PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to sign Torry Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Edelman and Tate already on the roster, is there really a need for another young guy?

I think next year is supposed to be very deep at WR? Or is that only at the top end?

Well, I don't know about drafting a wideout. To me, that would depend on what they thought of Tate's potential. However, I would definitely like to see another veteran brought in. Unless he decays in the offseason, Holt should be an improvement over Aiken, but that was the case with Galloway last year, too, and I'm not of the opinion that David Patten is enough veteran competition.

Moss and Holt are signed for one year. Welker I think is signed for two years.

As far as young guys, we got Tate and Edelman. I don't think it would hurt for a developmental prospect later in the draft.

Last edited:
That is a good deal. Not a lot of money or a long term committment.

And it says "up to 1.7"... possibly some incentive based clauses based on games played, or something like that?

This is an awesome signing...for 1999.

For 2010, it's just more camp fodder/garbage.

With Edelman and Tate already on the roster, is there really a need for another young guy?

Tate isnt in the discussion. He hasnt played football in 2 years and his knees are a huge question mark. You can base our WR needs off of Edelman but Tate is a ?

Hope this is true. Torry Holt is still a solid player. He's played in some fairly complex offenses, so hopefully he won't have Galloway's problems. This signing gives Brady another big receiver to throw to on the outside. We should be set up fairly well with Moss, Holt, and Edelman. Holt is still a starting-quality #2 or #3 receiver.

Did you have anyone in mind? Coles?

I don't have anyone in mind, and I actually don't favor signing Coles. Now that Holt has been brought in, I think it's probably a smart move to wait until veterans start getting axed post-draft, since the scuttlebutt is that we could see a fair amount of that this year.

Not to mention he's not coming off an injury plagued season, unless I missed a big one. And he seems like more of a route runner than Galloway who was speed speed speed.

I'm thinking of Holt as a Deon Branch type guy, who still has the acceleration to create separation, and runs crisp routes. In other word's, he'll be where Brady expects him to be. This is an EXCELLENT short term signing. With 50 catches in a pass deficient offense, he has shown that he STILL has skills to play the game. With Edelman/Welker and Moss taking up most of the looks, 40-50 catches by Holt is just what this team needs right now.

That's on the upside, the only downside is if Tate or one of the rookies out play him, and if that happens, it isn't a bad thing. Its a no risk situation.

It also makes it more likely that we pick a TE in the first 4 picks.

BTW - AGE isn't a factor here this is most likely a one year deal

This is an awesome signing...for 1999.

For 2010, it's just more camp fodder/garbage.

It could certainly pan out that way, but given recent production, injury history, and style, there's little reason to believe this to be the case.

We always need our resident pessimists to keep us in line, though.

I think next year is supposed to be very deep at WR? Or is that only at the top end?

There are four super WR's that could go in the first round next year. Green of Georgia, Jones of Alabama, Floyd of Notre Dame and Bladwin of Pitt.

Holt's got some experience winning, albeit a decade ago. And correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure someone would, but he's always been a good guy in the locker room and a loyal guy up until the point there was nothing left to be loyal to in St. Louis. Another mentor for some young talent we should still be drafting (although I'd prefer in the 4th...and later) who projects to have enough gas left to be a bridge to the future as well. Nothing not to like about this signing. I'd have preferred The Twig because of his system history, but there is no way to predict he will become available at this kind of price (free like Patten and Holt).

Moss and Holt are signed for one year. Welker I think is signed for two years.

As far as young guys, we got Tate and Edelman. I don't think it would hurt for a developmental prospect later in the draft.

I don't think it would hurt, as you put it. I simply think that this team has a boatload of problems at multiple positions, and a developmental rookie WR is not likely to solve them.

I'm thinking of Holt as a Deon Branch type guy, who still has the acceleration to create separation, and runs crisp routes. In other word's, he'll be where Brady expects him to be. This is an EXCELLENT short term signing. With 50 catches in a pass deficient offense, he has shown that he STILL has skills to play the game. With Edelman/Welker and Moss taking up most of the looks, 40-50 catches by Holt is just what this team needs right now.

That's on the upside, the only downside is if Tate or one of the rookies out play him, and if that happens, it isn't a bad thing. Its a no risk situation.

I agree.........................

I am thinking this is a domino situation. Seattle does not get Marshall, so they must keep Branch, so BB goes to plan B and signs Holt.

I like the Holt signing. He is a perfect veteran X to line up on the outside opposite Moss at the Z. If he stays healthy, he should be able to contribute and help clear the underneath for Edelman.

Excellent signing on paper.

I don't think it would hurt, as you put it. I simply think that this team has a boatload of problems at multiple positions, and a developmental rookie WR is not likely to solve them.

Exactly ... I'm more looking down the road. Next year Moss and Holt might not be on the team.

Holt's got some experience winning, albeit a decade ago. And correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure someone would, but he's always been a good guy in the locker room and a loyal guy up until the point there was nothing left to be loyal to in St. Louis. Another mentor for some young talent we should still be drafting (although I'd prefer in the 4th...and later) who projects to have enough gas left to be a bridge to the future as well. Nothing not to like about this signing. I'd have preferred The Twig because of his system history, but there is no way to predict he will become available at this kind of price (free like Patten and Holt).

Adding Branch to this group would make for a nice training camp competition. So I guess we should hope the Williams boys work out well during Seattle's OTAs.

Last edited:
I like this signing. Reliable hands and route running unlike Galloway, quality depth. I still expect Pats to add another WR through the draft but Moss, Tate, Edelman, Holt, Patten, and potentially Welker is much better depth than last year. I think Belichick realized you can't go 4 wide when you have guys like Aiken and Stanback starting.

There are four super WR's that could go in the first round next year. Green of Georgia, Jones of Alabama, Floyd of Notre Dame and Bladwin of Pitt.

That was my recollection.

Doubt the Patriots will be picking low enough to snag any of those guys.

BB, stick to coaching please, Torry Holt was all done 2 years ago

Wow I like this alot...This seems like a perfect guy to help curb the early season loss of Welker and to Curb against Edelman and Tate and a rookie not developing enough.

Moss
Welker
Edelman
Holt
Tate

Looks real good to me. Add a 6th Wr for STs and maybe a 7th until Welker is ready and incase after Welker return one of the Sophmores don't develope.

The 6th guy I will call Aiken as he is one good STer
The 7th is whoever wins Patten, late rd Rookie/s, and the holdover guys from last year.

What really excites me about this is from what I have heard about Holt thru the years is that he is one of the smartest WR in the league which would mean the anti-Galloway (not to dog his smarts but the reports were he just didn't pick the system here). And its not like his production is gone it just dropped off and so did his QB play so maybe he resurges a little with us and if not his production last year was enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News