's hope they spend more time looking at their stats than studying the playbook this week.

Speed doesn't help if the opponent is pounding the ball down your throat.

Speedy pass rushers are of little value when the ball is pounded down their throats.

patsfans.com has a certain fascination with pass rushers. I bet BB and BOB are not looking at the Eagles as the game they throw 60 yard bomb after bomb.

I'd look at the drive tape of the KC game. Notice once the adjustments were made the offense rolled. That's why I don't fixate on a few plays during a limited portion of the game.

Perhaps someone can explain why they think the Patriots are NOT a matchup nightmare for the Eagles.

And what makes you so confident that we will be able to 'pound the ball down their throats?' I hope we do, but I haven't seen much of anything besides the first Jets game to prove that. Having a good day rushing vs the Chiefs doesn't prove too much to me. We have proved time and again, that our rushing game just does not usually get enough done, and we have to rely on the pass to successfully score points. I don't see this matchup being so one sided as you do.

The offense has not done a good job of beating any sort of man coverage, as we all saw for the past 5-6 weeks. With completions to the WR only a handful of times, you don't envision Philly doubling Welker again? Limiting the effectiveness of the WR's (again) and using their pressure in the front 4 and blitz package vs Brady has been quite a blueprint to slowing this offense down.

Again, I don't see anything that is so clearly one-sided in this regard. I don't see why Philly's pass defense and LB'ers are going to be so much worse than the last 4 or 5 teams that we've played?

As far as our matchups on defense, we are obviously going to try and limit the effectiveness of Philly's QB with containment to slow down his scrambling and rush success. That will be a test. So will the matchups of their speedy WR's, who could arguably be one of the season's toughest matchups.

Again, I don't see what is so one-sided in this regard, if anything, the favor goes to Philly and their WR's.

As far as their RB McCoy, he is a weapon in every sense. When the game is simulated 10,000 times in a row, Philly has a 59% chance of winning when McCoy runs for 75 yards. You don't see that happening? What is so "one-sided" about Philly's rushing game vs our depleted LB core? We just allowed Thomas Jones (a significant backup) a 6 yard per average on Monday night...and McCluster a 5 yard average.. Once again, I ask you what is so one-sided to Philly having "matchup nightmares" as you state?

I'm not trying to make this yr's Eagles team sound like the '85 Bears, but they are quite talented.

Unfortunately for them, they have shot themselves in the foot, and that is how they have been losing games...not because too many teams have successfully shut them down.

Whether that happens again (they shoot themselves in the foot), or not remains to be seen.

I think it will be a hard fought, close game no matter what.

Baltimore is at home in Baltimore not Seattle.

Baltimore is 7-3. Philadelphia is 4-6. I learned that from following football rather closely.

Dallas and the Giants? So what?

If we turn the ball over four times then the Patriots should expect a tough game. That's universal in all football not because the Eagles are now some magical 4-6 dynamo.

Philadelphia's linebackers/safeties are very,very bad.
Philadelphia's offensive line is suspect at best.
Philadelphia's defensive line is smallish.
Vick is a turnover machine.

It's not exactly an accident they are 4-6 and can't hold leads.

If you want to just talk about losing at home then fine...

Once again, we will use your example of the ARZ Cards and mine of the BAL Ravens.

These 2 teams played, and BAL had to come back from 24-3 (at home) just to win a last second sqeaker 30-27.

Does that make BAL a bad team, because they were pretty much outplayed by the Cards (at home)?

Or how about the NYG (you know, the team that beat us) losing to SEA at home? Does that make them a bad team? No. Of course it doesn't..

Or how about PIT barely winning at home to the JAX Jags this yr? Certainly doesn't make them a bad team.

Using a one game example of Philly losing at home to ARZ doesn't prove much of a point in today's NFL. Any team can win on any week.

You seem to be the one and only poster on here who is extremely confident about the game this week. While I hope you're right, and will continue to pull for you to be correct, you are definitely in the minority who sees all of these "matchup nightmares."

I'm not trying to make this yr's Eagles team sound like the '85 Bears, but they are quite talented.

Unfortunately for them, they have shot themselves in the foot, and that is how they have been losing games...not because too many teams have successfully shut them down.

Whether that happens again (they shoot themselves in the foot), or not remains to be seen.

I think it will be a hard fought, close game no matter what.

This game scares me too regardless of who plays QB, especially if Maclin is healthy and McCourty isn't 100% yet. The Eagles beat the Giants in their place and destroyed the Cowboys, they can be really bad but they are dangerous.

If Maclin doesn't play I think we can get by if McCourty has to miss another week. Survive this week and we go 13-3 IMO, this is a huge game.

Plus if you look at the standings, all the Eagles really need to do is tie Dallas/NYG, their division record is the best of the 3 and probably get the tiebreak. 2 games back and coming off a huge divisional win, that team is going to be fired up for this game. They need this one.

I'm starting to regret rooting for Philly last week all because I hate Mike Carey so much. If Philly lost that game they'd be 3-7 right now, 4 games out of first and all but done.

Last edited:
Plus if you look at the standings, all the Eagles really need to do is tie Dallas/NYG, their division record is the best of the 3 and probably get the tiebreak. 2 games back and coming off a huge divisional win, that team is going to be fired up for this game. They need this one.

I'm starting to regret rooting for Philly last week all because I hate Mike Carey so much. If Philly lost that game they'd be 3-7 right now, 4 games out of first and all but done.

I agree wholeheartedly about their only being 2 games out and having the tie breakers over both Dallas and the NYGiants.

Their season is not done at all, that is a fan-based and media fabrication. They have SEA, MIA, and WAS on their schedule, and could be 5-6 after this week. Their only tough games are hosting the NYJ, which is certainly winnable, especially if they were to gain momentum over the next few weeks by beating SEA and MIA--taking them to 7-6.

Their only other hard game is at DAL in week #16. They could easily win 5 out of the next 6 and be right there for the wildcard slot, or even a division tiebreaker, should they beat DAL.

Now if they lose this week, you can all but stick a fork in them, as they'd have to win their last 5 to get to 9-7...but they'd likely lose any momentum that they had by falling to 4-7.

This game scares me too regardless of who plays QB, especially if Maclin is healthy and McCourty isn't 100% yet. The Eagles beat the Giants in their place and destroyed the Cowboys, they can be really bad but they are dangerous.

If Maclin doesn't play I think we can get by if McCourty has to miss another week. Survive this week and we go 13-3 IMO, this is a huge game.

From what I understand Maclin is back, and wasn't even that seriously bad off last week. He participated in practice, and is fully expected to go.

Now if we could somehow luck out, and get DeSean Jackson out of the picture, that would help our matchups and coverage tremendously.

Either way, I expect McCoy to be able to successfully run the ball, and that will open up their passing game.

Yes, they'll probably turn it over once or twice. Depending on our turnovers, we should be able to gain an extra possession just from their turnovers (2 to 1 or something like that), so that will help. But for a team with a losing record, they will be our toughest matchup by far.

Then again, if MIA should somehow continue playing tough defense, they could pose us problems too. I don't believe they've allowed a TD in a while.

Dallas and the Giants? So what?

Oh, I don't know...

How about the fact that Philly beat them both.

AND we went down to the wire with both of the teams that they beat.

AND we scored the exact same number of pts vs them as they did to us, at 40-40.

That'd be a good enough starting point for most.

Every game should make us Patriot fans be nervous until the defense demonstrates the Pitt game and first few games of the season were not who this D is, and the offense is the first several games of the season and not the first half of the Giants, first half of KC, first half of the last Jets, much of the Dallas game and almost all of the Pitt game.

Shhhhh, the Patriot game plan to beat Philly is a secret. It involves the clandestine effort of our O having to score often while the D having to keep Philly kicking FGs/out of the endzone.

Vick will reportedly miss another practice today, per Rapaport.

This makes it a lot more likely that we'll face Young on Sunday.

Vick will reportedly miss another practice today, per Rapaport.

This makes it a lot more likely that we'll face Young on Sunday.

Would rather face young than vick..i am just worried about Mccoy and that front 7..they got a lot of pressure last game

No one is saying that the Eagles are a good team. their record isnt an abberation...BUT they have the talent/ability to turn it on at times. like they did against the cowboys/Giants.

this isnt a team you can fall asleep against and expect to get the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back