WR1: Moss
- Tate?

WR2: Welker
- Edelman
- ?

WR3: Holt
- Tate
- Patten

Aiken, Stanbach and Slater are currently at the bottom of the pile, I'd expect.

That seems to me as if it's the current positional breakdown at receiver. It leaves the Patriots looking for someone to fill the WR1 role if Moss is out, and someone to be a backup to Edelman at WR2 until Welker returns, as well as looking for another possible candidate to compete for the WR3 slot (one person could certainly fit more than one of these roles).

Much, much better than Aiken. Happy with the signing.

Agreeing more and more as I read about him.

We still should draft a WR though.

Not obvious, at least past late-round-flyer types. Consider:

Vets -- Moss, Welker, Holt
Youngsters -- Tate, Edelman, Stanbach
Emergency -- Aiken and/or Slater

WR1: Moss
- Tate?

WR2: Welker
- Edelman
- ?

WR3: Holt
- Tate
- Patten

Aiken, Stanbach and Slater are currently at the bottom of the pile, I'd expect.

That seems to me as if it's the current positional breakdown at receiver. It leaves the Patriots looking for someone to fill the WR1 role if Moss is out, and someone to be a backup to Edelman at WR2 until Welker returns, as well as looking for another possible candidate to compete for the WR3 slot (one person could certainly fit more than one of these roles).

tate? based on what?

it's a sign that welker will likely be gone for most of next season. however, I can see the pats draft a WR to fill in the No. 2 spot. Then we'll have:

WR-Moss
WR- draft
WR-Edelman
WR- Holt

THen if welker comes back we can drop Holt to number 5.

I'm hoping Tate can make a solid contribution. I'm not holding my breath for a draft pick to come in and make an impact, but I hope I'm wrong.

:confused:

What on earth are you talking about?

If anything, it's a sign that Aiken is not a satisfactory WR3.

i'm not saying he's going to fill in for welker but he gives the team more depth obviously in the event welker won't return. i never expected a WR signing and no one did. everyone here thought we would draft a WR to replace welker, keep Edelman at 3 and Tate at 4. It's possibly a sign that welker won't return until mid way through the season.

Last edited:
Not a sexy signing, but it should work out alot better than Galloway.

I am still holding out hope for Lance Moore, though.

i'm not saying he's going to fill in for welker but he gives the team more depth obviously in the event welker won't return. i never expected a WR signing and no one did. everyone here thought we would draft a WR to replace welker, keep Edelman at 3 and Tate at 4.

I'm not sure who "everyone" is. I certainly have talked about veterans rather than draft picks for the WR position.

Lots of excitement here over this signing, all though I guess with whats happened this off season (nothing) most pats fans would be excited if they signed a price checker from the local Walmart.

Yeah, people also hear the name Torry Holt and think back to his glory days with the Rams and dont realize that he only has 1 or 2 years left in the league and his best days are behind him.

everyone here thought we would draft a WR to replace welker, keep Edelman at 3 and Tate at 4.
I expect Welker to be back Week 1 (seriously), Holt to be in Gaffney's old spot with Edelman and Tate providing depth, youth and potential.

Yeah, people also hear the name Torry Holt and think back to his glory days with the Rams and dont realize that he only has 1 or 2 years left in the league and his best days are behind him.

I actually hear Torry Holt and think of the guy who had 750 receiving yards last season with Garrard throwing the football.

Then I remember balls bouncing off Sam Aiken's chest at least twice a game and feel that at the very least we now have a more reliable option in the passing game. Some young talent is still needed, but the Holt signing means an upgrade over what he had last year.

it's a sign that welker will likely be gone for most of next season. however, I can see the pats draft a WR to fill in the No. 2 spot. Then we'll have:

WR-Moss
WR- draft
WR-Edelman
WR- Holt

THen if welker comes back we can drop Holt to number 5.

We could draft GTate and then flush him before he has a chance to make an impact. It could become an annual tradition.

Seriously, you've given up on BTate already? If you were my boss I would never call in sick.

Not sure why all the negativity...This is a terrific signing.

This is a huge upgrade over Aiken. Hopefully he can learn the offense. I agree with those who say that we should still draft a receiver though.

I expect Welker to be back Week 1 (seriously), Holt to be in Gaffney's old spot with Edelman and Tate providing depth, youth and potential.

do you really think Holt will be higher on the depth chart than Edelman? i'm not so sure.

do you really think Holt will be higher on the depth chart than Edelman? i'm not so sure.

I think they're too different positions really. Edelman is more the slot receiver type and Holt is the intermediate (with Moss being the deep guy). Once Welker is back, I think Holt fills the outside role better than Edelman.

This is a huge upgrade over Aiken. Hopefully he can learn the offense. I agree with those who say that we should still draft a receiver though.

We absolutely still need to draft a WR in the early rounds..

But adding Holt can ONLY help. Not sure why people arent on board with this deal..

Should we have gone into the draft with Aiken as our 3rd? Holt can run routes, catch the ball, he'll add to this offense.

To whoever said "people hear Holt and think of his glory days" what? No. People hear Holt and think "He's an upgrade over Aiken" Clearly Holt isnt a probowler anymore....SO WHAT? He's a huge upgrade over what we had. So for that reason, it's a great signing. Period.

In standard 3 WR formations I do. Except if Welker is out, then Edelman takes his spot.

Assuming Moss and Welker are playing, I expect Edelman and Tate to battle it out for 4th/5th WR snaps unless one looks terrific and just beats out Holt which is possible but less than 50-50 IMO given their (lack of) experience.

We could draft GTate and then flush him before he has a chance to make an impact. It could become an annual tradition.

Seriously, you've given up on BTate already? If you were my boss I would never call in sick.

ok, say we draft Golden Tate. Where would B Tate fit in, with Holt presumably occupying the 4th spot? If anything, Holt and Tate would have to compete for the same spot. THen if Welker comes back, it'll be Moss, Welker, G Tate, Edelman. Holt or B Tate would drop to 5.

Last edited:

What's the difference? THe point is that he's a big upgrade over Aiken and Stanback. He's also an upgrade over Patten.

I was fairly impressed with Holt in the games I saw him play, considering Garrard was pretty bad.

It's not a sexy Marshall-like move, but it's still a good move and a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes