PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade happy today and it is making it me sad: Traded Late Round pick for Jerel Worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, we can't trade our 7th!!! (just kidding).

Brings back fond memories of BB throwing in a 7th for Welker and the serious butthurt on this board. Good Times!

No.. They can't both be stashed on the PUP. Neither were on the PUP prior to their acquisition. Once you've practiced, you can't be put on the PUP list.

But they could take him and then put him immediately on IR if they wanted to, right? I mean, maybe this isn't about anything regarding 2014, but maybe BB thought that Worthy has a lot of talent, and having another year to come back from injury, he's worth having in our organization to see what happens in 2015.

Great if he pans out but at this point he's a longshot to even make the roster.

But they could take him and then put him immediately on IR if they wanted to, right? I mean, maybe this isn't about anything regarding 2014, but maybe BB thought that Worthy has a lot of talent, and having another year to come back from injury, he's worth having in our organization to see what happens in 2015.

No, they would have to keep Worthy until the final cut downs on Aug.30th when the 53 man roster is determined. At that time, he could then go to IR without having to pass waivers.

As we've seen with the RB that we took from CAR, if a team decides to gamble right now and cut a player in the hopes of him making it through waivers and unto IR, that player can be snatched up.

My bad, I thought I had read that neither had practiced yet.

You are correct that some had claimed that yesterday, when the news of the deals first broke.

My favorite DTs were Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes, Brandon Thompson and Devon Still, in that order. I was right about Reyes but I really messed up on the other three :p...

Don't give up on Thompson just yet. He's having a hard time cracking Cinci's talented DL, but it's not
because of lack of effort. Too bad Bill didn't draft him instead of Jake the Fake; he would've made
an excellent rotational DT here.

Apparently TE Terrence Miller was the player that was moved to make room for Worthy.

Source: Pats waive injured TE Miller - espnBoston

In order to make room for newly acquired defensive lineman Jerel Worthy on their roster, the Patriots have waived/injured tight end Terrence Miller, signed on Monday, according to a league source.

Miller, an undrafted free agent out of Arizona who has also spent time with the Jets, was not present for the Patriots' joint practice with the Eagles on Wednesday morning.

Worthy, a 2012 second-round pick, was acquired for a conditional draft pick.​

My bad, I thought I had read that neither had practiced yet.

Worthy has not practiced and is on NFI:
All deals have that clause, but it's especially important in this case because Worthy has not practiced so far in training camp due to a lower back injury. He could not pass his physical when camp started and was placed on the non-football injury list.
Green Bay Packers agree to trade Jerel Worthy to the New England Patriots - espnBoston

Bass practiced but has had a hamstring injury.

Worthy is a fine acquisition. The cost was low. If he is healthy, he'll surely make the roster. If not, we could have him on the roster and then IR. Alternatively, he could be put on the PUP or NFI list for half the season (and then either IR or the 53).

If Worthy isn't worthy, then we've lost a 7th or nothing if we cut him before the season starts. We could still re-sign him later and put him on IR.

Jerel Worthy had good workout #'s. If he would have had a great work ethic he was probably capable of an elite combine performance. Better work ethic and he likely jumps over 30 inches,broad jumps well over 9', easily runs a sub 5 second 40 and reps well over 30. A strong Work ethic and his 3 cone could have been rediculous as it wasn't far from some good LBs.

Are you Gymrat?

I don't think it's a sign of that at all. The Patriots "base" this year will more than likely be irrelevant once again and they'll more than likely spend most of the time in the nickel, as they have the last few years. If I wanted to, I could make the argument that they'll probably be in the nickel more this year considering some of the higher powered offenses they'll be facing in the NFC North and AFC West.
There are a handful of specific teams (Broncos, Indy, Green Bay, Detroit, maybe SD) which will put the Pats in the nickel, but for the most part, they won't be in nickel much if they can't stop the run.

Are you Gymrat?

LL

There are a handful of specific teams (Broncos, Indy, Green Bay, Detroit, maybe SD) which will put the Pats in the nickel, but for the most part, they won't be in nickel much if they can't stop the run.
I believe that the pats were in the nickel on more than 50% of the defensive reps last year. I have always considered the nickel back to be a "starter". After all, he usually gets more reps that at least one of the starting defensive linemen, and perhaps more than one of the starting linebackers.

Bill's strategy with an injury weakened Run Defense was to INVITE the run and DISCOURAGE the Pass. That way he could surrender time consuming run offenses, and discourage fast scoring pass offenses. He the hoped to outscore the opponents while keeping the Points Allowed Against rather low.

It worked.

I think it is wrong to use that percentage picture of sub Defenses as a true guide.

Guys, I'm all for a football player being in terrific game shape,not breaking bench press records. Strength is just part of it. I like players having top endurance/flexibility/agility/strength/ field and positional awareness. And realize games are every week but preparation is a full time job. And take pride in knowing they are playing at their max levels and wanting to be better football players than their last game as an individual player and as part of a team. Our whole team treating their career as a pro athlete like Jerry Rice. Although it would be nice for a WR/TE jerk Sherman off the ground at the snap. :)

If a players workout stats transfer to the field and he is a player then better workout ##'s are just an indication his work is paying off through better endurance/faster 10 and 40 times as well as other drills. Jerel Worthy is known as lazy. He isn't bad for a lazy player. He had 3 sacks as a rookie in part time play. He also had an acl injury last yr. So he hasn't been a bust and he did OK for a team that limits rookies snaps with 3 sacks while being lazy/unfocused. Couple that with a patriot work ethic which he will adopt if he wants to collect NFL paychecks and he could be special. Especially if teammates who work even harder than team standards rub off on him. Raw talent to be a standout player is there.

I think it is wrong to use that percentage picture of sub Defenses as a true guide.

I'm not sure what your opinion is of a "true guide" (obviously it's not written in stone), but if you've noticed, the defensive percentages of subs have pretty much risen almost every year, and continue to do so.

Last year we were in sub packages 2/3 of the time. I wouldn't expect anything less than 60%, that's for sure. Our "base" defense has basically become obsolete, having only been in base 31% of the reps last season.

Jerel Worthy is known as lazy. He isn't bad for a lazy player. He had 3 sacks as a rookie in part time play. He also had an acl injury last yr. So he hasn't been a bust and he did OK for a team that limits rookies snaps with 3 sacks while being lazy/unfocused. Couple that with a patriot work ethic which he will adopt if he wants to collect NFL paychecks and he could be special. Especially if teammates who work even harder than team standards rub off on him. Raw talent to be a standout player is there.

It was the typical "low risk--high reward" signing for them. If he works out, all the better, and it only costs a 7th round pick if/when he makes the 53 man roster. If not, nothing is lost.

I'm not sure what your opinion is of a "true guide" (obviously it's not written in stone), but if you've noticed, the defensive percentages of subs have pretty much risen almost every year, and continue to do so.

Last year we were in sub packages 2/3 of the time. I wouldn't expect anything less than 60%, that's for sure. Our "base" defense has basically become obsolete, having only been in base 31% of the reps last season.

I'd agree with the League average or some discount, say 60% overall, over the anomalous percentage from last year. Last year's sub percentage was biased as I explained.

I'd agree with the League average or some discount, say 60% overall, over the anomalous percentage from last year. Last year's sub percentage was biased as I explained.

I see where you were going now.

Yeah, 60% seems to be a decent starting point in my opinion.

Then again, I haven't broken down the "passing teams" on this year's schedule vs. last year's either, so it may be possible that we see close to 65% again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back