PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to sign Torry Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torry Holt is one of the most precise and best route runners I have ever seen. While he certainly isn't the athlete that he once was, he should be a valuable asset to this offense because of his intelligence. I am very happy with this acquisition which is a big upgrade to our WR corps, for at least one season.

Holt's here to develop BRANDON TATE
smiley_emoticons_xmas4_kaffee2.gif
Fixed. I'm not sure how anyone thinks this is a bad signing. Did people just forget that Aiken and Stanback were getting regular snaps last season? Even if all he does is put up Gaffney's 500 yards it's a win.

I know there are some very superficial similarities between Galloway and Holt, but they are two very different players. Galloway was never much of a route runner and more of just a burner down the field.

Holt has always been an excellent route runner and runs far more complex routes. He is quick, not fast. He is comparable to what Deion Branch was for the Pats, not what Galloway was for anyone.

But the signing of Holt doesn't solve the problem at WR. The team still needs to add another guy to play the role as #2 WR until Welker returns. How do you feel with, Moss, Holt, Edelman, Tate/Aiken/Patten as your WRs to start the season? Defenses can still put all their attention on Moss and I feel like the Patriots still dont have another WR that can beat defenses on their own.

We still need to draft a receiver. That's undeniable. Also undeniable is the fact that we are now better on offense than we were yesterday. You can argue that it's not an impact signing and it really isn't. But it upgrades the team nonetheless.

But the signing of Holt doesn't solve the problem at WR. The team still needs to add another guy to play the role as #2 WR until Welker returns. How do you feel with, Moss, Holt, Edelman, Tate/Aiken/Patten as your WRs to start the season? Defenses can still put all their attention on Moss and I feel like the Patriots still dont have another WR that can beat defenses on their own.

You don't give enough credit to Edelman (who will be in his second year in the system) and Holt (700+ yards in a run first offense as opposed to Aiken barely getting over 300 yards in a pass first offense as a featured WR for the majority of the year). I agree that they should still look at a WR in the draft, but I'd feel a helluva lot better going into the season today with this WR corps as opposed to yesterday.

Yeah, people also hear the name Torry Holt and think back to his glory days with the Rams and dont realize that he only has 1 or 2 years left in the league and his best days are behind him.

Of course, that doesn't account for the fact that we only need him for a year and even in the twilight of his career, he's still good for 700+ (with mediocre QBs) yards, which is precisely what we need from the WR3 spot. Unless, that is, you prefer Aiken's 300 yards receiving.

If he does sign, I hope he leaves the cobwebs at home

Of course, that doesn't account for the fact that we only need him for a year and even in the twilight of his career, he's still good for 700+ (with mediocre QBs) yards, which is precisely what we need from the WR3 spot. Unless, that is, you prefer Aiken's 300 yards receiving.

But we don't have a hole at WR3!

/rabid homer ;)

Last edited:
100% agree

Fans are so hungry for any impact signing and signs of life from the FO, they will spin this as brilliant good value pick up.

Get an education. I say that cause your opinion has so many holes and such flawed logic, it's astounding.

would not be suprised to see the pats take a flyer on a couple of productive possession type (rich gunnell) in day 3......

Best two WR I saw play last year were Freddie Barnes of Bowling Green (Thought of Troy Brown-just catches everything and always gets open) and Bryan Anderson 6'5" 214 4.58 speed ! (Thought of a bigger Brian Fineran of Atlanta) of Central Mich. Seriously! Both way done the pecking order but I saw these guys as players. I have seen tape on the other top tier guys and these guys were as productive.

Anderson Receiving
Season TEAM G RECPT YDS TDS
2006-07 Central Michigan 14 73 867 5
2007-08 Central Michigan 14 90 1132 10
2008-09 Central Michigan 12 63 865 6
2009-10 Central Michigan 14 64 784 7
TOTAL 54 290 3648 28

Academic All-MAC honoree

I think BB is enamored with Scott Long from Louisville and Andre Roberts from Citadel (Military school-makes sense)
DW Toys

We still need to draft a receiver. That's undeniable. Also undeniable is the fact that we are now better on offense than we were yesterday. You can argue that it's not an impact signing and it really isn't. But it upgrades the team nonetheless.

They still need to find a #2 WR until Welker is ready to return. Was it a bad signing?, no of course not. He will help the team, but they still lack depth at the WR position.

This is an underrated signing. Holt still has something left in the tank. His presence will help solidify the receiving corps. I still expect them to draft a receiver fairly high. Holt will help take pressure off a rookie wr...

You don't give enough credit to Edelman (who will be in his second year in the system) and Holt (700+ yards in a run first offense as opposed to Aiken barely getting over 300 yards in a pass first offense as a featured WR for the majority of the year). I agree that they should still look at a WR in the draft, but I'd feel a helluva lot better going into the season today with this WR corps as opposed to yesterday.

I feel better than yesterday as well, but still last year the team lacked a #3 WR. Added to that we lost Welker, so if Welker didnt get injured then I would like where we were at WR with Moss, Welker, Edelman, Holt, Tate, Patten and Aiken, but as of now they still lack a #2 WR. I dont think Edelman is ready to be a #2 WR, he made great strides last season but you have to remember hes only played the position for 1 year. Holt's best years are definitely behind him and he isnt a #2 WR anymore.

But the Pats still need to replace Welker until he returns, Holt doesnt do that

But we don't have a hole at WR3!

/rabid homer ;)

Seriously.

Watching Aiken as a starting WR brings me back to days when we had Tony Gaiter and Shockmain Davis out there stretching the field. Or perhaps a little Sir Mawn Wilson!?

:bricks:

But the Pats still need to replace Welker until he returns, Holt doesnt do that

Edelman is our replacement for Welker in the slot. I agree we need another #2 across from Moss. That player could be a Williams in round 2.

I feel better than yesterday as well, but still last year the team lacked a #3 WR. Added to that we lost Welker, so if Welker didnt get injured then I would like where we were at WR with Moss, Welker, Edelman, Holt, Tate, Patten and Aiken, but as of now they still lack a #2 WR. I dont think Edelman is ready to be a #2 WR, he made great strides last season but you have to remember hes only played the position for 1 year. Holt's best years are definitely behind him and he isnt a #2 WR anymore.

That's the thing, though. Our slot receiver has been our WR2 since Welker got here. Edelman will assume that role next season and Holt will serve as our WR3, taking the place of Sam Aiken. Receiver is still a need in the draft, but it's nowhere near as big of a need as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick