PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade happy today and it is making it me sad: Traded Late Round pick for Jerel Worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm a big Fan of this Move.

01 ~ Worthy was an extremely popular Prospect hereabouts in the Draft Forum in 2012, but I thought'm seriously overrated, and said so on my Blog. He's explosive ~ tremendous Launch Velocity ~ but I had concerns about'is Power and, more crucially, about'is Fluidity. Furthermore, I shared Brother Craig's concerns about'is Motor, and thought that the Packers made an hysterically asinine Blunder at #51.

I can only suppose that Mad Bill destroyed their Plans when he pounced on Tavon Wilson at #48. :D

02 ~ The Pick was especially inexplicable in light of the fact that Packers run a 34, whereas everybody on the Planet knew that Worthy, whether Beast or Bust, was clearly a penetrating 43 Tackle. He was therefore horribly matched as a 34 End in Green Bay's System, and it showed.

03 ~ Worthy's current back problems fuel my concerns about'is Motor and'is Conditioning, but the December 2012 ACL Injury that blew up his 2013 Campaign can happen to anyone.

04 ~ What intrigues me most about this Move is that Worthy has now burned through the crucial but generally ignored Take It Through The Gears Year that all Earthlings need in order to get back to 100% of their Former Form, following a serious Injury such as Worthy suffered late in 2012.

05 ~ The other Aspect of this that intrigues me is Psychological: The Much Ballyhooed projected 1st Rounder slipped to the 2nd Round, struggled as a Rookie, got hurt, missed a Year, and now, just 2 Years later, is a forgotten man. We all mature at different speeds, and while I'd be the last guy to pound the table for Worthy, I think it's important to keep in mind that he wouldn't be the first guy to cruise for a few Years but then wake up and evolve when faced with the Death of his Dream.

Great Move, Mad Bill!!
beer.gif

Last edited:
A lot of optimism here. Between Wilfork, Kelly, C Jones and Siliga, I don't see Worthy (nor Bass, for that matter) cracking up a place on the roster. But maybe one of those young backups is in a far worse place medically than it would seen. Also, there's a chance of any of them having a hidden potential somewhere, so let's hope for the best

Last edited:
Ron Brace, the sequel.

My point was simply that both are stiffs.

I'm wondering if they might stash him on IR if he fails the physical, even though they have the option to void the deal. Would that be a possibility? It would give him a year to get healthy and learn a good work ethic, or show the team he's not going to buckle down and do he work. They showed the willingness to carry a prospect with Armistead, could this turn into the sme kind of thing?

I was wondering about the rules on that, as far as passing a physical. There is no doubt they need to stash, or pay a lot in picks or FA $$$ for defensive linemen as Wilfork and Kelly play less, or retire in the future. Easley is a smaller tackle and Siliga and Jones are nice rotation players, they'll need some studs somehow.

Personally, I think it is a sign that they intend to use a 3-4 this season a lot more than most thought.

I don't think it's a sign of that at all. The Patriots "base" this year will more than likely be irrelevant once again and they'll more than likely spend most of the time in the nickel, as they have the last few years. If I wanted to, I could make the argument that they'll probably be in the nickel more this year considering some of the higher powered offenses they'll be facing in the NFC North and AFC West.

Oh no, we can't trade our 7th!!! (just kidding).
There will likely only be 0-4 guys draft after the Pat's 7th rounder.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Since both are hurt and we have injury concerns on the front line, could they be stashed on PUP for midseason talent if needed? Would we still owe the pick?

Shocking.

I wanted the Pats to draft Worthy (or Kendall Reyes) in the 2nd round that year, but we took Tavon Wilson instead.

Now we get Worthy for much less than a 2nd. Hopefully he works out in New England. He has the talent. Not sure what his problem was in Green Bay though. He hasn't done anything in the NFL yet.

I was high on Worthy, too. Over in the draft forum we like to sing our praises when we're right but I have to say, I bombed the 2012 draft hard. My favorite DTs were Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes, Brandon Thompson and Devon Still, in that order. I was right about Reyes but I really messed up on the other three :p I was also a passionate hater of Derek Wolfe who has looked very, very good when he's healthy.

Lets hope Worthy works out here. He was a beast in college.

There will likely only be 0-4 guys draft after the Pat's 7th rounder.

You're forgetting about comp picks but that still doesn't really detract from your point.

You've probably got that backwards, my friend.

Worthy was stupidly deployed as an End in Green Bay, though he's obviously a penetrating 3 Tech Type.

And the Patriots play a lot of Hybrid Fronts, too: 1Gap & 2Gap principles on the same Snap.
Yeah after reading more about Worthy you are right, he is not a great fit for the 3-4. I am a big fan of the trade either way, Worthy essentially restores what we lost when Armstead retired and that is a young DE/DT with a lot of upside.

Personally, I'm a big Fan of this Move.

01 ~ Worthy was an extremely popular Prospect hereabouts in the Draft Forum in 2012, but I thought'm seriously overrated, and said so on my Blog. He's explosive ~ tremendous Launch Velocity ~ but I had concerns about'is Power and, more crucially, about'is Fluidity. Furthermore, I shared Brother Craig's concerns about'is Motor, and thought that the Packers made an hysterically asinine Blunder at #51.

I can only suppose that Mad Bill destroyed their Plans when he pounced on Tavon Wilson at #48. :D

02 ~ The Pick was especially inexplicable in light of the fact that Packers run a 34, whereas everybody on the Planet knew that Worthy, whether Beast or Bust, was clearly a penetrating 43 Tackle. He was therefore horribly matched as a 34 End in Green Bay's System, and it showed.

03 ~ Worthy's current back problems fuel my concerns about'is Motor and'is Conditioning, but the December 2012 ACL Injury that blew up his 2013 Campaign can happen to anyone.

04 ~ What intrigues me most about this Move is that Worthy has now burned through the crucial but generally ignored Take It Through The Gears Year that all Earthlings need in order to get back to 100% of their Former Form, following a serious Injury such as Worthy suffered late in 2012.

05 ~ The other Aspect of this that intrigues me is Psychological: The Much Ballyhooed projected 1st Rounder slipped to the 2nd Round, struggled as a Rookie, got hurt, missed a Year, and now, just 2 Years later, is a forgotten man. We all mature at different speeds, and while I'd be the last guy to pound the table for Worthy, I think it's important to keep in mind that he wouldn't be the first guy to cruise for a few Years but then wake up and evolve when faced with the Death of his Dream.

Great Move, Mad Bill!!
beer.gif

I agree with pretty much all of this. Worthy is just about down to his last straw. He'll either flame out (likely, but the Pats' apparently aren't risking much) or he'll get his act together, in which case he certainly has the talent to be a quality penetrating DT. He was very miscast in GB, and he clearly had some conditioning and work ethic issues. Whether the light turns on is a big question, and I'm not holding my breath, but it's a decent gamble.

Worthy essentially restores what we lost when Armstead retired and that is a young DE/DT with a lot of upside.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

Patriots acquired DE Jerel Worthy from the Packers.
Ian rapoport

This got mentioned in the thread Trade thread about bass for Green. You were quite late, actually.

Since both are hurt and we have injury concerns on the front line, could they be stashed on PUP for midseason talent if needed? Would we still owe the pick?

No.. They can't both be stashed on the PUP. Neither were on the PUP prior to their acquisition. Once you've practiced, you can't be put on the PUP list.

No.. They can't both be stashed on the PUP. Neither were on the PUP prior to their acquisition. Once you've practiced, you can't be put on the PUP list.
Someone mentioned in another thread and I tend to agree that the Green trade likely had more to do with the Patriots getting Green off the roster without freeing him up for the Jets to claim on waivers and less to do with them actually wanting Bass. I think Bass is a long shot to make the roster, I think Worthy is very likely to make it, I actually love the Worthy trade it could end up being a felony theft.

My bad, I thought I had read that neither had practiced yet.

Interesting thought on keeping Green away from the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference